Seeking advice on speakers for inside my shower.

S

Shad

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum for my question. I inherited a distributed home audio system in a house I moved into about a year ago. A couple weeks ago I lost sound in the shower and after a good deal of testing I've determined that the speakers blew.

We're planning a major rehab for the bathroom in about a year so I don't want to go and spend big bucks on audiophile grade speakers and have to move them or risk damage during construction, but I don't want to live without tunes for my morning shower for a year.

Yes, I know, first world, platinum level problem.

I want something that I can just remove the old bad speakers and pop in some inexpensive new ones with minimal drama. I'm trying to find a rectangular in ceiling speaker that will fit my existing holes (I don't want to have to cut tile) but it seems I can only find round. I'm thinking about using an inexpensive in wall type which I can find in the right size, it's just that they're not made for damp environments .

Anybody have experience using a standard speaker in a damp environment, knowing it will fail sooner than later? Any suggestions on construction materials that will help the speaker last long enough that I can get by and only have to do this once ? Is this just a very bad idea altogether and I should just buck up and do it right?

Thanks !

S

Shad

Audiophyte
@Shad Have you checked out Home Theater Direct? Those are rectangular, polypropylene, and cheap.
I looked at these and they were what I was thinking about getting. I've seen several that are similar too . Monoprice has some too.

I was just wondering if doing something like these is just a really bad idea or if it stands a good chance at getting by for a year until I am ready to bring in the heavy artillery?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis