Thoughts on SVS Prime?

L

lowkweesia

Audiophyte
I have 2 subwoofers but under different brand, although my Yamaha amp got 2 subs out but to avoid different phase and bass cancellation, I connected one SVS PB2000 to sub out and Polk Audio sub to the center speaker. The sub just located next to the front speaker and the bass is Omni directional, so the placement is not so important. I adjust the frequency to max on the sub and carefully adjust the subwoofer volume to get the most natural effect(not over bass) that I want. When you watching movies, the voices are thick and with action movies the effect is superb like the bass punchy directly on to your face.

I learned this from my friend who is the technician get involve in setup many commercial cinemas in my country. According to him, for commercial cinema, each of the speakers is attached with individual subwoofer to get the best cinematic experience. In our home, if we have the extra subwoofer we can do the same. Usually start with center speaker and next is surround speaker. Center speaker attached with individual subwoofer will create the feel of thick speaking voices and action movies with more punchy bass and if attached with surround speaker, this will help to enlarge your soundstage.

You try it sure you will love it!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have 2 subwoofers but under different brand, although my Yamaha amp got 2 subs out but to avoid different phase and bass cancellation, I connected one SVS PB2000 to sub out and Polk Audio sub to the center speaker. The sub just located next to the front speaker and the bass is Omni directional, so the placement is not so important. I adjust the frequency to max on the sub and carefully adjust the subwoofer volume to get the most natural effect(not over bass) that I want. When you watching movies, the voices are thick and with action movies the effect is superb like the bass punchy directly on to your face.

I learned this from my friend who is the technician get involve in setup many commercial cinemas in my country. According to him, for commercial cinema, each of the speakers is attached with individual subwoofer to get the best cinematic experience. In our home, if we have the extra subwoofer we can do the same. Usually start with center speaker and next is surround speaker. Center speaker attached with individual subwoofer will create the feel of thick speaking voices and action movies with more punchy bass and if attached with surround speaker, this will help to enlarge your soundstage.

You try it sure you will love it!
Well I can see some benefits doing it this route, but to make it perfect with 5.2 setup I would need 7 subwoofers and A LOT of space to do so. I personally feel I'm much better with my 5.2 setup as it is now. As if I went that route I would have uneven bass response in my listening positions and bass would be localized as well.

L

lowkweesia

Audiophyte
Haha, actually no need, you can start with center speaker first also good enough it can make a big difference. Anywhere it depend on individual preference but I like the feel, it won't cause any uneven bass.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Haha, actually no need, you can start with center speaker first also good enough it can make a big difference. Anywhere it depend on individual preference but I like the feel, it won't cause any uneven bass.
In my space it would cause uneven bass, this is the reason I have two subs, to even the bass response in my space. In most of the rooms you will end up with uneven bass with only 1 sub as you will get room reflections and nulls unless you can set your sub on perfect spot in the room, and this is not possible for most of us.

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
Well I'm back to post an update we had a recent lightning hit took out my Denon AVR 2112 CI system bought another Denon what were the AVR X 3300 and oh man what a difference the system is way better than my other very similar features and controls but my God the sound is way different and my SVS Primes are singing wonderfully. My other system seems like it's struggled a little bit and had a little raspy Edge at time this one is really really smooth.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'm just beginning the journey to a new set of towers.
A budget of 2-4k should allow 2 towers a center and an upgrade to a paradigm subwoofer(now 10 yrs old).
I have 2 ceiling speakers I'm considering using as ATMOS speakers.

I have pretty much decided on a 2015 Yamaha 1050 AVR.(not included in the 2-4K).
I will also be adding a 2015 Samsung 4k Ultra 65" set.
My current setup is 7.1. I would go to 5.1.2 with the Atmos.
I currently have Pinnacle Bookshelves(front 3), and 4 in ceiling Yamaha's that I use for surround and Back Channels.

How would the SVS's do,as replacements for the LRC and sub, or are there other suggestions?

THANKS
DJWPAR3
I had some of the Primes, however I exchanged (except for the surrounds) for the Ultras. The Primes were nice, but Ultras are awesome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis