SVS PC2000 Cylinder Subwoofer Review

M

matteos

Enthusiast
A cardboard enclosure for an $800 sub? Sheesh... I was digging the sub until I read that.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
A cardboard enclosure for an $800 sub? Sheesh... I was digging the sub until I read that.
Guess your not very familiar with cylinder subs:rolleyes: for your edification your statement means nothing as it is very capable and they make a version of the reference sub the exact same way and have for many years. It's not cardboard its a form for construction

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's a very heavy-duty cardboard. If you have ever used sonotubes, it is that kind of material. It is not much like typical cardboard, you would have a very tough time puncturing it. Consider that it is used to hold literally tons of concrete without deforming.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Geez; I have a cylindrical Subwoofer System as well; from HSU. Mine are two of the HSU TNN-1220's (4 ft tall). Also the matching 500 watt Subwoofer Amplifier from HSU. I( have been extremly happy with this system. It seems as though, people with Cylindrical tall Subs have problems with cats wanting to have sex with these speakers. Well, I know I will never have that problem as I am extremely allergic to cats. I think that there are considerable similarities between the HSU, and SVS models.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
That "cardboard" is more durable than...well...pretty much any other material they make speakers out of! Seriously.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I've enjoyed my pair of PC2000's since their release date and they have preformed flawlessly for me since then.

They even have the power to shatter tempered glass tops of tv stands when driven to reference levels with low frequency content.

caveat exploding glass may only occur if significantly heavy objects are unsecured on shelves above the glass surfaces you would like to see destroyed ;)
Please tell me you got video of that!

DJ

R

RXP

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the great measurements as usual! I was shocked at how good this sub was. I already had a PB13 and wanted another sub for another room - thought the PC2000 would but a big compromise but it just isn't. Fantastic! And very easy to move - even easier if you pop some furniture sliders on the bottom.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the great measurements as usual! I was shocked at how good this sub was. I already had a PB13 and wanted another sub for another room - thought the PC2000 would but a big compromise but it just isn't. Fantastic! And very easy to move - even easier if you pop some furniture sliders on the bottom.
The PC2000 is so light and easy to move that I would think furniture sliders would not help at all. I wish that cylinder subs were a more widely accepted form factor, they are a far more elegant solution from an engineering perspective. But for some reason, the only geometric shape people want in their homes are boxes. It's a shame.

R

RXP

Audioholic Intern
Oh it helps! You literally just push it around.

My wife, who is fine with me doing anything I want with audio/video questioned the PC2000 when I sent her a pic of it outside it's place under my desk (I have a standing desk). Soon as I slid it in - it just disappears and no one knows it's there. When she saw it, she was impressed.

I'm planning on sliding it into the main theater room and placing it directly behind my head. Run it dual with my SVSPB 13 and use XT32 to calibrate. Should be great!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Oh it helps! You literally just push it around.

My wife, who is fine with me doing anything I want with audio/video questioned the PC2000 when I sent her a pic of it outside it's place under my desk (I have a standing desk). Soon as I slid it in - it just disappears and no one knows it's there. When she saw it, she was impressed.

I'm planning on sliding it into the main theater room and placing it directly behind my head. Run it dual with my SVSPB 13 and use XT32 to calibrate. Should be great!
I would only use it with the PB13 as long as the PB13 is set to "standard mode" with all three ports open. You generally don't want to mix ported subs that have very different tuning frequencies, because the sub with the highest tuning frequency might diminish output of frequencies below its tuning from the other sub. The PB13 in standard mode has pretty much the same tuning point as the PC2000.

R

RXP

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the tip Shady - wasn't aware of that. Just assumed Auddssey would understand that one sub can go lower but I guess it'll measure the -3db point to be above the PB13's response

Although - the PB13 is 2m away from my listening position. The PC2000 will be directly behind my head (literally so like 0.2m) away really near field. It should have sufficient output to 16hz. The PC-2000 has a 17hz tuning point. The PB13 a 15hz tuning point

I'm a little confused as to tuning points and actual measurements though. But in real measurements on this site the PB13 has good output to 12.5hz and the PB13 at 16hz.

Anyway i'll give it a try with the space shuttle take off scene from Mars Rover! Should be epic.

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
The PC2000 is so light and easy to move that I would think furniture sliders would not help at all. I wish that cylinder subs were a more widely accepted form factor, they are a far more elegant solution from an engineering perspective. But for some reason, the only geometric shape people want in their homes are boxes. It's a shame.
Totally agree. The cylinder seems to be a very polarizing design for some reason. I feel they are more interesting to look at and more practical. I had very little floor space in my living room and the cylinders opened up several locations that otherwise I could not have placed a big box. I have dual PC12+s (started with a single PC-2000) and will be trading up to PC-4000s. Now there are limits however. SVS has said it's not practical to make a 16 ultra cylinder due to the size needed.

R

RXP

Audioholic Intern
Thought I'd post my results after going dual with an SVS PB13 and the PC2000. It's made a dramatic difference.

I could have gotten a ton of that difference just by placing the SVS PB13 where the PC2000 is - but the cylinder design meant placement works and it's super easy to experiment! Fantastic

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Very nice response from looks like about 17 Hz all the way up to 80. That must sound very nice!

R

RXP

Audioholic Intern
Did some more tweaking. This is mostly due to Auddssey XT32 although weirdly Audssey didn't work great until I changed one of the subs phase to 180 degrees - then it flattened right out.

According to the instructions you're supposed to leave phase at 0 on both subs but the measurements disagree!

I get flat down to 16hz and even a peak of 96db at 10hz.

It does sound great - even better for movies combined with dual Quake 10B's transducers mounted to my chair! Like a theme park ride with Justice League recently.

Attachments

S

Stealth3si

Audiophyte
Is it worth upgrading from PC-12NSD to PC-2000 in a small room?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Is it worth upgrading from PC-12NSD to PC-2000 in a small room?
The PC2000 should provide a noticeable improvement but not a massive one. I would save up for a PC-12 Plus or PC4000 for a truly substantial upgrade, if you wanted to stick with SVS's cylinder subs.

S

Stealth3si

Audiophyte
The PC2000 should provide a noticeable improvement but not a massive one. I would save up for a PC-12 Plus or PC4000 for a truly substantial upgrade, if you wanted to stick with SVS's cylinder subs.
I feel like the PC-12 Plus are suitable for large rooms and the PC4000 are designed for large open space areas.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I feel like the PC-12 Plus are suitable for large rooms and the PC4000 are designed for large open space areas.
That depends entirely on how much SPL you are after. For my own tastes, I would want at least two PC-12 Pluses even in a small room. For some people, a single PC-12 NSD would be more than enough even in a large room.

S

Stealth3si

Audiophyte
That depends entirely on how much SPL you are after. For my own tastes, I would want at least two PC-12 Pluses even in a small room. For some people, a single PC-12 NSD would be more than enough even in a large room.
How many cu ft is a small room to you?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis