best buy tv calibration....is it worth it??

B

Brandon Charlsen

Audioholic Intern
i just looked at the disney disk and those things are like 90 bucks.....anyone wanna let me borrow one?? or is there a place i can download it on a flash drive?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
i just looked at the disney disk and those things are like 90 bucks.....anyone wanna let me borrow one?? or is there a place i can download it on a flash drive?
As others have stated, it starts with the TV, which yours is not worth paying for calibration. If the diy calibration disks are too expensive, then do it to your liking. If your going to calibrate a video display, and pay, it should be ISF for day and night and if possible and $$ permit each input source.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Speers & Munsil 2nd edition is only $30 and is BD. The disney disk is $10 on DVD. AFAIK, the cals are the same.

B

Brandon Charlsen

Audioholic Intern
Well I'm taking the TV back, getting my money back and getting a LG. I had one before and I loved it. Don't know why I switched

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That's crazy! Totally insane! I got it for free a number of years ago with a projector purchase. They must have discontinued manufacturing, because it was only 20 bucks back then.

Maybe check ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-WOW-World-of-Wonder-Blu-ray-Disc-2010-2-Disc-Set-/262799560359?hash=item3d30130ea7:m:mdG52o8pRugw9Zbc1H8nqtg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Some of the WOW calibrations are on the discs of a few of the Disney movies as well.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Quality of the TV itself aside as others have pointed out that it's probably not worth pursuing a costly calibration, as a general rule of thumb I always do my own calibrations. I have a few older calibration discs that I still use. My thinking is that this thing is an investment, in many cases the centerpiece of your living room and where you'll likely end up focusing your eyes quite often. You want to get to "know" your equipment and the only real way to do that is by tinkering with it yourself. Even though your TV may not be quite top of the line, kudos for at least thinking in terms of calibrating it. Many average consumers just take one home, jack up the settings and forget about it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis