D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Hello to all, I have a budget of $1100 for a 50-60 in TV and it took some doing to obtain that $1100 budget, married 32yrs and to those that are married need I say anymore, have 0% interest in a smart TV, with that being said of course quality is King, ordering it last day of the month, I trust the family here before I dare take the word of some sales persono_O...Thanks to All:)

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Thanks, extremely valuable information, addressed several questions I had and with that in mind, I can now be comfortable making a buying decision not only that I've been educated...THANKS ONCE AGAIN!

Last edited:
J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
1) No one ever said - my tv is too big
2) 1080p vs 4k (uhd) - later not necessarily better, especially on small tv as 50-60

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

and finally
3) I'd check Vizio offering seriously... - and DO NOT BUY LG !!!!!!!!!
I hate to disagree with you, but you are mistaken. I'd like to know your beef with LG. You did not give a reason. LG is the only TV maker in America with the 4K OLED TV. It is without question, the best picture today. It beats 4K UHD and SUHD (from Samsung. The reasons are: 1. The best Contrast ratio on the planet: Infinite! 2. the Black levels are off the chart. That's because OLED needs NO backlighting or edge lighting. Backlighting is a crutch to improve the picture. Every single pixel is self illuminating. Each can go from the darkest black levels to the brightest scene out there. Each pixel can totally black out for the ultimate in contrast ratio. The OLED has the finest off axis viewing of any other set. No other compares. Don't believe me? Go look at the OLED picture. The disadvantage with OLED: The price. It is a high price, but if you want the best picture out there; this is it. If you are too cheap to buy it, you will have to settle for less.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Dear Jeffrey,
I briefly read your response and quickly marked it as dumb. why?
Because I said two very simple facts a) LG manufacturing quality suck b) 4K is not always better than fhd.
I said absolutely nothing about display technology itself. I have plasma and I still prefer it over LED/LCD, but OLED can clearly delivery better image. That has nothing to do with what I said above.
Now, I am fully aware that only LG has OLED screens, but given another three facts I won't rush for OLED today
a) It's too expensive. ( cheapest one I could find and old 2015 model)
b) Oled longevity is still questionable. This is from LG Rep:
"The MFG warranty is 1 year parts and 1 year labor. The life expectancy of LG OLED is 30K hours to 50K hours to half brightness. Only coming from the use/on time of the panel; not from being off. That is 7 days a week, 6 hrs a day to reach 14.5 years to 20 years to half brightness. If a customer watches the TV in Vivid mode they will be closer to the 14.5 year number. If the customer has the OLED calibrated (or run in Cinema mode) they will be at the 20 year to half brightness level. Calibration is not only good for panel life but picture quality also; 2016 models will have substantially increased hours that can not be released until product ships, but I expect them to be brighter."
Maybe 2016 models would do better, but they are noticeably more expensive

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
If your main objection to OLED is price, then you will have to settle for a lesser picture, lesser contrast ratio, etc. I still have a few Plasma's left in our house. No rush to change them right now. Also, there is nothing bad said about OLED reliability because it is too new to show that. I disagree with your (il)logic. Whether you realize it or not, Plasma's life expectancy is 60,000 hours; so then why your complaint? Even you admitted that the OLED picture is superior for the reasons I stated above. Do you want the cheapest TV or the best TV? I'm curious to know what vehicle you drive? Note: Panasonic is going to release OLED TV's. They realized how much better OLED can be. You will see that OLED's superiority will bring other higher end companies will abandon 4K UHD, and move over to OLED. The tide is turning. Mark my words.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If your main objection to OLED is price, then you will have to settle for a lesser picture, lesser contrast ratio, etc. I still have a few Plasma's left in our house. No rush to change them right now. Also, there is nothing bad said about OLED reliability because it is too new to show that. I disagree with your (il)logic. Whether you realize it or not, Plasma's life expectancy is 60,000 hours; so then why your complaint? Even you admitted that the OLED picture is superior for the reasons I stated above. Do you want the cheapest TV or the best TV? I'm curious to know what vehicle you drive? Note: Panasonic is going to release OLED TV's. They realized how much better OLED can be. You will see that OLED's superiority will bring other higher end companies will abandon 4K UHD, and move over to OLED. The tide is turning. Mark my words.
While you have a POSSIBLE point over fact that is OLED better technology, it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread due to very limited OP budget - 1.1k - no way in hell one could buy new oled tv in current market prices.
I still stand by my previous point of you have to take into consideration budget, tv size, viewing distance.
UHD may or may not be needed and as I had mentioned (unfortunately) OLED doesn't even belong in this conversation until 65" flat panel with 100k hours durability going to cost under 1k retail.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
1) No one ever said - my tv is too big
2) 1080p vs 4k (uhd) - later not necessarily better, especially on small tv as 50-60
http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

and finally
3) I'd check Vizio offering seriously... - and DO NOT BUY LG !!!!!!!!!
It's OK to disagree. I feel the opposite. Although Vizio has improved over the years, but they were terrible at first. There was only room for improvement. Their reliability was also terrible back in the day. Vizio's are usually sold at Walmart, Sam's Club etc. IMHO, in the early days I hated LG. In the beginning, their name was Goldstar. Back in the '80's, it was the worst. They made TV's, VCR's, microwave ovens. They were just terrible. They were so terrible, they changed their name to LG (Lucky Goldstar; we called it Lousy Goldstar). The truth is, their products got better & better. IMHO, their 4K OLED is just the best TV out there (but expen$ive). Now, we will see Panasonic entering the OLED generation. That's great. OLED really needs more competition to bring down the price. Competition is great.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
While you have a POSSIBLE point over fact that is OLED better technology, it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread due to very limited OP budget - 1.1k - no way in hell one could buy new oled tv in current market prices.
I still stand by my previous point of you have to take into consideration budget, tv size, viewing distance.
UHD may or may not be needed and as I had mentioned (unfortunately) OLED doesn't even belong in this conversation until 65" flat panel with 100k hours durability going to cost under 1k retail.
Don't hold your breath waiting.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Dear Jeffrey,
Because I said two very simple facts a) LG manufacturing quality suck b) 4K is not always better than fhd.
I said absolutely nothing about display technology itself. I have plasma and I still prefer it over LED/LCD, but OLED can clearly delivery better image. That has nothing to do with what I said above.
Now, I am fully aware that only LG has OLED screens, but given another three facts I won't rush for OLED today

I disagree that LG sucks now. Here is my list of sucky brands: Bose, Mitsubishi (forced out of business), Westinghouse, and many more that I just can't think of right now. One day you will wake & up & agree that OLED is where it is at. By then, the prices will have gone down. By then, the only place you will find 4K UHD, will be at Flea Markets & Yard Sales, etc. Just saying.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I disagree that LG sucks now. Here is my list of sucky brands: Bose, Mitsubishi (forced out of business), Westinghouse, and many more that I just can't think of right now. One day you will wake & up & agree that OLED is where it is at. By then, the prices will have gone down. By then, the only place you will find 4K UHD, will be at Flea Markets & Yard Sales, etc. Just saying.
Ok marry LG and OLED or get a room. The OP clearly isn't in the market for the latter tech. Yes everyone would love the best display, the best car, the best grill, the best computer etc. but in reality world it doesn't work that way. If it were me I wouldnt buy any LG smart TV as they have a documented history of spying on their customers even after opting out of their participation clause. Hopefully the OP got a display that is enjoyable.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The point is the OP's budget is NOT going to allow for him to get a 4K OLED tv anyways. I appreciate the chart that BSA posted. In fact, he posted it for me a good while back when I was venturing down the road of jumping on the 4K bandwagon so to speak. However, my plan is to wait until at least this time next year before making any real 4K tv purchase. Hopefully, by then things are a bit more settled down.

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Like you said, It's OK to disagree. It's your own right to step on garden rakes (LG) as many times as you like. I stepped one time too many in pursuit of "good value".

And Jeff, You do realize that UHD (panel resolution) has nothing with screen technology (LCD, LED-LCD aka LED, Plasma or OLED). In fact most if not all OLED TV Panels are UHD....
Get your facts straight first, before you get into the argument.

Last edited:
J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Ok marry LG and OLED or get a room. The OP clearly isn't in the market for the latter tech. Yes everyone would love the best display, the best car, the best grill, the best computer etc. but in reality world it doesn't work that way. If it were me I wouldnt buy any LG smart TV as they have a documented history of spying on their customers even after opting out of their participation clause. Hopefully the OP got a display that is enjoyable.
The real story on LOG, is that back in the 80's they were known as Goldstar. Back then, their products were truly bad. They only made TV's, VCR's, microwave ovens. The stuff was so bad, that they changed their name to LG (Lucky Goldstar). And along the way they seemed to have a rebirth, and their products under the name of LG did get better & better over time. (things can change).Still, some people hold a grudge, but most people did not know any of this. IMHO, I think there are worse products out there. The fact that they are on the cutting edge with OLED. They actually own the patent on OLED, although they have licensed the OLED to some other manufacturers including Panasonic. Like it or not, OLED is the finest display out there right now. When the price goes down (due to 6 other companies entering the OLED market soon, the prices will come down. Then UHD TV's will begin to fade and the prices on those will go down further.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Dear Jeffrey,

BSA: Your response is only partially correct. First, OLED TV's never need calibration. It has Calibrations built in. Also, I disagree that their quality "Sucks". Read my prior posts on OLED. In the past history, LG was pretty bad when they were still known as Goldstar. They can improve, and since they are known as LG, they do not "Suck" now. That's an old predjudiced statement to make. You are also wrong saying that OLED is UHD. Not true at all. All the other brands are 4K UHD. Try not to step on any other rakes. I still have a few Plasmas, but lets face it; no one manufactures Plasma TV's any longer.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Again, I won't buy their products as they have spied on their customers without consent. That is the reason I will not purchase one. When the price drops on the tech I'll consider panny as the manufacturer, their CS track record is good and their warranty claims as a whole display division are under .5%.

The real story on LOG, is that back in the 80's they were known as Goldstar. Back then, their products were truly bad. They only made TV's, VCR's, microwave ovens. The stuff was so bad, that they changed their name to LG (Lucky Goldstar). And along the way they seemed to have a rebirth, and their products under the name of LG did get better & better over time. (things can change).Still, some people hold a grudge, but most people did not know any of this. IMHO, I think there are worse products out there. The fact that they are on the cutting edge with OLED. They actually own the patent on OLED, although they have licensed the OLED to some other manufacturers including Panasonic. Like it or not, OLED is the finest display out there right now. When the price goes down (due to 6 other companies entering the OLED market soon, the prices will come down. Then UHD TV's will begin to fade and the prices on those will go down further.

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Would blu-ray movies in black & white (1960-Psycho for example) be any better on a UHD TV? :confused:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Ugh.

OLED = organic light emitting diode = display technology.

4K UHD = 3840x2160 (or 4096x2160 for DCI) = resolution.

You can also calibrate the tvs. Here is a calibration report from a CNET review for an LG 65EF9500, an OLED display that also happens to be a 4K UHDTV: https://www.scribd.com/document/285018757/LG-65EF9500-CNET-review-calibration-report
This was already explained to this guy in another thread, he chooses to ignore the FACTS.

Either he doesn't understand or he's a troll. Likely a little of each :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis