Martin Logan dynamo1500x Sub XLR input

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
I just purchased a Martin Logan dynamo 1500X Sub Woofer with a balanced XLR input. Can I use the OPPO 105D's balanced XLR right and left audio output to connect it? Will I also be able to maintain my 7.1 analog listening configuration when connected in this manner?

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just purchased a Martin Logan dynamo 1500X Sub Woofer with a balanced XLR input. Can I use the OPPO 105D's balanced XLR right and left audio output to connect it? Will I also be able to maintain my 7.1 analog listening configuration when connected in this manner?

Thanks
No. You need an LFE output. If you connect the right and left outputs together your whole system will be mono unless you interface a buffer amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just use the rca subwoofer pre-out on your 105D to the LFE input on the 1500X. The balanced/xlr connection isn't necessary (altho can have some advantages on long cable runs or with certain noise issues). The XLR pre-outs on the 105D are limited to L/R mains only.

ps Just what is your current 7.1 connection setup?

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
Just use the rca subwoofer pre-out on your 105D to the LFE input on the 1500X. The balanced/xlr connection isn't necessary (altho can have some advantages on long cable runs or with certain noise issues). The XLR pre-outs on the 105D are limited to L/R mains only.

ps Just what is your current 7.1 connection setup?
Monitor is Pioneer 50" Elite Plasma kuro-111. connected to OPPO 105D HDMI -1 output
I have Martin Logan Motion 40's L/R. Which are Bi-Amped to left and right surround back channels on Monolith 7X200 AMP.
Martin Logan Motion 8 center channel
Martin Logan Electro Motion "R" for in ceiling surrounds.
Martin Logan Dynamo 1500X Sub Woofer
Cables are; Blue jeans 4X14 Canare 4S11'S Spade on first end with bannana locking on second end.And Belden 1505 audio cables for 7.1 Analog Audio.
Utilizing the OPPO'S Analog 7.1 stereo analog outputs powered by the Monolith 7X200 Amplifier.
Bass management speaker configuration is set to small per 105d's manuel and down mixed to 7.1.
Shelved my VSX-52 A/V, OPPO 105d is Pre-Amp with sat box connect to HDMI BACK and Apple TV HDMI connected to Front. Also considering incorporating my old klisph sub in for a 7.2 configuration.

I have at most, a modest set-up compared to many. However, the quality of my home theater experience, audio as well a video, has been upgraded substantially with this configuration . The OOPO 105D is an outstanding home theater component!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes they (the 105D) are nice but depends if it makes sense to have one or not, for me it's not. The rca sub pre-out from the 105D is the way to go in your case. If you do add a second sub a y-splitter will work fine and if you place them equidistant should be fine (but you will be essentially limited to the lesser sub's capabilities).

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
Yes they (the 105D) are nice but depends if it makes sense to have one or not, for me it's not. The rca sub pre-out from the 105D is the way to go in your case. If you do add a second sub a y-splitter will work fine and if you place them equidistant should be fine (but you will be essentially limited to the lesser sub's capabilities).
I have to take your word for your own unique system, however pragmatically speaking for me, it makes perfect sense. They OPPO has a dedicated SABRE32 Reference ES9018 DAC for audio processing for digital content and a seperate DAC for analog 7.1 surround sound for audiophile listening. Also videophile picture quality, with the Darbee video enhancement as just one of its video features. The only con I can think of is, I've purchased more music in the past month than I have in the last ten years!

Thanks for the advice however.

Last edited:
O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern
No. You need an LFE output. If you connect the right and left outputs together your whole system will be mono unless you interface a buffer amp.
This is the reply I got from OPPO support.

Yes, this will work, since all outputs on the player are live at the same time. So you will want to set the the Stereo Signal (Audio Processing) to Front Left/Right instead of Down-mixed Stereo.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is the reply I got from OPPO support.

Yes, this will work, since all outputs on the player are live at the same time. So you will want to set the the Stereo Signal (Audio Processing) to Front Left/Right instead of Down-mixed Stereo.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
What was the question posed to Oppo?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes I copied and pasted the initial question I started this thread with, they just replied this afternoon.
Well you spoke to the village idiot at Oppo.

Your sub has one XLR input for connection. Sub outputs are mono. The left and right sub outs carry the same signal. Some subs have left and right inputs, and have buffer amps in case you want to send a full range left and right signal from a preamp or in your case your Oppo player. If there is only one input buffering by the sub is not possible.

I have never seen buffered outputs on any unit.

That means that if you connect right and left outputs other than sub outputs which are already mono, then you will convert your device, in your case the Oppo player from a stereo unit to a mono one.

So to do what you want to do requires a buffer amp like this which can be converted to a summing amp, by an easy internal mod. I know I have one.

In the unlikely event the right and left XLR outputs on the Oppo are buffered you can easily find out.

After you combine the left and right XLR outputs of your Oppo and send them to the single LFE output of your sub just play a signal that has left sided content only. If you only hear sound from the left speaker then those outputs from the Oppo are buffered. If on the other hand you here sound from the left and right speaker then you have mono because the outputs are not buffered. In that case you will need a buffer/combing amp between your Oppo and the sub.

Don't bother asking Oppo as for almost 100% certain the person you talk to will not know what buffering is and the requirement for it.

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern

Your sub has one XLR input for connection. Sub outputs are mono. The left and right sub outs carry the same signal. Some subs have left and right inputs, and have buffer amps in case you want to send a full range left and right signal from a preamp or in your case your Oppo player. If there is only one input buffering by the sub is not possible.

That means that if you connect right and left outputs other than sub outputs which are already mono, then you will convert your device, in your case the Oppo player from a stereo unit to a mono one.

So to do what you want to do requires a buffer amp like this which can be converted to a summing amp, by an easy internal mod. I know I have one.

In the unlikely event the right and left XLR outputs on the Oppo are buffered you can easily find out.

After you combine the left and right XLR outputs of your Oppo and send them to the single LFE output of your sub just play a signal that has left sided content only. If you only hear sound from the left speaker then those outputs from the Oppo are buffered. If on the other hand you here sound from the left and right speaker then you have mono because the outputs are not buffered. In that case you will need a buffer/combing amp between your Oppo and the sub.

Don't bother asking Oppo as for almost 100% certain the person you talk to will not know what buffering is and the requirement for it.
Well I think referring to the OPPO rep as a "village idiot" was a little strong. I've referred to them a few times now about my set up and so far there advise has been right on. In addition to OPPO tech support, I posed the same question on different respectable forums ; AVS and others and they all seem to share similar opinions as the OPPO tech about the configuration.

I'm a simple man with a simple and modest configuration at best. Adding buffering amps and other equipment is out of my scope. I don't think Myself,nor my configuration is sophisticated enough for this forum.

I'm still waiting for the sub to arrive. I ordered a XLR Y connector female and male connect for sub. Also a y connector RCA with Y adapter to spilt two subs in case XLR configuration won't work without having to add more equipment. My Wife is over it already with me and this system.

If the XLR configuration won't work, then I'll just use the RCA's. I did however pose the question on this forum and I appreciate the frank and exact advise. Thanks for your well intentioned advise.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well I think referring to the OPPO rep as a "village idiot" was a little strong. I've referred to them a few times now about my set up and so far there advise has been right on. In addition to OPPO tech support, I posed the same question on different respectable forums ; AVS and others and they all seem to share similar opinions as the OPPO tech about the configuration.

I'm a simple man with a simple and modest configuration at best. Adding buffering amps and other equipment is out of my scope. I don't think Myself,nor my configuration is sophisticated enough for this forum.

I'm still waiting for the sub to arrive. I ordered a XLR Y connector female and male connect for sub. Also a y connector RCA with Y adapter to spilt two subs in case XLR configuration won't work without having to add more equipment. My Wife is over it already with me and this system.

If the XLR configuration won't work, then I'll just use the RCA's. I did however pose the question on this forum and I appreciate the frank and exact advise. Thanks for your well intentioned advise.
I would strongly advise using the RCA connection. Your question comes up often. It is common for people to want to combine a left and right analog output to connect to a sub that only has one input. So far my advice has not been wrong yet. When people do this it invariably results in the total system going mono, as doing this couples the channels of the sending device together. The result is then double mono. This would only be prevented if the sending device, has dual buffering amps internally between the device electronics and the output terminals. I'm sure there are units that have this, but one has not cropped up here yet. Specs are always silent about it.

If your Oppo has buffered outputs, it will be the first we have encountered yet.

If you do couple the XLR outputs make sure you do the test I outlined above, to make sure you are not converting your Oppo to a double mono device from a stereo one. If that is what occurs then use one of the sub outs. It will not matter which one you use. Although marked left and right they will be identical and you don't have to bother to couple them.

I think that is your best and simplest solution anyway.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know that by going from two unbalanced outputs to on input that you would be forcing everything to go mono, but you would at the very least be creating a short. You can split the out of a device to go to multiple inputs, but you never want to use simple splitters to join different signals to go to a single input. If that is a solution that Oppo actually recommended, then wow. Use the RCA connection. Your proposed solution to join two balanced cables without a proper mixer is sooo much worse.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What I don't know, is that if you setup your front L/R main outputs to include the LFE information, if that gets passed through all your L/R connections or not.

That is, you can't just get LFE out of your L/R main outputs, so you will want to ensure that the Oppo, or your amps, are passing the proper signal range out to the speakers.

If they are, then including the LFE information in the L/R main outputs won't harm anything, and then you are in the practical aspect of whether you get better sound doing what you are proposing or by just using an RCA cable.

ANSWER: Use a RCA cable.

You aren't getting a proper balanced connection using a XLR Y-Cable. It's a lousy way to go. You aren't combining two separate signals and then creating a properly balanced signal. You're just jamming two quality signals together, then getting a mis-matched output in return.

If you aren't getting a balanced summing adapter, then use a decent unbalanced RCA cable instead and connect to the LFE channel after setting it up properly.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you aren't getting a balanced summing adapter, then use a decent balanced RCA cable instead and connect to the LFE channel after setting it up properly.
What rca cable is balanced?

O

ofcr17601

Audioholic Intern

Hello I recieved my XLR balanced Y cable from Blue Jeans today full of skepticism from all the advise I received on the forum. I made the connection per the " Village idiot" at OPPO recommended and it works great. I'm new to sound and home theater and therefore I'm at a disadvantage when trying to explain terminology which I don't quite understand. I do believe the miscommunication about this subject is 99.1% my fault. I think I didn't included the Dynamo Sub has a bypass feature in my initial post that you set the sub to "bypass" and you configure bass management via the pre-amp which is my case the Oppo 105D.

I still have my 7.1 surround sound and I have my second sub connected to OPPO RCA out connection. It doesn't matter if I down mix it to 7.1 or select the LT/RT mix, it sounds unbelievable in high quality surround sound. Others on different forums advised the XLR connects are 6-8 db's higher than RCA cables and they were right, everything sounds crystal clear and with great depth and length. I cant explain it,but the entire system sounds 50% better by connecting XLR to new sub? or the new config LT/RT on the OPPO 105D.

I regret having to return all the subwoofer cabling and rca Y cables purchased because I anticipated the XLR's would not deliver. However, I think I'm going to put a little more faith in the men and women who actually conceived and manufactured a component first, then if that doesn't work ask resident experts who actually own a specific component.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis