speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, what are YOU using for your low end when on your computer? I have the JBL 305's for my desktop, but I really need some low end punch. Thus, I do listen to a lot of music when I am on my desktop. I have been looking at several options, but none really offer what I am looking for.

I need a sub that will connect to my Dell computer, but also has a High Pass filter when sending signal on to my JBL's. In other words, I do not want to run my 305's full-range. Not looking to spend a small fortune either. That being said, is there anything out there reasonably priced that would work for my needs? The smaller the better. Like always, I prefer a sealed sub. Like to stay under $300 is possible.

BTW, my Dell computer is connected to my Behringer UMC22 DAC via usb 2.0. I have my 305's connected to my DAC via TRS cables. Can I just connect a sub w/the Line out connection? Or, even the headphone connection? Will the usb still function if I do it that way? In other words, will my computer send audio signal via usb and line-out/headphone out at the same exact time? Looking for a very easy way to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks Guys!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Wished there was a way too send a high pass signal to me JBL 305's w/o spending a fortune. The monoprice Studio Sub has everything I am looking for, but a high pass out to my 305's. Is there anything similar that does that under say $300? Here is a link for the monoprice sub:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605999&seq=1&format=2

Is there a way to just but this sub and add some kind of high pass filter to my 305's? I like the price of the monoprice sub. Reviews are very good as well. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
A tad over budget, but not much...maybe THIS? I think that has line level high passed ouputs, but don't quote me.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Most of time nowadays I just use my headphones on my pc due to toddler son. I can safely consider my AKG K712Pro as full range speakers.
But then again mine were Austria made and these cost nice penny, in fact more than some subs
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/970888-REG/akg_2458z00140_k712_pro_hi_performance_headphones.html

(Cheaper ones on amazon, but lacking words "Made in Austria" with cheaper price tag means only one thing - cheaper ones made in China.

Yeah, I bet those are nice. I use my JBL headphones a lot as well. Especially, late at night and/or very early of the morning. However, I also like to listen to my 305's. They are perfectly fine, but just need a bit more punch and low end. Not looking to spend a bunch of money here. But, in order to get what I want it looks like I need to consider the $400-$500 subs. It is doubtful that I will do that. No need to run up a pile of debt. Perhaps, my 305's can play full-range as I do not listen at very loud volumes anyways. Might just take a chance on the monoprice Studio sub.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
A tad over budget, but not much...maybe THIS? I think that has line level high passed ouputs, but don't quote me.
Yeah, the 10S is a nice option. But, also a bit more than I plan to spend. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, just looked thru the manual. Neither via line level outputs and has no high level outputs. They suggest inline filters on the line level connections to the speakers if you want to protect your speakers....they kind of avoid the conversation about a true crossover even when talking about their unit's low pass filter.

Phil...I don't have speakers connected to my pc so no help for ya there.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
No, just looked thru the manual. Neither via line level outputs and has no high level outputs. They suggest inline filters on the line level connections to the speakers if you want to protect your speakers....they kind of avoid the conversation about a true crossover even when talking about their unit's low pass filter.

Phil...I don't have speakers connected to my pc so no help for ya there.
That is okay Chris. I will give Dell a call and ask them when I have the time. Got to looking at the RSL 10S and I do not believe their line out has a high pass X-over. So, I will continue looking until I find something or decide what is best for me. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I have a 25$ (for new) 2.1 (well not really a 2.1, but...) Logitech S200. People often make such preposterous claims, so here's mine :D "If you're buying new speakers, you'll never get better sound for 25$ than s200".

But, it is only this model. I was so surprised by the sound that I wanted to buy a pair for a friend of mine, but the S200's were out and in came the S220, and they simply didn't sound as good. Someone obviously put some effort and thought into S200 and was, of course, fired subsequently for endangering the company :D:D.

I'm not comparing this with monitors, but for that price, I simply never heard anything better.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have a 25$ (for new) 2.1 (well not really a 2.1, but...) Logitech S200. People often make such preposterous claims, so here's mine :D "If you're buying new speakers, you'll never get better sound for 25$ than s200".

But, it is only this model. I was so surprised by the sound that I wanted to buy a pair for a friend of mine, but the S200's were out and in came the S220, and they simply didn't sound as good. Someone obviously put some effort and thought into S200 and was, of course, fired subsequently for endangering the company :D:D.

I'm not comparing this with monitors, but for that price, I simply never heard anything better.
With my last desktop I used some Logitech speakers. They were actually decent. But, over time they got to where they were crackly sounding so I replaced them. My JBL's are fine, just need a little more punch down low. Especially, with kick drums. However, I do think that I have the problem solved.

Cheers,

Phil

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
considering the advice is free, I run a set of Altec Lansings on my iMac. They sound pretty good to me.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
considering the advice is free, I run a set of Altec Lansings on my iMac. They sound pretty good to me.
They sure look nice! Altec has been around a very long time. Bet that they do sound good.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis