Recommend me a wi-fi modem/router!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am changing my service and am not keen on paying $10/month for a modem rental. Generally, I haven't see much problem with modems flaking out
My service is Windstream and the speed is "up to 25 Mbps" (my neighbor says he sees 20Mbps with the same package).
I asked Windstream if there were any special criteria and he looked it up and said it had to be a "bonded" modem. I've never heard of that, but I think they "bond" two DSL lines to get the speed up to 25Mbps.

Am I right in this situation in believing I am better off using my own modem? If so, what is a good one for reliability.
Budget is flexible, but I am not into to being on the cutting edge with this stuff. Reliability (connection and durability of unit) is far more important that sheer speed (and I don't think my 20Mbps connection will challenge the current ability of a standard mainstream modem).

Thanks for your help!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt, I got mine from ebay refurbished and it has worked like a charm. It is an Arris DG860 and right now my speed is 60 MBPS! Gave like $25 delivered! My provider is Time Warner albeit Spectrum. Have had it now for almost a year w/o any issues whatsoever. It has more than paid for itself.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks!
You reminded me that I need to specify DSL modem - not everyone knows Windstream is DSL because they are a regional company like Frontier.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
While I have a different modem, the spec on this is pretty good. Don't limit a modem that only meets your present service speed. What if they increase it for free?
Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013C4L6OE?psc=1 You do need that Dos3 capability, etc.
This is Docsis3 modem for cable internet. It won't work for any dsl service provide.
(upto) 25mps on bonded dsl is pretty much as is fast it would ever get. Atleast till g.fast becomes an option.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
This is Docsis3 modem for cable internet. It won't work for any dsl service provide.
(upto) 25mps on bonded dsl is pretty much as is fast it would ever get. Atleast till g.fast becomes an option.
Thanks. I missed that DSL phone connection.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's too bad that it is DSL. My area was scheduled to get Google Fiber but they've since delayed those plans. Comcast is doing OK for now.

Kurt, I got mine from ebay refurbished and it has worked like a charm. It is an Arris DG860 and right now my speed is 60 MBPS! Gave like $25 delivered! My provider is Time Warner albeit Spectrum. Have had it now for almost a year w/o any issues whatsoever. It has more than paid for itself.
I'm clocking in at 240 MBPS down :) Arris 6183.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That's too bad that it is DSL. My area was scheduled to get Google Fiber but they've since delayed those plans. Comcast is doing OK for now.

I'm clocking in at 240 MBPS down :) Arris 6183.
Wow John that is pretty slow......LOL!!!!!!! For $10 more a month I can more than double my speed, but there is no need. Plus, I can put that $10 to better use. But, your speed is blazing no doubt!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I knew just enough about my particular type of dsl service (the only choice here other than sat) a few years ago when I moved here to find there's like two choices of modem, an Actiontec vs Zyxel model, don't recall the phrase bonded dsl, forget what my type is. I moved in at 12-14 Mbps and lately lucky to get 7Mbps (CenturyLink on former Qwest stuff in rural Orygun), would really like something better and more reliable (it drops out/freezes a lot and slowed by about half a while back and they insist I must have changed something which I didn't). I want high speed, and I'd be ecstatic with 60 or so like I used to have back in the bay area (lousy Comcast in some ways tho), but J_garcia's 240 makes me cry a little bit.:(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wow John that is pretty slow......LOL!!!!!!! For $10 more a month I can more than double my speed, but there is no need. Plus, I can put that $10 to better use. But, your speed is blazing no doubt!

Cheers,

Phil
I got 200 Mbps for $8 LESS a month, but it included cable that I don't use. Looks good on their books, saves me a few bucks. It clocks in on multiple speed test sites at 240. Of course it is comcast. I was paying more for 150 than they were offering for the package with 200, which they are doing just to say they have cable subscribers. They figured out offering faster speed would get people to do it once they lowered the price.

Also just got the new ASUS AC3200 router which is giving me better wireless on my 5G capable devices. Next will have to be a PS4 Pro to get it on 5G as well.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, I'm slightly envious of 240Mbps, my home service is only 200Mpbs :(:rolleyes:
I could upgrade to 300mbps, but it won't make financial sense.
TBH Both of these are much more than many MANY places in US could even dream to get at ANY price, but on the other hand, unlike US, in the developed countries like South Korea - getting 1Gig at home is extremely common and very cheap. In Japan 2Gbps is getting to be very common as well.

And then we have KEW who'll probably lucky to get 25mbps or people which had to pay small fortunes to ISP even if all the neighbors had it - http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/when-home-internet-service-costs-5000-or-even-15000/

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Comcast offers 1GB at home here now. It is extremely expensive. It is something like $300 or $400 per month.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Comcast offers 1GB at home here now. It is extremely expensive. It is something like $300 or $400 per month.
I wonder which speed checker will clock that to keep them honest.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ookla makes most of the ones that are used by big sites, including the Comcast one, but I've tried a number of the lesser known ones and gotten the same speed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis