Speakers comparable to Amphion Argon 3?

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
I recently heard the Amphion Argon 3 standmounts speakers at a dealer, and I fell in love with everything about them except for the price (3000 new, plus whatever the stands cost).

Which begs the question: can anyone suggest some other speakers out there that are sonically similar to the Argons but are priced a little lower, possibly Internet direct?

What I liked about the Argons was how transparent they were without sounding analytical and lean. I felt like I was right there in the studio. They also have amazing bass response considering their size, but since I'll be using a sub, that's not a driving factor for me.

In the same listening session, I listened to Revel Performa3 towers and thought they were too warm, and they were more transparent than KEF R700s. Also, I felt closer to the music than I have in the past listening to Ascend Sierra 1s (NrT), though I do like the ascend quite a bit. (Similarly transparent, but not quite as alive.) Although it's been years since I heard them, they reminded me of my memory of some high end Dalis, I forget which line, but they were even pricier.

Before I drop 3k on these, is there anything out there with comparable sound but smaller sticker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recently heard the Amphion Argon 3 standmounts speakers at a dealer, and I fell in love with everything about them except for the price (3000 new, plus whatever the stands cost).

Which begs the question: can anyone suggest some other speakers out there that are sonically similar to the Argons but are priced a little lower, possibly Internet direct?

What I liked about the Argons was how transparent they were without sounding analytical and lean. I felt like I was right there in the studio. They also have amazing bass response considering their size, but since I'll be using a sub, that's not a driving factor for me.

In the same listening session, I listened to Revel Performa3 towers and thought they were too warm, and they were more transparent than KEF R700s. Also, I felt closer to the music than I have in the past listening to Ascend Sierra 1s (NrT), though I do like the ascend quite a bit. (Similarly transparent, but not quite as alive.) Although it's been years since I heard them, they reminded me of my memory of some high end Dalis, I forget which line, but they were even pricier.

Before I drop 3k on these, is there anything out there with comparable sound but smaller sticker?

So you've heard Amphion, Ascend, KEF, Revel.

Check out the other standmount speakers (not Towers) from RBH, Monitor Audio, NHT, PSB, Paradigm, SVS.

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
Ok, will do! (I should have mentioned heard Paradigm Studio and Prestige series, but there were no Signatures set up. To my ears, the speakers from both lower lines sounded fairly colored relative to the Argons.)

Are any of them known for "punching above their weight"? My assumption would be that SVS, being Internet direct, would offer more value than the others that use traditional distribution.

DukeL

DukeL

Audioholic Intern
Imo one of the things that makes the Amphions so special is the attention the designers paid to radiation pattern control. The benefits of good radiation pattern control cannot be replicated by doing something else well.

I think you're most likely to find "like the Argon 3 but less expensive" by looking at less expensive models in the Amphion line. Their prosound side is worth looking at too.

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know that I ended up ordering a set of Philharmonic BMR 3way monitors. They have everything I liked about the amphions (is it possible the BMR midrange has similar dispersion to the waveguide that Amohion uses?), better bass, and saved me 1000 even after I asked Dennis to upgrade the stock caps and moved the port to the front. Can't wait to take delivery later this summer!

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
is it possible the BMR midrange has similar dispersion to the waveguide that Amohion uses?
Waveguides are used for pattern control between drivers at crossover frequencies. Dennis uses flush mounted drivers instead, but of carefully chosen size, combined with thoughtfully chosen crossover frequencies, to similar effect.

Note the Amphion crossing from a ~5" mid/woof to a 1" tweet. Flush mounting of such drivers, with a realistic crossover frequency probably north of 2.5khz, would very likely result in an off axis flare at the bottom of the tweet's range. This aberrant off-axis response would be quite different than the direct sound, and adversely effect the overall sound hitting your ears, which is a combo of direct and reflected sound. The solution would be crossing over at lower frequencies, where the woofs are less directional and provide a better match, but small dome tweeters generally cannot do that, so Amphion used a waveguide to constrict the tweet's dispersion instead.

It looks like Dennis chose drivers and crossover frequencies such that the crossover frequencies between them are lower, where both drivers have comparably wide dispersion, giving a directivity match between them while preserving a very wide pattern.

I think you'll be very pleased with your new Phils, in terms of value proposition and their over all sound. Please be sure to post your impressions. Not too many BMR Philharmonitor owners out there as of yet.

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
Hey all, I'm planning to pick up my BMRs from Dennis next week. I've seen the crossovers, and they look very impressive with the upgraded Audyn Plus caps (not sure how he managed to fit the large caps on the boards).

M

mx416

Audioholic
Would like to hear your thoughts and see some pics.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Let us know how you like them when you have them!

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
I'm planning to pick them up on Wednesday -- will definitely share my thoughts once I've had a chance to form some impressions. In the meantime, here are some pics Dennis sent me. Note the front facing slotted port, which is by request. The cabinets are walnut with some black stain around the corners, made by Jim Salk.

-----------
Edit: Just in case someone jumps to the end of this thread and doesn't read the entire exchange, these photos are of my new Philharmonic BMR monitors.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I'm planning to pick them up on Wednesday -- will definitely share my thoughts once I've had a chance to form some impressions. In the meantime, here are some pics Dennis sent me. Note the front facing slotted port, which is by request. The cabinets are walnut with some black stain around the corners, made by Jim Salk.

-----------
Edit: Just in case someone jumps to the end of this thread and doesn't read the entire exchange, these photos are of my new Philharmonic BMR monitors.

They look really nice! Tho I myself would of gone without the black edges but that's just my opinion. Bet they will sound really good how ever!

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
Thanks! I picked them up yesterday, and the finish came out exactly how I was hoping it would. But that's the thing about Salk cabinets -- they're all custom to taste.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks! I picked them up yesterday, and the finish came out exactly how I was hoping it would. But that's the thing about Salk cabinets -- they're all custom to taste.

That slot port looks tiny in the pic :eek:

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Well? What's the verdict? (I personally love the sunburst finish.)

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
Thanks (me too). I just posted my review. Sorry for the delay!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis