A/V over CAT6 using Plex or whatever suggested

R

riehmc

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha RX-V481, Vizio D50U-D1 and E65-C3, a NAS, and PC running W10. I was planning on using Plex on the PC to push content from a NAS (youtube, etc). The TV's and receiver only have ethernet running to them. I want to push video to the TV while simultaneously pushing audio to the receiver.

Yamaha has networking features about pushing audio from a NAS, but they don't go into much detail.

The TV and receiver are on the opposite side of the building from the switch, PC, and NAS.

Is this feasible or should I run an HDMI from one of the TV's?

Any other ideas?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have a Yamaha RX-V481, Vizio D50U-D1 and E65-C3, a NAS, and PC running W10. I was planning on using Plex on the PC to push content from a NAS (youtube, etc). The TV's and receiver only have ethernet running to them. I want to push video to the TV while simultaneously pushing audio to the receiver.

Yamaha has networking features about pushing audio from a NAS, but they don't go into much detail.

The TV and receiver are on the opposite side of the building from the switch, PC, and NAS.

Any other ideas?
If you want more function than the inbuilt apps that Vizio feels they need to provide you will want a PC.

The Audio Return Channel of the HDMI should get the job done otherwise.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
IF your TV supports Plex client - run ethernet to tv and rely on hdmi ARC for audio back to avr.
https://www.plex.tv/blog/plex-vizio/
otherwise you could get Amazon FireTV Stick and connect to your avr hdmi input directly, use plex client on it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Any other ideas?
If you can run cables to the TV, just do it. Aside from soldering RCA plugs onto the Cat6, anything else will require some kind of adapter/converter and that can be expensive. If the Cat6 are all connected to the network and you can run cables from the AV to the TV, install an HDMI from the AVR to the TV and use it only as a monitor unless you'll use its tuner and in that case, run an optical cable to the AVR from the TV. If you want to add frustration to your life, use ARC.

If you look at AppleTV, Roku and ChromeCast, these may be a good option, too.

R

riehmc

Audiophyte
I have Plex up and running on 2 TV's and the receiver hooked up via HDMI to the PC. Only problem I have is how to play all 3 devices at the same time so video/audio is in sync

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis