Fisher Loudspeaker Specs Sheet

C

Chris Byrne

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I've attached a Fisher Loudspeaker spreadsheet from the 70's on here and have a simple question...might be pretty obvious but I want to be sure as I'm looking for the right amp for my new set of speakers. I'm a newbie to this...

My question is about the watts listed in the category: "Maximum Music Power". Taking the first model of speaker listed as an example, the "Fisher XP-44B", 20 watts are listed as its maximum music power. Does this mean that each speaker is 20 watts totally 40 watts total...or does the pair of speakers together equal a total of 20 watts? I need to know so I can determine the right amp to buy...

Thanks so much in advance.

Chris

Attachments

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
That wattage means the maximum power those speakers can handle. Amp wattage rating is the maximum wattage your amp can output. Your amp will output same wattage to both speakers, so if you output 20 watts from amp both speakers are getting 20 watts. You are safe to use more powerfull amp than 20 watts how ever as long as you dont crank the volume all the way up. For normal listening volume you are mostlikely only using couple watts. In any case if your speakers start to sound bad / make sound that do not belong there turn the volume down immediately.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That is maximum power - 20 watts total - would be my expectation.

Which has nothing to do with the amp you buy.

This is really a very old speaker, and specifications were likely extremely conservative. But, unless you start playing things at full volume, you won't be handing it 50 watts from a 50 watt amplifier, but a much lower level.

Generally speaking, people damage speakers more often by underpowering them vs. overpowering them. So, getting a 50 or 100 watt amplifier won't hurt them unless you crank the volume all the way up.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That spec sheet reads to me like spec sheet for car and it's engine, but instead of actually usable and interesting numbers like horsepower, torque and fuel mileage, it lists weight of engine pushrods and cylinders and well as fuel line thickness etc..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis