RSL Speedwoofer 10S Subwoofer Review

R

Rick Ross

Enthusiast
You shouldn't judge a sub too much on how it performs at the very maximum limits of its performance envelope. It isn't designed to be operated at that level for any longer than a split second. Those numbers are quite good for a small sub at its price. Here are some other measurements of the THD of small subs at CEA-2010 max output levels, and don't just compare THD, compare output levels as well:
B&W ASW-610XP
Emotiva X-Ref12
Klipsch SW-311

Keep in mind all of these subs were much more expensive than the RSL sub.
Those numbers are far worse than the Bic PL-200 distortion levels. Very unimpressive results.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You are still not seeing context. The PL200 is a larger sub, and it is tuned higher. These are some very significant advantages. Also, we don't know if the RSL CEA-2010 numbers are distortion limited or not. If they are not, than that is not too bad. To be sure, neither is a great sub, but they are both budget subwoofers, so you have to keep your expectations in check. You are not going to get anything that is as small and less expensive than the RSL that can dig as deep as it does as well as it does.

R

Rick Ross

Enthusiast
The PL-200 is only slightly bigger than the 10S, actually not as wide. Both subs have similar max spl from 25Hz to 80Hz, with the PL-200 having and vantage at 40 and 50Hz. So the budget sub PL-200 is in ways superior and less expensive, yet RSL advertises this "super-sub to dominate it's 12" rivals." Who are these rivals? Shady J, do you own this sub?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't own an RSL sub. And no, it does not dominate its 12" rivals. But it is a small, 10" ported sub tuned to 20 Hz or so, and it is not terribly expensive. Its aim is an affordable sub with reasonable WAF that can dig down to 20 Hz, and that is the context it should be judged in. With all due respect to Bill F, I doubt very much that he could design something better within that criteria.

R

Rick Ross

Enthusiast
It's +/- 3dB is at 24Hz. I wouldn't say it digs down to 20Hz, more like "skims" down to 20Hz. 92dB at 20Hz is pretty weak and probably a lot of that is distortion. Anyway, I was really interested in the 10S, but at this point I see no real reason to buy it unless other than it's fairly small for a ported box. Outlet PB-1000 is just a little more and a far superior sub.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I was thinking of buying this for a second sub which one would be better this or the BIC formula F-12 sub from parts express or even there BIC RtR-EV1200?

N

Nic

Audiophyte
The folks at RSL were pretty frank about their goals when they developed the Speedwoofer 10S subwoofer, available for only $399 with free shipping. They looked to the competition, starting with the best subwoofers in the $500 range and “didn't stop building until we had one that substantially outperformed the rest.”

Was the end result a serious contender for being the best value sub available today?

Here's a hint, this little sub earned our Medium Room Bassaholic rating and using 2 could get you the large rating. What do you think?

Read: RSL Speedwoofer 10S Subwoofer Review
Hello Gene, first of all I would like to thank you and Hugo for all of your invaluable and honest content. This is my first post/question. I have a "large living room" that opens up to the kitchen. I was thinking about purchasing two RSL 10s subs, or one big sub like the HSU ULS-15MK2, or SVS PB 2000. I will use it for music and movies pretty evenly but I definitely care more about music. What should I do?? Also I'm planning on purchasing the Elac Unifi towers and center channel.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hello Gene, first of all I would like to thank you and Hugo for all of your invaluable and honest content. This is my first post/question. I have a "large living room" that opens up to the kitchen. I was thinking about purchasing two RSL 10s subs, or one big sub like the HSU ULS-15MK2, or SVS PB 2000. I will use it for music and movies pretty evenly but I definitely care more about music. What should I do?? Also I'm planning on purchasing the Elac Unifi towers and center channel.
Two subs can get you a flatter response, and that can really help the overall sound. Its still hard to recommend two Speedwoofers when compared to something like a ULS-15 mk2. If we compare the measurements, the ULS has between 6 to 11 dB more headroom than the speedwoofer; that is like 2 to nearly 4 times the power. I would say if you don't listen to things loud, get two speedwoofers, but if you like to crank it from time to time, a ULS would be better. The PB2000 would have more output around 16 to 30 Hz, but the ULS would have more output above and below that range. I would also consider a couple Hsu VTF1 mk3s for a multiple sub setup for around the same cost. For a single sub, also consider the VTF3 mk5.

N

Nic

Audiophyte
Two subs can get you a flatter response, and that can really help the overall sound. Its still hard to recommend two Speedwoofers when compared to something like a ULS-15 mk2. If we compare the measurements, the ULS has between 6 to 11 dB more headroom than the speedwoofer; that is like 2 to nearly 4 times the power. I would say if you don't listen to things loud, get two speedwoofers, but if you like to crank it from time to time, a ULS would be better. The PB2000 would have more output around 16 to 30 Hz, but the ULS would have more output above and below that range. I would also consider a couple Hsu VTF1 mk3s for a multiple sub setup for around the same cost. For a single sub, also consider the VTF3 mk5.
Thank you for your response Gene. I like headroom because I do enjoy music on the louder side. Now the Definitive Technology BP 8060st powered towers are selling for $500 a piece so I'm considering a pair because of the built in subs and the fact I can send more of my receivers' 100wpc for the mids and tweeters to get the most volume out of this hypothetical setup. While now focusing on a single sub to compliment the powered subs in the 8060's. I would like your opinion on the 8060's at this price point which is half the original price (due to new model out now). Are they a better consideration than the Elac towers for my hypothetical setup? Your guidance is always appreciated.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you for your response Gene. I like headroom because I do enjoy music on the louder side. Now the Definitive Technology BP 8060st powered towers are selling for $500 a piece so I'm considering a pair because of the built in subs and the fact I can send more of my receivers' 100wpc for the mids and tweeters to get the most volume out of this hypothetical setup. While now focusing on a single sub to compliment the powered subs in the 8060's. I would like your opinion on the 8060's at this price point which is half the original price (due to new model out now). Are they a better consideration than the Elac towers for my hypothetical setup? Your guidance is always appreciated.
Lol, I am not Gene. The subwoofer built in to the 8060s is not much of a subwoofer. It's a 10" woofer with two 10 passive radiators powered by a 300 watt amp in a small enclosure. That isn't going to get tremendously loud. And you won't be sending any more current to the speakers with your AVR amp than you would with any other setup with a powered subwoofer, since the AVR crossover is going to high pass filter the signal you are sending to the speakers you power with it anyway. Between it and the Elac towers, they will both get about as loud as each other. If it were me, I would be considering the RBH E55Ti towers if you wanted a tower speaker. Something else that should be able to get loud for 500 each is the prosonus R80, if you can handle its less conventional looks. Pair those with a Hsu 15" sub (or two), and you will have a system that should be able to hit pretty hard.

N

Nic

Audiophyte
Lol, I am not Gene. The subwoofer built in to the 8060s is not much of a subwoofer. It's a 10" woofer with two 10 passive radiators powered by a 300 watt amp in a small enclosure. That isn't going to get tremendously loud. And you won't be sending any more current to the speakers with your AVR amp than you would with any other setup with a powered subwoofer, since the AVR crossover is going to high pass filter the signal you are sending to the speakers you power with it anyway. Between it and the Elac towers, they will both get about as loud as each other. If it were me, I would be considering the RBH E55Ti towers if you wanted a tower speaker. Something else that should be able to get loud for 500 each is the prosonus R80, if you can handle its less conventional looks. Pair those with a Hsu 15" sub (or two), and you will have a system that should be able to hit pretty hard.
Wow thank you for your input Shady J. I am looking into the options you suggested. I wouldn't consider the Presonus just because I already have JBL lsr308's (they are too wide to use next to the tv) which I like the sound signature of over the Presonus. The RBH E55Ti really intrigue me. They are a beautiful speaker that with all those drivers I feel like I would eventually want to buy an Emotiva amp and give them the 250 watts they deserve. Also, I have one big problem with purchasing a subwoofer. Although a lot of them ship free or cheaply, I live in Hawaii. And companies like Emotiva give absolutely no breaks or discounts for us. So that means items like speakers (unless bought through Amazon prime) CAN cost up to 30% more when shipping is factors in. So I realize I have to consider my options with flexibility in mind.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The folks at RSL were pretty frank about their goals when they developed the Speedwoofer 10S subwoofer, available for only $399 with free shipping. They looked to the competition, starting with the best subwoofers in the $500 range and “didn't stop building until we had one that substantially outperformed the rest.”

Was the end result a serious contender for being the best value sub available today?

Here's a hint, this little sub earned our Medium Room Bassaholic rating and using 2 could get you the large rating. What do you think?

Read: RSL Speedwoofer 10S Subwoofer Review
I was looking for a picture to see the controls on the back - surprised that your review doesn't include any!
RSL does not have one on their product page!
Might be good to set up a checklist so something like this does not get missed in the future!
Here is the only one I found (using Google Images):

F

flyboy217

Audiophyte
Okay, so I'm about to upgrade from a Dayton Sub-1000. I think the RSL SW10S might be perfect (for a large room and mostly bassy music use), but some seem to suggest that the BIC PL-200 ii might be nearly as good. Others suggest moving up to the SVS PB-1000. (There's also a SB-12NSD I might still be able to snag for < $450....) Any thoughts?

Last edited:
O

otto2008

Audioholic Intern
Okay, so I'm about to upgrade from a Dayton Sub-1000. I think the RSL SW10S might be perfect (for a large room and mostly bassy music use), but some seem to suggest that the BIC PL-200 ii might be nearly as good. Others suggest moving up to the SVS PB-1000. (There's also a SB-12NSD I might still be able to snag for < $450....) Any thoughts?
I was looking at this too, my room is 10x10, just for music and i have a BIC f12 and feel like its horrible for music. Running polk monitor 40s and a Yamaha reciever. My budget is $400...but keep hearing mixed reviews...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was looking at this too, my room is 10x10, just for music and i have a BIC f12 and feel like its horrible for music. Running polk monitor 40s and a Yamaha reciever. My budget is $400...but keep hearing mixed reviews...
A 10'x10' room is bound to have some very heavy standing waves. I don't think any particular brand of sub is going to help you in there. What could help is a multi sub approach.

O

otto2008

Audioholic Intern
A 10'x10' room is bound to have some very heavy standing waves. I don't think any particular brand of sub is going to help you in there. What could help is a multi sub approach.
its' either add another F12 , or 2 dayton 1500s...., room is tiny with not much room to play..thx !

D

Dave PBC Fl

Audiophyte
We have owned the Speedwoofer for about 9 months now. It is paired with a JL E-Sub e112 (granted - not a fair pairing - as the JL never hits notes it can't handle ... however with 1 sub in a big room, to get full effect it actually hurts your ears if turn it up to much) so to get a fuller effect I thought i'd pair it with the ported Speedwoofer. It did provide a much fuller base level for a variety of listing formats from music to movies. However, in the past week we played a newer movie that has an exceptional amount of unnaturally low base. The result was i had turn (within a few minutes) the base setting back on the Speedwoofer as low as they would go ... as it was pure distortion. Today i'm listening to simple acoustic on Spotify - and i can here distortion and creaking from the Speedwoofer case. It sounds like the insides have been shaken loose. I've noticed the distortion from normal recordings if played loud. So the bottom line: There is a definite downside limit when it comes to pairing subs ... and i unfortunately exceeded it.

Main system: Marantz SR-7013, Aperion Grand Center, DCM TimeWindow 7 mains, PSB Atmos, Aperion Tower rears (Grand - small - discontinued). Area of use is BIG open room (spacial equivalent of a triple living room)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis