looking for a new/refurbished tv

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Christmas is looming on the horizon and I've decided to buy my son new 2160p TV. budget is around 300 usd with a lititle wiggle room. refurbished isn't out of the question if it's a manufacturer refurbished with a warranty.

looking for a minimum of 43". i found a vizio on ebay for 350. I found a 48" refurbed vizio on groupon, but I dont know anything about them (groupon). I'd like to get a 48" if it's in my budget, but honestly I don't know much about tv's or brands. I have a vizio in my living room and have read decent things about them, but I'm not married to them. I've been here for a while and have seen you guys in action. I trust the advice here.

he has a denon avr s510bt
xbox 1s
satellite box
a decent 2.1 speaker system, but he'll probably end up getting a couple surrounds down the road.

it's in his bedroom, but he'll be taking it with him when he moves out. sigh. so I know 48" is a bit large for his room, but he'll be upgrading that before too long.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Do you have a local repair shop, sometimes they sell refurbished gear.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Hey Pogre, not shore when you want to pull the trigger but Black Friday is approaching...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
okay then. black Friday it is. I did look up a few repair shops, but didn't find anything. I guess I'll do what I usually do with stereo stuff. I guess I was just looking for a little brand guidance or an accessories for less for tv's or something.

truthfully I wasn't even thinking about black Friday coming up. I shouldn't have too much trouble finding something decent. thanks for the replies.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a fan of the reliability, features and quality image of Samsung and Sony. All I know about Vizio is that they are cheap to buy.

Mine is a Samsung because a "last year's model" suited me fine and the Sony equivalent was far more money. Though I didn't buy for the "SmartTV" functions and didn't use them at first, I've really come to appreciate that feature.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Check Walmart.com! They have really good deals (but not if you walk in their store). They have refurbbed Vizio, and I'm very happy with a Sceptre I bought 4 years ago.
Opt to pick up in store to avoid shipping cost (and concerns about having to do a shipping claim). 3-5 days IIRC. Also nice to have assurance of Walmart in store return policy for your internet purchase!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is 1080p, but Walmart sells this 48" refurb Vizio for $260:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-VIZIO-D48-D0-48-1080p-120Hz-Full-Array-LED-Smart-HDTV/52024974

I don't know if JVC is still a respected brand of TV (comments please!), but this fits your original objective very well:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/JVC-LT-48UE76-48-4K-Ultra-HD-2160p-60Hz-LED-LCD-HDTV/51222761

Here is a list of HDTV's sorted by price in the 40" to 49" size range:
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=hdtv&sort=price_low&cat_id=3944_1060825_447913&min_price=200&max_price=425&facet=tv_screen_size_range_new:40" - 49"

And a refurbished Samsung 48" Smart TV for $298:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FAST-TRACK-Refurbished-Samsung-UN48J5200AFXZA-48-1080p-60Hz-LED-Smart-HDTV/54772319

PS: Edited to remove bad information!!!:(

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know if JVC is still a respected brand of TV (comments please)
None of info below is verified, but according to forums:

Since 2011 all JVC TV's sold in North America are manufactured by Orion Electric Co. for AmTRAN Video Corporation who licensed the JVC name. It's Orion that actually designs, produces and services all JVC TV's. They are sold almost exclusively through Walmart and Sam's Club. Orion also manufactures TV's under license from Hitachi. Both the JVC and Hitachi brands are ghosts of their former selves and nothing more than a name to be sold off for the highest license fee.
AmTRAN Video Corporation is also OEM for Vizio.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9051875-48-jvc-lt-48ue76-4k-ultra-hd-led-hdtv-299-99-free-shipping-walmart

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
some great suggestions. thanks guys. the jvc looks right up my alley and I could order it today. I'm a little confused about reliability and quality though. the quote above isn't exactly flattering.

my son just got an Xbox 1s, which does do true 2160p, so that's definitely what I'm going for. I know I can find some great deals on a 1080p, but he'll definitely want the higher resolution. I'm gonna keep a sharp eye out for black Friday too. it's a Christmas present so I don't need it right away. I have a little time to look around.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
okay then. black Friday it is. I did look up a few repair shops, but didn't find anything. I guess I'll do what I usually do with stereo stuff. I guess I was just looking for a little brand guidance or an accessories for less for tv's or something.

truthfully I wasn't even thinking about black Friday coming up. I shouldn't have too much trouble finding something decent. thanks for the replies.
Also take a peek at PC Tech Deals, they have some nice deals there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis