Infinity 1260w build

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey guys, I've got an Infinity 1260w that was going to be for the theater, but now I don't need it so it is going to become an end table in my living room.

I've got the driver: 1260w
I've got the amp: Yung SD300

The amp should pair well with this driver. I had great results with two of the DVC version of this driver in my theater getting the same 300w and they were fantastic so I have high hopes.

My plan is to build a simple ~2 cu ft sealed box for the driver and build the table around it. The amp will be at the back of the table facing the wall and it will have a down firing driver config.

I've seen a number of this type of build a few times around the internet, but wanted some feedback from those that have done something like this.

Is my method the easiest way? I've got sheets of MDF in the garage for the driver box and plan to grab some birch for the table build.

Thoughts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking forward to your progress so tuning in. Sounds like a good plan, I also have seen others do it, but haven't yet myself. Have you looked thru this thread for ideas or input?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have. AVS can be a bit pretentious at times so I don't post much there. Plus their threads get too big to have a real conversation.

I have seen that thread though. Pretty much how I got the plans that are in my head. We'll see how it actually turns out though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have. AVS can be a bit pretentious at times so I don't post much there. Plus their threads get too big to have a real conversation.

I have seen that thread though. Pretty much how I got the plans that are in my head. We'll see how it actually turns out though.
LOL yeah but a lot of good information if you sift thru it, but just looking at the pictures and asking specific questions to those guys who built 'em can be informative; there's a handful of super knowledgeable/helpful guys in the diysubforum. BTW I did send you a pm about your subs, as I've got one 1262 sealed finished recently and another to go.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Many years ago, I had a pair of the 1260 in my car! I ended up selling them and moving to something a bit smaller, that was just too much for a smaller sports car!

At that time, I had no idea that people were building capable HT subs with those drivers. I wish I had kept them for HT duty.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Many years ago, I had a pair of the 1260 in my car! I ended up selling them and moving to something a bit smaller, that was just too much for a smaller sports car!

At that time, I had no idea that people were building capable HT subs with those drivers. I wish I had kept them for HT duty.
I honestly bought them based on a recommendation from Jinjuku. For $60 each even if they weren't great for HT I could have used them for something else. Turns out they are fantastic for HT.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I honestly bought them based on a recommendation from Jinjuku. For $60 each even if they weren't great for HT I could have used them for something else. Turns out they are fantastic for HT.
Yeah, I can confirm that they are fantastic in your car trunk too!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ok. Got everything put together and tested. Got a wireless sub adapter that works, but was a pain to get working. Had to turn up the sub output up all the way on the receiver to get it to actually output sound to the sub.

Anyway, here are the sub box and amp pics. Will begin construction of the actual table in the next few days.

I used one of my unfinished boxes from the now deconstructed theater. It's one of the first I ever built so it's ugliness can be hidden inside the end table.

Amp works great. Used an old receiver that's for my garage speakers to make sure everything does what it's supposed to. Forgot how nice it is to have real bass. Even from a cheap 12" driver and only 300w to power it. Very nice. Sounded good in the living room where it's home will be.

I'll update with build pics of the actual table, but I'm going to put my plan on here in case anyone can find a better way to do it.

The actual table will be 27"H 22.5"W 17.5"D so the 15x15x15 box will fit inside just fine. Snug even. I had planned to build the table and cut out the driver diameter in the bottom since this will be a down firing sub. Then I just have to cut out the back for the amp. Once I drop the sub box into the table I can either screw it in place or glue it. Or both depending on whether or not I ever want to be able to remove the box. The main thing is that I don't want the table to rattle at all. That is the most important thing.

So, good plan or no?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd not want to make it so I couldn't get at the driver or amp so gluing that box in place I'd avoid. I'd think good external bracing and/or some weather stripping between box baffle and table should take care of sealing/vibration as much as gluing with still providing access down the line. Not even sure I'd want to cut into the box for the amp vs placing the amp on/in the table.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Plate amp will be recessed into the back of the table. Woofer box is done and won't be changing.

Even if I solid mount the box inside the table the driver will still be easily removed since the bottom of the table will be open.

I like the idea of bracing the box in the table. I had figured the solid mount would take care, but I'll do that too. I'm a big fan of overbuilding.

Eng-399

Eng-399

Audioholic Intern
These subs were a great deal I wish they weren't discontinued. The infinity sub thread on avs was the one I started after seeing how they performed. It's a great sub for the money! I had 8 of them nearfield and really liked how they performed. Brace the box well these subs move some air.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These subs were a great deal I wish they weren't discontinued. The infinity sub thread on avs was the one I started after seeing how they performed. It's a great sub for the money! I had 8 of them nearfield and really liked how they performed. Brace the box well these subs move some air.
Yep your thread had a lot to do with me trying a pair....why this driver is discontinued....
Plate amp will be recessed into the back of the table. Woofer box is done and won't be changing.

Even if I solid mount the box inside the table the driver will still be easily removed since the bottom of the table will be open.

I like the idea of bracing the box in the table. I had figured the solid mount would take care, but I'll do that too. I'm a big fan of overbuilding.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thread tagged. I wanna watch this build. These threads are fun and more often than not, I end up learning something new.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thread tagged. I wanna watch this build. These threads are fun and more often than not, I end up learning something new.
Try the search function for AH. I think there is a pretty long thread on HT subs built with that driver, started by one of the long time regulars here.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to have a pair in my car trunk and it was just silly bass.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think there is a sticky from Jin for a dual opposed build with this driver.

Great driver if you can find them. Amazon is supposedly going to have them in stock again somehow.

...I shouldn't have said that

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I think there is a sticky from Jin for a dual opposed build with this driver.

Great driver if you can find them. Amazon is supposedly going to have them in stock again somehow.

...I shouldn't have said that
Is this it?

I was thinking about building a coffee table around mine. Will be watching to see what you come up with. I was thinking about using a combination of a welded aluminum frame with wood.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Is this it?

I was thinking about building a coffee table around mine. Will be watching to see what you come up with. I was thinking about using a combination of a welded aluminum frame with wood.
Yeah, that's it. I'm going with a pretty simple table. I'll be grabbing the wood today after I play around with some stains to see what matches my current furniture.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, that's it. I'm going with a pretty simple table. I'll be grabbing the wood today after I play around with some stains to see what matches my current furniture.
I ordered one of the drivers for the heck of it, so thanks for mentioning that it would be available. And thanks to lovinthehd for saying how one can never have enough subwoofers.

I'm curious to see what they sound like for that price.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I ordered one of the drivers for the heck of it, so thanks for mentioning that it would be available. And thanks to lovinthehd for saying how one can never have enough subwoofers.

I'm curious to see what they sound like for that price.
Let me know when you get it since they say it will take 2 weeks or so. I need another one so I'll be ordering one too.

I think you'll be surprised at how good a drier that cheap will sound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis