Complete newbie and confused - need coaching on AVR + stereo receiver + integrated

A

artemasad

Enthusiast
The Audyssey version in the X3300 is superior to your old Onkyo. Had I known you had the Onkyo I would have suggested simply using it, especially for 2ch use.....even if the dac was upgraded doesn't mean you can hear any audible differences, either (its mostly a specs thing these days). Altho that older unit doesn't have the wifi capabilities you want and you'd need a workaround....
Correct. The old unit is broken, and is actually in the process of being sent out for repair (something to do with many Onkyo 2009 - 2012 units being plagued with the same issue). They are being used for our outdated home entertainment system.

Again, I have a feeling this is an overkill in a way, comparing to something like a $400 Yamaha RX-V481 (80W @ 8 ohms @ 0.09% THD). But I suppose having a bit more headroom, supporting 4 ohms, and 1 extra year of warranty is already worth the extra $140.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The Yamaha doesn't have the feature set of the 33/3300 , so the inky debate is whether you get the 4200 instead. At this point pull the trigger and enjoy

Correct. The old unit is broken, and is actually in the process of being sent out for repair (something to do with many Onkyo 2009 - 2012 units being plagued with the same issue). They are being used for our outdated home entertainment system.

Again, I have a feeling this is an overkill in a way, comparing to something like a $400 Yamaha RX-V481 (80W @ 8 ohms @ 0.09% THD). But I suppose having a bit more headroom, supporting 4 ohms, and 1 extra year of warranty is already worth the extra $140.

A

artemasad

Enthusiast
The Yamaha doesn't have the feature set of the 33/3300 , so the inky debate is whether you get the 4200 instead. At this point pull the trigger and enjoy

Just so I become more educated and well-versed with this subject, can you advise what other important feature set would the 33/3300 can do that Yamaha can't when it comes to 2 channel WiFi music listening? Again, I only noticed things like minimum ohms, power, and Audyssey.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just so I become more educated and well-versed with this subject, can you advise what other important feature set would the 33/3300 can do that Yamaha can't when it comes to 2 channel WiFi music listening? Again, I only noticed things like minimum ohms, power, and Audyssey.
Not aware of anything in that regard, the 3300 has a few features that makes it more future proof than the RX-V481.

A

artemasad

Enthusiast
Quick question!

If I were to stream mp3/FLAC/WAV/CD from my PC via WiFi to my receiver, which device actually does the decoding?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Quick question!

If I were to stream mp3/FLAC/WAV/CD from my PC via WiFi to my receiver, which device actually does the decoding?
If the AVR is accessing and play the file stored in your PC then the AVR is doing the decoding.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Quick question!

I believe there are multiple answers depending on settings/gear. My avr generally does the decoding, just direct a stream to it (or even to bluray players I use).

D

Don Grabski

Enthusiast
I work for an Audio/Visual retailer. Whenever I have done a demo Denon versus Yamaha, the Denon ALWAYS wins. I usually use Martin Logan Electrostatics for the demo and switch between the two receivers. About the only time I sell a Yamaha is when a customer comes in asking for a specific model.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I work for an Audio/Visual retailer. Whenever I have done a demo Denon versus Yamaha, the Denon ALWAYS wins. I usually use Martin Logan Electrostatics for the demo and switch between the two receivers. About the only time I sell a Yamaha is when a customer comes in asking for a specific model.
Curious, do you have the Denon setup via Audyssey and using DynamicEQ and compare to the equivalent setup in the Yamaha or direct modes or ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious, do you have the Denon setup via Audyssey and using DynamicEQ and compare to the equivalent setup in the Yamaha or direct modes or ?
I was going to ask similar questions. In pure direct mode, I bet the Denon will still win, about 50% of the time.:D

A

artemasad

Enthusiast
Wait I'm sorry... so each receiver do sound different afterall? So when people say a brand have their own sound personality (warm/bright/etc) they might not be completely wrong?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wait I'm sorry... so each receiver do sound different afterall? So when people say a brand have their own sound personality (warm/bright/etc) they might not be completely wrong?
Think about it, if 50% like one vs the other, i.e. pretty much chance, what has that got to do with any particular sound signature?

A

artemasad

Enthusiast
Think about it, if 50% like one vs the other, i.e. pretty much chance, what has that got to do with any particular sound signature?
Gotcha. My question was more directing towards Don's reply. Just wanted to see what he has to say.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Gotcha. My question was more directing towards Don's reply. Just wanted to see what he has to say.
Ah, was just looking at the post immediately prior. I am also waiting for more info, as I had asked about some specifics on setup (and probably will have more questions), but just going with his anecdotal information, and very little at that, doesn't mean much otoh....

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those brands should sound the same IF both receivers are run with same settings. Like said, they should be run in pure direct mode for equal comparison. Perhaps they like the look of Denon better and choose for this reason? Or just know the brand better.

D

Don Grabski

Enthusiast
We do not use the Audessy or anything else.
Just pure direct sound out of the box. Each on its own merits.
They do NOT sound the same. Denon is much more musical.
I myself have a Denon 6200.

D

Don Grabski

Enthusiast
Say, think what you want. I tell it as I see/hear it.
75 years old, built my first amplifier at age 17, (Bogen), and still going strong!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
artemasad,
Go back to page 2 and re-read my post there.
"We're trying to tell you don't blindly believe what people say. Anybody can say anything... especially on the web."

You don't know any of us on this forum. Any one of us could be a good guy with knowledge and helpful intent, or a jerk who enjoys spreading misinformation and causing trouble. Really. You cannot know. But there are some facts you can look at. They won't necessarily tell the whole story, but they are facts, and may be useful.

In this case, you have a guy who has posted on this forum 14 times. He says you can hear the difference between AVRs.
Then you have guys who have posted ~1600, 8300, 1200 and 1000 times questioning his statement.

Like I said, this alone can't reveal the truth. The guy with 14 posts may actually know more than all the rest of us combined. But examine his post carefully. He's not offering any kind of technical explanation. He's simply relating his observation that customers think Denon sounds better than Yamaha.

The problem is that there are literally thousands of technical reasons that would make them sound different. It can be a daunting task when comparing one AVR to another, to make sure none of these settings or technical elements are in play. You'll notice this is the line of questioning initiated by the old timers here.

Bottom line: Just because some guy on the web says Denon AVRs sound better than Yamaha AVRs, doesn't make it true. My suggestion is to follow the thread. See if Don stays and engages in a discussion about settings and setup of the AVRs. See if he is interested in exploring potential technical reasons for his findings, or just wants to declare them as truth.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
We do not use the Audessy or anything else.
Just pure direct sound out of the box. Each on its own merits.
They do NOT sound the same. Denon is much more musical.
I myself have a Denon 6200.
For a such differences your brains can do a trick or two for you as you expect to hear a difference when something changes and you eventually will as your brains tells so. There is some science about this effect for you to check.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis