2-Channel Pre-amp versus Expensive AV processor

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I applied that same theory to a AVR w/ amps and AV with no amps....like you said it may not matter, but I'm finding there seems to be a lot of gray area in this industry.
Me too, my initial comments about everything in the same box is not much of a problem was based on not keeping the unit for longer than say,5 years. Beyond that, the longevity factor may just become an important factor, and I stated that in the last sentence. My HT setup is based on the AV8801 now, but when the time come, I may just replace it with a Denon AVR for use as a prepro, unless I can get a sweet deal like yours on a AV8803, or 8805:D if my 8801 will last that long.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My HT setup is based on the AV8801 now, but when the time come, I may just replace it with a Denon AVR for use as a prepro, unless I can get a sweet deal like yours on a AV8803, or 8805:D if my 8801 will last that long.
My great deal was more like great timing I think...The 8802 was what he showed me 1st. The "A" was either already out or coming out soon. They had 2 in box left and he offered me 15% off the price...I asked about the differences to the 7702mkii...he told me but said the 7703 was already out he wasn't sure if they had anymore of the 2mkii...checked, he had one in box remaining on that one and matched an online price I showed him...the rest is history...had enough in my budget to buy the amps I mentioned.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My great deal was more like great timing I think...The 8802 was what he showed me 1st. The "A" was either already out or coming out soon. They had 2 in box left and he offered me 15% off the price...I asked about the differences to the 7702mkii...he told me but said the 7703 was already out he wasn't sure if they had anymore of the 2mkii...checked, he had one in box remaining on that one and matched an online price I showed him...the rest is history...had enough in my budget to buy the amps I mentioned.
The difference between the 7702 MKII and the 8802A is minimal in terms of audio specs. 8802 has a better DAC and the power transformer is a toroidal one (not always better either), that's about it, the rest of the copper chassis, better shielding etc., won't translated into audible improvements. You would also end up having to get it upgraded to HDCP2.2 unless you don't need it. Good thing you did not go for the 8802 because 15% off is way too low, 30% or more would have been more reasonable, if this was recent. Congrats to your good decision!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This was really about stereo preamp with HT by pass vs AV I think.

That said, the AVR vs AV + amp debate is a hard one to "win" for the AV side if you are grounded in the sounds better theory.

Mine reasoning for separates was two fold...1...Longevity. Amps generate heat, the harder they work results in more heat imo...combining that in one case with the processing and control seemingly would take some time off the shelf life vs putting the amps in a separate case.

The 2nd...Value. The price I got on the close out AV was $500 lower than the AVR I was considering, so I was able to get a more robust amp w/ dedicated power supply for what amounted to about $350 more than the AVR....Not that I'm one to sneeze at $350 but I did recognize it as a better value long term.
What's the difference between an av and avr? No tuner/internet function? You can always add cooling to an avr (or amp if needed).

ps Looking back answered my own question....AV as in model designation used by Marantz. Just not a good general abbreviation, tho. AVP maybe.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Good thing you did not go for the 8802 because 15% off is way too low, 30% or more would have been more reasonable, if this was recent. Congrats to your good decision!
Thanks. I think the store knew the current street prices pretty well actually. With his 15% off I could not have gotten the 8802 for much less online and anywhere else (he was not discounting off msrp)....the 7702mkii gave me everything I was really looking for in a processor...32/192 dac, multi zone, XLR in case I run into a WAF issue with all the amps I can run them to a rack in a closet, plus all the surround options I could want.

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
I am in the process switching from 2 ch to a 8802a pre amp , emotiva xpa 5 gen 3 and a700 for mulit zone music and 5.1 ht , with a sub in zone 1 and 2 , the pro installer will be out to day to hook up and calabrate ,the audio and video . he likes parasound also but this has been a expensive remodel of exterior of the house and bar room and ht room and now $$$$$ audio gear . ill get parasound amps another day as i do love them i will keep informaned how it truns out ,

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What's the difference between an av and avr? No tuner/internet function? You can always add cooling to an avr (or amp if needed).

ps Looking back answered my own question....AV as in model designation used by Marantz. Just not a good general abbreviation, tho. AVP maybe.
Denon already has the AVP-A1HDCI. So maybe they agreed that Marantz can't also have the "AVP". :D

2channel lover

I am in the process switching from 2 ch to a 8802a pre amp , emotiva xpa 5 gen 3 and a700 for mulit zone music and 5.1 ht , with a sub in zone 1 and 2 , the pro installer will be out to day to hook up and calabrate ,the audio and video . he likes parasound also but this has been a expensive remodel of exterior of the house and bar room and ht room and now $$$$$ audio gear . ill get parasound amps another day as i do love them i will keep informaned how it truns out ,
Sounds pretty extensive...Parasound makes great amps...and yes sir, they can be pricey. I was tempted to get a multizone amp from them that can connect maybe 10 prs of speakers.

I have a medium size (3100 sf) 1.5 story open floorplan and ultimately decided I could do with just 5 speakers...stereo in the family room, sunroom and 1 speaker in the master...2 zones, so I powered this with an emo A500.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

For the question of cooling a receiver or a power amplifier, AC Infinity makes very well built and relatively quiet fans at a very affordable price. They are available with a speed control and a thermostatic control with a little screen display is optional as well. You can get them through Amazon stores which carry their complete line.
I am using two 40 cfm units at medium speed, which I installed on top of my Marantz SR5010. They are very effective indeed and they will surely help prolonging its life.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For the question of cooling a receiver or a power amplifier, AC Infinity makes very well built and relatively quiet fans at a very affordable price. They are available with a speed control and a thermostatic control with a little screen display is optional as well. You can get them through Amazon stores which carry their complete line.
I am using two 40 cfm units at medium speed, which I installed on top of my Marantz SR5010. They are very effective indeed and they will surely help prolonging its life.
Yep I've got a few of these in use on avrs in tighter spaces.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis