Loudspeaker placement

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
So I listened to my current speakers at high volume and they seem distorted. (Led Zeppelin, Immigrant Song) Yes I can afford more expensive, before I do that, are there any adjustments I can make to get a little more life out of my current setup?
Should I consider the area of my entire apartment or just the main listening area?
They are bi-amped, I may undo this too.

approx area of entire apt: 4760 cubic feet 23'x23'x9' (9' ceiling)
main listening area approx 1100 cubic feet

Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65 (2)
two 5 1/4" BDSS bass/midrange drivers in D'Appolito array, pressure-coupled to one 6"x12" racetrack bass radiator, one 1" aluminum dome tweeter. 8 ohms, 30 Hz - 30kHZ, 92db sensitivity

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Make sure the placement is like this:

Make sure the speakers are aiming at your head. Make sure the tweeters are level at a height with your ears. Make sure the sub is crossed over at 80 Hz.

If the speakers are distorting at high volumes, make sure there is not signal clipping going on somewhere upstream the signal chain. After you ruled that out, then get better speakers. If your speakers are already properly placed, don't change that placement to compensate for a deficiency in your speakers; get better speakers. Btw, the 92 dB sensitivity rating on your mains are absolute nonsense. Brent Butterworth tested them at 85.3 dB, and that is less than half what DT rates them at. They will not have tremendous dynamic range, and that is easy to see from the design choices.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis