T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
I recently acquired a pair of Crown Com-Tech 410 amplifiers and am trying to decide just how to use them. They are rated for 210wpc @ 8 ohms, or 425w bridged mono. My speakers are B&W 604s3 speakers rated for 200w @8 ohms. I have been reading this article by Crown which says that it's good to have between 2 and 4 times your speakers rated power so that your amp doesn't run out of juice during large transients in the music.

My question to you guys is, should I run a single 410 in stereo mode or should I bridge each of them and run them mono one to each speaker?

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
Seriously, over a month and no one has any advice or insight on this?

jinjuku

jinjuku

What is your seating distance? My thoughts are Crown is 100% correct on this and they are talking about crest factor. Your speakers could most likely handle momentary inputs of 600 watts.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Running single amp should be just fine as the speaker rating is maximum power they can handle, not the required power. Depending on your space and desired listening volume you most likely only use few watts in normal listening.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The problem is that the article by Crown refers to:
Next, look for the loudspeaker specification called Continuous Power Handling or Continuous Power Rating. It might be called IEC rating or Power capacity.
while the B&W spec sheet for your speakers just says "Power Handling".
"Power Handling" and "Continuous Power Handling" are likely not the same number. Perhaps you can contact B&W and ask them for the specific power handling specification as called out by Crown.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis