ATMOS SPEAKER PLACEMENT ADVICE

N

navysandsquid

Audiophyte
Hey everyone so I just bought a house and ive been trying to design my ATMOS set up and I know it wont be perfect but my living room isn't the greatest shape. I'm going to do a 5.1.4 set up and I ordered my speakers. They are niles HD series LCR Front stage 7" DIRECT ceiling and 7" FX ceiling Rear. I am also Using a Marantz SR6011 receiver. I was hoping before I punch holds in my ceiling I could get some advice. I'm just curious for the ATMOS speakers and the rear surround with my setup where I should put the speakers thanks for your time. PS please don't suggest different speakers they are already on order thanks again. I have attached the layout to my living room not quite to scale general idea

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You will want to read this for what you are trying to do. It looks to me like you purchased ceiling speakers for the front stage speakers, and that pretty much renders Atmos moot by the way. It won't sound right. Return the speakers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Hi, I want to bake a cake and already bought the ingredients. Some of them aren't right according to the recipe, but I'm going to bake the cake anyhow. Now it won't fit into my countertop toaster oven so I'm going to do this on my stovetop. How do I do this?

That's an analogy. You can go and use what you bought and may be happy that it sounds good to you because the speakers will indeed emit sound. It won't be exactly what the engineers at Dolby Labs and the sound engineers for the movie soundtrack had in mind, but might still make you happy.

Your layout means all 4 ceiling speakers are going to be in front of the viewer/listeners. A proper Atmos 5.1.4 would have two just forward, two just behind. Your surrounds should be also a little behind the listening position, so I don't see how surround sound will happen.

Is there any way to rearrange the furniture and get seats away from the wall enough to get speakers behind the listening position? The recliner might have the closest thing to good location in relation to the speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis