Thoughts on SVS Prime?

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
I'm just beginning the journey to a new set of towers.
A budget of 2-4k should allow 2 towers a center and an upgrade to a paradigm subwoofer(now 10 yrs old).
I have 2 ceiling speakers I'm considering using as ATMOS speakers.

I have pretty much decided on a 2015 Yamaha 1050 AVR.(not included in the 2-4K).
I will also be adding a 2015 Samsung 4k Ultra 65" set.
My current setup is 7.1. I would go to 5.1.2 with the Atmos.
I currently have Pinnacle Bookshelves(front 3), and 4 in ceiling Yamaha's that I use for surround and Back Channels.

How would the SVS's do,as replacements for the LRC and sub, or are there other suggestions?

THANKS
DJWPAR3

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So $4K for 2 big towers, 1 horizontal center, and 1 subwoofer?

How big is your room?

How far do you sit from the screen?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
There are a lot of good options out there in that price range, but to give a sort-of answer to your question....I have the SVS Ultra bookshelves and they are excellent. Paired with a sub and they are more than worth the money.

If you're serious about SVS prime speakers I would simply take advantage of their in home trial and see for yourself instead of looking for other opinions. Your own ears will be your best bet. I would get a pair of the SVS prime bookshelves to use for the trial and go from there. You may find that they fit the bill since you're pairing with a sub anyways.

As far as other suggestions

http://salksound.com/

http://philharmonicaudio.com/

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

http://www.sourcespeaker.com/

https://www.aperionaudio.com/

http://emptek.com/

http://www.xtzsound.us/

http://www.nhthifi.com/

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/

AcuDef is an RBH dealer so you may want to check them out as well

http://rbhsound.com/index.php

C

Carravagio16

Audiophyte
I'm just beginning the journey to a new set of towers.
A budget of 2-4k should allow 2 towers a center and an upgrade to a paradigm subwoofer(now 10 yrs old).
I have 2 ceiling speakers I'm considering using as ATMOS speakers.

I have pretty much decided on a 2015 Yamaha 1050 AVR.(not included in the 2-4K).
I will also be adding a 2015 Samsung 4k Ultra 65" set.
My current setup is 7.1. I would go to 5.1.2 with the Atmos.
I currently have Pinnacle Bookshelves(front 3), and 4 in ceiling Yamaha's that I use for surround and Back Channels.

How would the SVS's do,as replacements for the LRC and sub, or are there other suggestions?

THANKS
DJWPAR3
DJWPAR3,
I agree that you should just try the primes in your home and see what your ears say. I know sometimes that it may seem like a bit of trouble to do the whole "in home" demo from multiple manufactures however in the end it really is worth it because you will decidedly know what is right for your home. SVS has a great product but so does some of the other companies listed by "fuzz09288" I know you mentioned towers for you home however i would recommend any product by rslspeakers.com the sound produced in conjunction with a properly match sub is really amazing. and speaking of Sub's Yes SVS has great subs, but i would also take a hard look at Outlaw audio's Sub which is currently on sale via "B" stock for only $499 That is a crazy steal for a sub that has the output and specs it has. best of luck and keep us posted on your decisions. Oh and one more thing. You mentioned your Yamaha receiver of choice however the Marantz SR5010 seems to deliver everything at a better price point. FYI. okay good luck

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I would switch to SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers for the same money!
After running your room EQ program, manually set the Ultras to small and set the crossover to 60Hz as a starting point.
I have heard the Ultra Bookshelf in a large living room and it did a fine job of filling the room with no signs of stress.
Talk to SVS about floating both the Prime Tower and the Ultra Bookshelf on your credit card and keeping the pair you prefer. That way you will never second guess your decision.
As long as the Ultra BS puts out enough sound to fill your room (and I think it will), you are buying into a decidedly higher level of Sound Quality. The only reason for the towers would be if you did not want to use subs.

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
Instead of the 1050, I went with the 2050. Mainly for the additional channels supported and other bells & whistles.
I set it up in my current 7.1 system and it sounds great. Set up was fairly simple due to great new GUI on Yamaha, compared to my old Yam-863(which I guess I'll move upstairs).

I am still evaluating SVS Bookshelves or Prime Towers vs Klipsch Reference Towers....will decide soon.

Spouse actually prefers towers....thinks they look better. I would be happy with either, since I do have an excellent Paradigm sub.

I'm a bit confused on the "ATMOS" config. To which terminals do I attach the surrounds for a 5.1.2 setup?
I plan to add 2 ceiling speakers later to do a full 5.1.4

What happens to the Atmos speakers when NOT playing ATMOS material?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

This is FUN!

Y

yanks1

Audiophyte
I'd also recommend giving the SVS primes and/or Ultra a good listen, I have read many positive comments on other forums. Regarding Atmos speakers, I'm not sure if they would receive a normal signal from non-atmos material. Most of us will connect hem to our Height speaker connections. Good luck selecting your speakers

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the input. I'd say I'm 90% decided on SVS Prime Towers and center.
I intend to order them within the next 2 weeks.
The 2050 is fantastic! If you purchase Yamaha, FORGET the remote...the apps (free, IOS & Android) are better than I expected.
Any ideas on AV FURNITURE?
I'm looking at the BDI REVO....it's corner friendly and has a space for the center channel. Reviews are good, BUT it is expensive. My planned TV is a Samsung 8500 or 9500....still on the fence.....not convinced about the CURVE.
Any alternatives for a reasonable amount?

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
Wonder what you decided, I ended up ordering a Prime tower surround package from them. Should be here next week.

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
I went with the Prime Towers.
They are excellent, very spacious and open sound.
There WAS a period of "break in" with the center, It was too bright out of the box, but you can manually adjust and evaluate after a few weeks.
We watch movies from blu-ray and concerts, and we are extremely pleased with the SVS.
My return period ends next week....no way I'm returning them.
The black gloss is gorgeous.
I DO recommend a separate sub , and their customer service will walk you thru how to set up the crossovers etc.

You will be VERY pleased!

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
Cool, yeah I went with the Piano black as well, never a fan of Ash. Would have preferred an old school Walnut but gloss is fine with me.
Yeah I got a sub. Do you recall what you set the crossover points on your satellites, towers and your center and what frequency you set your sub?
My guess is 80 on the towers 120 on the center and satellites and 90 on the back of subwoofer?

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
I contacted ED MULLEN SVS Tech re that question.
He will need to know your amp, room size, current sub etc in order to steer you in the right direction.
I have a Yamaha 2050, so his advice to me might not apply to you.
He(and SVS) are VERY helpful. below is my exchange.

Here is my question:

I know you have separate crossovers for your woofers in the towers. I have them set to "LARGE" right now to see how they handle the low sounds.

We listen mainly to movies and music(many concert videos)...

When I reconnect my sub, how should I set the crossover for the Towers?

[Ed Mullen:] Almost all Yamaha AVRs have a single global crossover for all channels set to Small. So you need to be protective of the smaller speakers in the system, which will probably necessitate something like an 80 Hz crossover for all speakers set to Small.

So in systems with this type of digital bass management and bass capable towers, we typically recommend the following options:

·Large

·Large with Double/Extra Bass enabled.

The latter will send a duplicate signal to the subwoofer for the front speakers, even though they are set to Large (full-range). Try both and see which you prefer.

..... (me)And that is the crucial point in my opinion. TWEAK, listen, tweak, LISTEN, TWEAK, LISTEN...
I think its all between the ears....it's the PURSUIT that is the most fun.

You will love your speakers.

DJ

djKail

djKail

Audiophyte
I contacted ED MULLEN SVS Tech re that question.
He will need to know your amp, room size, current sub etc in order to steer you in the right direction.
I have a Yamaha 2050, so his advice to me might not apply to you.
He(and SVS) are VERY helpful. below is my exchange.

Here is my question:

I know you have separate crossovers for your woofers in the towers. I have them set to "LARGE" right now to see how they handle the low sounds.

We listen mainly to movies and music(many concert videos)...

When I reconnect my sub, how should I set the crossover for the Towers?

[Ed Mullen:] Almost all Yamaha AVRs have a single global crossover for all channels set to Small. So you need to be protective of the smaller speakers in the system, which will probably necessitate something like an 80 Hz crossover for all speakers set to Small.

So in systems with this type of digital bass management and bass capable towers, we typically recommend the following options:

·Large

·Large with Double/Extra Bass enabled.

The latter will send a duplicate signal to the subwoofer for the front speakers, even though they are set to Large (full-range). Try both and see which you prefer.

..... (me)And that is the crucial point in my opinion. TWEAK, listen, tweak, LISTEN, TWEAK, LISTEN...
I think its all between the ears....it's the PURSUIT that is the most fun.

You will love your speakers.

DJ
I do not believe that if you have the speakers set to "large" in your Yamaha receiver (I have the 1050) that you will be getting any signal to the sub other than the dedicated LFE channel. The "extra bass" setting of the yamaha receivers (to the best of my knowledge) does not work like the Pioneer units which will send low frequencies to the sub as well as the main speakers. You may want to experience changing the main speakers to small and crossover setting to 60Hz - 80Hz and see if you notice improvement as the sub will do a better job here.

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
Got mine set up. Crossover on towers 40, center at 60, SATs at 80. Just ordered 2 more satellites for front heights. sub at 120

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
Got mine set up. Crossover on towers 40, center at 60, SATs at 80. Just ordered 2 more satellites for front heights. sub at 120
I made some changes moved my crossoverpoints on all speakers to 80, this took a huge load off the Denon. I left the bass crossover to 120. Ran Audyssey with grills off on towers then put grills on. Cranked up the subwoofer then lowered it on the Denon. I now have a nice buttery sound with a bit softer tweeter sound. These speakers are amazing.

L

lowkweesia

Audiophyte
The SVS prime tower indeed is a good speaker, I paired it with my Yamaha 1050 good sound and good performance. I set the speakers all to small except the center large with the crossover to 80 for all.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
The SVS prime tower indeed is a good speaker, I paired it with my Yamaha 1050 good sound and good performance. I set the speakers all to small except the center large with the crossover to 80 for all.
May I ask why did you leave center as large? If you have a sub(s) you should run your center as small as well with 80 crossover. If you dont have a sub then you should leave your mains as large.

L

lowkweesia

Audiophyte
I set the center to large because I hooked up my center speaker to another subwoofer, this can enlarge the soundstage, punchy and solid bass and excellent for cinematic's experience. You can try this if you have an extra subwoofer.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I set the center to large because I hooked up my center speaker to another subwoofer, this can enlarge the soundstage, punchy and solid bass and excellent for cinematic's experience. You can try this if you have an extra subwoofer.
Interesting setup you have. How many subwoofer you have? And is your "center" sub located under you center or how is it located in your room? If I were to go this route I would need 3rd sub and locate it under center or middle of back wall but this is not possible for me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis