Can Harman Kardon's new $1000 AVR 3700 hold its own?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Re: the 17.6 pounds, looks like this is a Class D design, which seems to be corroborated by HK's website:
Eco-friendly design
Lighter. Greener. Louder. The AVR 3700 uses a custom designed digital power supply that delivers the amplifier power and superior sound you expect from Harman Kardon without the need for hefty transformers. The result is the same power as conventional designs with a lower overall carbon footprint impact.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Re: the 17.6 pounds, looks like this is a Class D design, which seems to be corroborated by HK's website:
Amplifier is a Class A//B, power supply is a SMPS (switch-mode) as to have global AC line voltage compatibility..

Just my $0.02... ;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Amplifier is a Class A//B, power supply is a SMPS (switch-mode) as to have global AC line voltage compatibility..

Just my $0.02... ;)
is the 3700 autovolt? or does one have to open the unit to make changes in voltage?

what do you know about the 1650? :)

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
DLNA, Airplay and 4k upconversion.. plus 8 HDMI inputs. Is that enough to get you to look at the new $1000 AVR 3700?

Read more about the Harman Kardon AVR 3700 7.2-Channel Wireless Networked Receiver
The features are great, but it's really all about performance and specifically audio. For this price point, a user isn't going to get a 4k display for 5 years in their price range. So the video processing is less interesting than the audio performance. The 1700 model did not get a good review from HomeTheater.com. Hopefully this one in the mid-tier is true to the harman reputation. With other brands like Revel, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, and JBL Synthesis, Harman has a great opportunity to bring great sound down to the average user.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
is the 3700 autovolt? or does one have to open the unit to make changes in voltage?

what do you know about the 1650? :)
For the 3700/2700 to work into 220/230V, requires an AC cord change and some fuse changes. The 1650 is a 5.1 update of the 1600...

Just my $0.02.. ;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
For the 3700/2700 to work into 220/230V, requires an AC cord change and some fuse changes. The 1650 is a 5.1 update of the 1600...

Just my $0.02.. ;)
i have a 1650 incoming, i was wondering if i could do some "fuse changing" on this as well to get it to work on 220v (i'm afraid one of these days i'll blow the 1650 by mistake)

i don't suppose you have access to the 1650's specs (on what fuse to change to what fuse)

A

allargon

Audioholic General
The features are great, but it's really all about performance and specifically audio. For this price point, a user isn't going to get a 4k display for 5 years in their price range. So the video processing is less interesting than the audio performance. The 1700 model did not get a good review from HomeTheater.com. Hopefully this one in the mid-tier is true to the harman reputation. With other brands like Revel, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, and JBL Synthesis, Harman has a great opportunity to bring great sound down to the average user.
The only Harman brands where I see anything recent are the speaker brands of JBL and Revel. Even Infinity is just a repeat of the Primus line and the same in-walls.

Mark Levinson and Lexicon are woefully stagnant on the pre-pro front. Is it too much to ask for a 6 HDMI pre-pro w/ 3D pass through and high resolution audio decoding from several thousand dollar plus electronics?

HK receivers are usually a year or two behind bleeding edge Onkyo (and to a lesser degree Denon, Marantz and Yamaha) on the feature front with a bump up in sound quality (and price). The only thing I see these days is the bump up in price (and aesthetics). This current pricing puts it against the forth coming Onkyo 828 (and outgoing 818). It's also similar in price to the Denon AVR 3313CI (with Audyssey MultiEQ XT).

My major issue with this HK receiver is that it lacks pre-outs. All the other mainstream vendors (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha) offer pre-outs at this price point. Hopefully, HK will get it together for next year's receivers.

S

Sibin

Audiophyte

Just my $0.02.. ;)

@M Code : Am trying to ship avr 2700 where it will be 220v, and also when i looked inside i could see the replaceable fuse and also they have written the ratings of fuse at 220v, also i could see the primary side bulk capacitor is of 400v each, so holding my heart, i hope everything will be fine at 220 v :) its very difficult to get this beautiful machine in India, thats why trying to ship. Have you tried this at your end or assuming because its an SMPS ? Writing on the board with fuse rating gives some clues but still confused. Also since there is another 240 v model for the same machine avr270 and 370, both may have the same smps with fuse and cord difference. I agree with you but has ANY ONE tried to plug in avr 2700/3700 at 220-240 v 50hz ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis