Need help with hdmi splitting signal with directv.

S

shthomas

Audiophyte
I have directv and are attempting to route signal out of receiver with hdmi cables. I have a receiver in one room and want to feed tv in two rooms but not at the same. I installed hdmi splitter but lose signal when I plug both cables into splitter. I got video in other room with no sound. Both work fine by themselves when hooked up alone. Is there a hdmi splitter or switch that can send signal to just one tv at a time and not to both tvs at the same time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have directv and are attempting to route signal out of receiver with hdmi cables. I have a receiver in one room and want to feed tv in two rooms but not at the same. I installed hdmi splitter but lose signal when I plug both cables into splitter. I got video in other room with no sound. Both work fine by themselves when hooked up alone. Is there a hdmi splitter or switch that can send signal to just one tv at a time and not to both tvs at the same time.
Yes, you need a switcher like this.

How far are you sending the signal? HDMI does not do well with long runs. If a run is over 25ft you may have trouble.

I would think your best solution is the Direct TV Genie system. You have one DVR in one room and a small control unit in the other. That way you can control it is each room and the rooms can watch different programs.

I really like the Direct TV Genie system, it works great. As a bonus the system is much faster than the older systems and picture quality is better. I always thought their receivers were pretty much junk previously, like Comcast boxes. The Genie system handles like a quality system and uses much less energy.

highfigh

highfigh

If it's a passive, inexpensive HDMI splitter, it often will have these problems.

Many companies sell HDMI switches- many have the ability to resolve EDID problems and use CEC. I'm not a big fan of CEC because it doesn't always work with different brands of equipment but a one in/two out switch should be relatively inexpensive.

FYI- when two TVs are connected at the same time, the one with lower resolution will cause the whole system to be "dumbed down". EDID is the reason and this is a large part of the cause of HDMI problems- it's kind of like a secret handshake between the equipment and if it's not correct, it doesn't work.

S

shthomas

Audiophyte
The hdmi switches 1 in 2 out that I found supply signal to both outs at the same time. I haven't been able to find one that turns off 1 out when it feeds the other. Any ideas?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Look for one that has a switch for each output.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You don't need one which turns off both/either output. One of the issues you may run into related to audio is that if your local zone supports surround sound, and the other does not, then there may be a conflict and the DirecTV may simply push surround sound out to the A/V receiver. This may not be something which you can actually overcome without using a EDID minder.

Depending on the model of receiver you have, if you have Component Video outputs, you may be able to use them, or digital audio or analog audio connections to get audio to the second TV.

This is the absolute top tier BS headache of HDMI that it does not support surround sound and stereo audio at the same time. 45 channels of available audio, and they skimp on the two channels that people actually need.

Anyway, you may be out of luck, but that SWITCH linked to above is the wrong product. It's not a splitter, but a switch.

Whatever splitter you get, you want it to be powered, not just a pigtail connection.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-Model/dp/B004F9LVXC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477704710&sr=8-5&keywords=hdmi+splitter+1x2

But, even then, if the TVs support different resolutions, and different audio formats, there is no guarantee of proper compatibility all the time because of the configuration differences between your components.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You don't need one which turns off both/either output. One of the issues you may run into related to audio is that if your local zone supports surround sound, and the other does not, then there may be a conflict and the DirecTV may simply push surround sound out to the A/V receiver. This may not be something which you can actually overcome without using a EDID minder.

Depending on the model of receiver you have, if you have Component Video outputs, you may be able to use them, or digital audio or analog audio connections to get audio to the second TV.

This is the absolute top tier BS headache of HDMI that it does not support surround sound and stereo audio at the same time. 45 channels of available audio, and they skimp on the two channels that people actually need.

Anyway, you may be out of luck, but that SWITCH linked to above is the wrong product. It's not a splitter, but a switch.

Whatever splitter you get, you want it to be powered, not just a pigtail connection.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-Model/dp/B004F9LVXC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477704710&sr=8-5&keywords=hdmi+splitter+1x2

But, even then, if the TVs support different resolutions, and different audio formats, there is no guarantee of proper compatibility all the time because of the configuration differences between your components.
Yes, my mistake. It was late at night and the one I linked switches inputs and not outputs. I have never seen a switcher that switches outputs.

I agree HDMI is a pain in situations like this.

As I said though his solution is the Direct TV Genie. That is what he should get if he wants it trouble free and handy.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, my mistake. It was late at night and the one I linked switches inputs and not outputs. I have never seen a switcher that switches outputs.

I agree HDMI is a pain in situations like this.

As I said though his solution is the Direct TV Genie. That is what he should get if he wants it trouble free and handy.
What you referred to in your first paragraph is called a 'matrix'.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What you referred to in your first paragraph is called a 'matrix'.
No, it's just a switcher.

A matrix switcher has multiple inputs and multiple outputs. The outputs must allow for the source to be individually selected. So, a 4x2 matrix could be hooked to the family room and the theater. The sources could be cable, blu-ray, Roku, and a HTPC. The family room can be fed any of those four sources, while at the same time, the theater is fed any of those four sources.

But, I'm guessing you already were aware of that. I just wanted to clarify the difference between what was linked (a standard HDMI switch), vs. a matrix switch.

highfigh

highfigh

No, it's just a switcher.

A matrix switcher has multiple inputs and multiple outputs. The outputs must allow for the source to be individually selected. So, a 4x2 matrix could be hooked to the family room and the theater. The sources could be cable, blu-ray, Roku, and a HTPC. The family room can be fed any of those four sources, while at the same time, the theater is fed any of those four sources.

But, I'm guessing you already were aware of that. I just wanted to clarify the difference between what was linked (a standard HDMI switch), vs. a matrix switch.
Vanco has one that's less than $100- it's called an HDMI splitter and the part number is EVSLIM2

http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/HDMI_253/Evolution-HDMI-1x2-Ultra-Slim-UHD-Splitter_1517

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Vanco has one that's less than $100- it's called an HDMI splitter and the part number is EVSLIM2

http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/HDMI_253/Evolution-HDMI-1x2-Ultra-Slim-UHD-Splitter_1517
That's similar to what I linked on Amazon for about $20 above. The plus is that it claims support for 4K sources. The negative is that it doesn't support HDCP 2.0, which means that it doesn't really support 4K consumer sources which will almost all use HDCP 2.0.

Switching digital signals is pretty easy these days, splitting them still isn't nearly as cut and dry as some would lead you to believe.

highfigh

highfigh

That's similar to what I linked on Amazon for about $20 above. The plus is that it claims support for 4K sources. The negative is that it doesn't support HDCP 2.0, which means that it doesn't really support 4K consumer sources which will almost all use HDCP 2.0.

Switching digital signals is pretty easy these days, splitting them still isn't nearly as cut and dry as some would lead you to believe.
Is this better?
http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/Splitters_223/Evolution-Premium-4K-HDMI-1x2-Spillter_1559

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If someone needs to split UHD to two locations, then that's the one to use for sure.

A big issue will always be that HDMI will choose lowest common denominator resolutions for both video and audio, if the device is smart enough to account for it. It can be a real headache overall. There are really good switchers which can deal with many of these issues, but they are wicked expensive to get new. I will likely get a 4K display at some point, but it will only have a few sources for it, and they are likely to be dedicated.

highfigh

highfigh

If someone needs to split UHD to two locations, then that's the one to use for sure.

A big issue will always be that HDMI will choose lowest common denominator resolutions for both video and audio, if the device is smart enough to account for it. It can be a real headache overall. There are really good switchers which can deal with many of these issues, but they are wicked expensive to get new. I will likely get a 4K display at some point, but it will only have a few sources for it, and they are likely to be dedicated.
The cost of a device that can spoof the source into thinking the TVs are all higher rez is definitely a problem and it's just another pin I use to poke my HDMI voodoo doll.

It just won't die.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis