Dolby ATMOS to Dolby EX ?

Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
I have my current surround sound processor set-up to auto detect the Dolby EX, and DTS ES data flag when playing DVDs that have this encoding. My SSP is an old legacy Lexicon MC-12 with no decoding for the new high resolution audio that the new Blu-Ray disk’s have. The unit is connected to my Denon Blu-Ray player via a digital coaxial cable. when playing Blu-Ray movies that has the Dolby and DTS high resolution audio formats the audio is down mixed to regular Dolby digital and DTS. The other day I was watching TMNT2 Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos encoding, and my processor interpreted the signal as Dolby EX. Is there a data flag for Atmos encoded disks? And is this this how it will be down mixed?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it should automatically downgrade to the highest format of processing you have. DTX-X plays back as DTS-HD on my pre.

Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
With my Lexicon MC-12 when playing a Blu-Ray source. When the program material is Dolby True HD, the down mix is to Dolby Digital. If the program material is encoded in DTS HD master, the down mix is to DTS. However, if the program material is encoded in Dolby Atmos, the down mix that I get is Dolby Digital EX. I will be trying another Dolby Atmos encoded disk to see if this happens again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would have expected TrueHD to go to EX also. Looks like to get the higher formats with the MC12 you would need a unit with multichannel analog to do the processing externally such as one of the Oppos.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis