speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I have an Arris cable modem/router that I use for my internet at home. My speed measures consistently close to 60 mbps. On the back it has (4) ethernet ports. I actually need a total of (6). How do I get (2) more w/o breaking the bank? I prefer an ethernet connection because it is more reliable and stable. Just need to add (2) more ports. Do I just need to buy a new modem/router? Sure hope not as I am an el cheapo.....LOL!!! Lastly, is 60 mbps a good connection? Is it fast enough or do I need faster? Sorry guys but I am a little out of my element here when it comes to computers. BTW, cheap is GOOD! Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just get cheap 4 or 8 ports network switch. Should not cost more than $30

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just get cheap 4 or 8 ports network switch. Should not cost more than $30

Network switch? Does that decrease my signal strength? The 4 port would work since there is 4 already on the back of my modem. Thanks. Will look into it. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Found this one here:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15761

It looks reasonable enough. Good price too. But, it does limit me to 100 mbps. Not sure is that is enough. Right now I am only getting 60 mbps. Eventually, I am making the move to 4K. Will this suffice? Like I said, bit out of my element here.......LOL!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Network switch? Does that decrease my signal strength? The 4 port would work since there is 4 already on the back of my modem. Thanks. Will look into it. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Phil
A network switch will have no affect on your WiFi signal, in any way. If you use ATT, I would recommend using a different router, though. I think their version of Arris sucks, but Time Warner's works pretty well.

If you think you'll need more ports later (maybe you'll be remodeling or adding on), buy a switch with at least 8 ports. It's amazing how quickly they fill up. I just did a house and put an 8 port in the laundry room for most of the house and then, I originally put a 5 port switch in the cabinet with the basement AV system. I realized very quickly that every piece in the cabinet has an ethernet port, so I went with an 8 port- AVR, AppleTV, U-Verse box, XBox 1, Airport Extreme (as an access point) and another that will go to the next TV they buy.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
A network switch will have no affect on your WiFi signal, in any way. If you use ATT, I would recommend using a different router, though. I think their version of Arris sucks, but Time Warner's works pretty well.

If you think you'll need more ports later (maybe you'll be remodeling or adding on), buy a switch with at least 8 ports. It's amazing how quickly they fill up. I just did a house and put an 8 port in the laundry room for most of the house and then, I originally put a 5 port switch in the cabinet with the basement AV system. I realized very quickly that every piece in the cabinet has an ethernet port, so I went with an 8 port- AVR, AppleTV, U-Verse box, XBox 1, Airport Extreme (as an access point) and another that will go to the next TV they buy.
Thanks a bunch. Will be sure to get an 8-port. I have Time Warner which is now Spectrum. Get ~60 mbps for $35 a month. Seems reasonable to me. Is 60 considered good or a bit slow? Just curious is all. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks a bunch. Will be sure to get an 8-port. I have Time Warner which is now Spectrum. Get ~60 mbps for $35 a month. Seems reasonable to me. Is 60 considered good or a bit slow? Just curious is all. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
I think 60mbps is "good". I wouldn't expect any issues there, just maybe if you start streaming 4K but I haven't done that so I can't tell you.

I get something around 200mbps and that is very good for my needs. I never have any lag for online gaming, that's my most important requirement.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think 60mbps is "good". I wouldn't expect any issues there, just maybe if you start streaming 4K but I haven't done that so I can't tell you.

I get something around 200mbps and that is very good for my needs. I never have any lag for online gaming, that's my most important requirement.
60 mbps seems to be working well for me. But, this time next year I am going to buy me a 55"-65" 4K TV and a 4K BR player. Things will be more settled down then. Hopefully, prices will also be more affordable. Technically, my TV now is 4K. But, it has an 8-bit panel that simulates 10-bit which means it is NOT true 4K. In other words, my TV can process a 4K signal w/HDR, but has no real way to fully display it. For the time being, it will hold me over until I make my move. Dolby Vision will be the way to go because it is 12-bit. At least, that is how I understand it. I am no videophile for sure. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
60 mbps seems to be working well for me. But, this time next year I am going to buy me a 55"-65" 4K TV and a 4K BR player. Things will be more settled down then. Hopefully, prices will also be more affordable. Technically, my TV now is 4K. But, it has an 8-bit panel that simulates 10-bit which means it is NOT true 4K. In other words, my TV can process a 4K signal w/HDR, but has no real way to fully display it. For the time being, it will hold me over until I make my move. Dolby Vision will be the way to go because it is 12-bit. At least, that is how I understand it. I am no videophile for sure. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
Yeah, but if you aren't trying to stream in 4K then your DL speed is a moot point. I just never looked at streaming 4K so I can't say how good that is.

Heck, just a few years ago I had like 5mbps. My bro-in-law has Google Fiber @ 1Gbps! GF isn't available in my area :mad:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, but if you aren't trying to stream in 4K then your DL speed is a moot point. I just never looked at streaming 4K so I can't say how good that is.

Heck, just a few years ago I had like 5mbps. My bro-in-law has Google Fiber @ 1Gbps! GF isn't available in my area :mad:
I see, How do you know if Google Fiber is available in your area? Just curious if it is here in my area. Where do you go to see? Can you provide me a link? Is it expensive? Money is a bit tight right now for me......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I see, How do you know if Google Fiber is available in your area? Just curious if it is here in my area. Where do you go to see? Can you provide me a link? Is it expensive? Money is a bit tight right now for me......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
I would just use Google to search for Google Fiber ;)

Honestly, I *think* it is ONLY available in Kansas City, Austin, and soon San Antonio. There may be a few more by now, but it is pretty limited.

The thing is, I'm in Austin, but it's not available in MY neighborhood (yet). And it sucks because it goes right up to the neighborhood adjacent to me.

And, I think they may do something odd like a large up-front cost to cover infrastructure, then lower monthly costs. But since it's not available to me, I haven't looked into the details.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would just use Google to search for Google Fiber ;)

Honestly, I *think* it is ONLY available in Kansas City, Austin, and soon San Antonio. There may be a few more by now, but it is pretty limited.

The thing is, I'm in Austin, but it's not available in MY neighborhood (yet). And it sucks because it goes right up to the neighborhood adjacent to me.

And, I think they may do something odd like a large up-front cost to cover infrastructure, then lower monthly costs. But since it's not available to me, I haven't looked into the details.
Thanks, I will look into it. Nothing like a good deal I always say.

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Cheers,

Phil
60 is great- I have ATT and pay $39 for UP TO 30 Mbps, so mine is almost double the cost.

Did I mention that ATT's hardware sucks? I connected my Luxul router and so far, it's more consistent. Also, my iPhone hasn't dropped the connection to the network and it was a constant battle trying to use apps in my AV system because the phone would drop the network. If it continues to hold onto the WiFi, I'll know that I found a go-to for my customers.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
60 is great- I have ATT and pay $39 for UP TO 30 Mbps, so mine is almost double the cost.

Did I mention that ATT's hardware sucks? I connected my Luxul router and so far, it's more consistent. Also, my iPhone hasn't dropped the connection to the network and it was a constant battle trying to use apps in my AV system because the phone would drop the network. If it continues to hold onto the WiFi, I'll know that I found a go-to for my customers.
Thanks! I was not too sure where 60 falls into the grand scheme of things nowadays. TWC said I double my speed for only $10 more a month. But, just don't really see the need right now. Once I make the move to 4K that will be a different story. Going to order an ethernet port soon.

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks! I was not too sure where 60 falls into the grand scheme of things nowadays. TWC said I double my speed for only $10 more a month. But, just don't really see the need right now. Once I make the move to 4K that will be a different story. Going to order an ethernet port soon.

Cheers,

Phil
As luck has it, I got my new S&V yesterday and the editor's letter says that you need 25mbps to reliably stream 4K. And, I didn't even think about it but the high speed HDMI cables are rated at 18mbps.---Corrected 18Gbps

So, like highfigh said--60mbps is great! I'm at 200mbps so I must be triple-great.

In general, I say don't sweat it! Don't go trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, don't throw $ at a problem if you haven't identified a problem.

If you start getting lag or stuttering streams, then you have a problem to address.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As luck has it, I got my new S&V yesterday and the editor's letter says that you need 25mbps to reliably stream 4K. And, I didn't even think about it but the high speed HDMI cables are rated at 18Gbps.

So, like highfigh said--60mbps is great! I'm at 200mbps so I must be triple-great.

In general, I say don't sweat it! Don't go trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, don't throw $ at a problem if you haven't identified a problem.

If you start getting lag or stuttering streams, then you have a problem to address.
FTFY. G not M. HDMI is upto 1000 times more bandwidth than your home internet

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks guys for the info. I am about a year away before making the 4K plunge. 3db has mentioned that Vizio is hard to beat. Will be sure to look into them further once I make my move. Have always liked Sony TV's as well. I always look and see what Panasonic is offering too. Hope to get a 55"-65" of some sorts.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis