What brand receiver would you recommend for this scenario $1,000-$2,000 ish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
In early 2012 I bought a Pioneer SC-57 from Best Buy because it had Apple AirPlay and the largest amplification. I recently had the HDMI card go out and was told it would be roughly $500 to fix if they would even be able to get the part.

I have an Emotiva XPA-2 amp driving Salk HT-3's and 2 Salk 15" powered subs. I have an Oppo disk drive but mostly listen to music through AirPlay. Movies get watched but my focus is music.

My question is: Since I have amps powering all my speakers, what is a good replacement for the SC-57 that still has AirPlay and is rated highly for music production but that I'm not paying a lot of money in power output since I have amps powering all my speakers??

For example, the current high end Pioneers with "Air Studios" ratings are $1,700+ but do I really need to spend that much for an Air Studio rating and a lot of wattage that I'm not going to use anyways?

Thanks for any help,

Tom

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In early 2012 I bought a Pioneer SC-57 from Best Buy because it had Apple AirPlay and the largest amplification. I recently had the HDMI card go out and was told it would be roughly $500 to fix if they would even be able to get the part.

I have an Emotiva XPA-2 amp driving Salk HT-3's and 2 Salk 15" powered subs. I have an Oppo disk drive but mostly listen to music through AirPlay. Movies get watched but my focus is music.

My question is: Since I have amps powering all my speakers, what is a good replacement for the SC-57 that still has AirPlay and is rated highly for music production but that I'm not paying a lot of money in power output since I have amps powering all my speakers??

For example, the current high end Pioneers with "Air Studios" ratings are $1,700+ but do I really need to spend that much for an Air Studio rating and a lot of wattage that I'm not going to use anyways?

Thanks for any help,

Tom
In your situation I would not buy a receiver at all, I would buy a Marantz pre/pro.

This one is at the lower end of your budget.

I own 2 Marantz pre pros and I have been very pleased with them.
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVSeparates&SubCatId=0&ProductId=AV7005

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just curious did you call Pioneer or Best Buy? I'd call Pioneer to see If they will fix the board for free. I know Onkyo still repairs 5-6 years old units with HDMI problems.
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support
If they do repair I seriously recommend these fans for any receivers as most run hot anyway: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJ2J2K0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5
Not going to happen. Pioneer are pretty much out of parts for these units. Only four minor parts available for this unit now. The HDMI boards which gave a lot of trouble are long gone.

This receiver is done.

If he gets a pre pro which is far preferable to a receiver anyway then he won't need a fan as they run dead cool. Receivers are to be avoided when at all possible, but i understand many can't avoid them on grounds of cost.

The OP does NOT need a receiver and a good pre pro is well within his budget.

This problem if not enough boards being made for the life of units sold is getting a bigger and bigger issue.

The most serious is cars, as more an more cars are going down form board failure when they are not very old. The parts guy at the auto shop was ranting about this to me recently.

Right at the moment I'm arranging to have the four wheel drive control module of an expensive and good condition four wheel drive vehicle rebuilt at great expense by an outfit out of pen at great expense. They tell me there is only a 75% chance they can rebuild it. If they can't that vehicle is a 2 X 2 for the rest of its days.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The most serious is cars, as more an more cars are going down form board failure when they are not very old. The parts guy at the auto shop was ranting about this to me recently.
Modern cars have more and more chips than older cars had. More chips = more opportunity for failures!

In the semicondutor industry, the historical metrology was to measure failures at ppm range. In general we would target even less than 1ppm failure rates.

Now, with modern cars having so many chips, ppm range failure rate isn't acceptable any more! Car manufacturers now count failures as each individual event and want ZERO failures, period.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Thanks for any help,

Tom
If this is a music-centric system, then perhaps you don't even need HDMI on the AVR? Run HDMI directly to the TV, then send audio to the AVR with a different connection?

Just a suggestion as a (free) workaround.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But a brand new Denon X3200 for $599 (MSRP $1,000) and use it as a Pre-Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3200W-7-2-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B011HNXIAM/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1475780820&sr=1-3&keywords=denon+receiver

Or brand new Denon X4200 for $799 (MRSP $1,500) and use it as a Pre-Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX4200W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B012J1DSOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475781322&sr=8-1&keywords=Denon+4200

Both will sound as good as any AVR, pre-pro, or analog preamp out there for music IMO.

Has AirPlay and all that.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
All the advise is good here, I would also look at Anthem www.athemav.com. They cost more, but my dealer could probably get you a MRX-710 just within your budget, or the MRX-510 I have and am also a fan of Marantz.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
All the advise is good here, I would also look at Anthem www.athemav.com. They cost more, but my dealer could probably get you a MRX-710 just within your budget, or the 510 I have am also a fan of Marantz.
You know what makes me nervous on the Anthem is that these are likely low volume production AVRs. I tend to agree with TLS that low-production units tend to have more problems.

On the other hand, the Anthem dealer network will likely take care of you if problems do arise.

I do really like the aesthetics on the Anthem AVRs though.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
You know what makes me nervous on the Anthem is that these are likely low volume production AVRs. I tend to agree with TLS that low-production units tend to have more problems.

On the other hand, the Anthem dealer network will likely take care of you if problems do arise.

I do really like the aesthetics on the Anthem AVRs though.
Good point, I can only speak with my experience with Anthem, an it was trouble free. I am not sure of reliability ratings. I will say I would much rather spend my 2k with a reputable dealer who I know will handle my problems for me, vs buying at a best buy type store.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the all the help!!!!

Pioneer said the SC-57 is out of warranty. I took it to one of their accredited repair shops and that shop said the HDMI card would be at least $350 + labor IF the part was even available.... which they didn't think it would be.

If I ran HDMI straight from my Apple TV, Cable, Oppo Blue Ray, etc. How would I get sound to amp for sound?

So now that I'm looking at specifically a Preamp/Processor, are there any features that you all recommend are a minimum I look for?

Thanks again!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Thanks for any help,

Tom
Sky's are the limit for you. I would check Ebay to get a receiver to use as a pre-pro. Do to unmitigated consumerism and the desire to keep up with the Joneses, people sell mighty fine equipment in exchange of what they perceive as the latest and greatest, from A/V receivers to cellphones.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
Pulled the trigger on a Marantz AV7703.

Is the Pioneer SC-57 with a broken HDMI card worth anything? If I removed the HDMI card would the audio portion still work?

Thanks for the advice!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Pulled the trigger on a Marantz AV7703.

Is the Pioneer SC-57 with a broken HDMI card worth anything? If I removed the HDMI card would the audio portion still work?

Thanks for the advice!
It's worth nothing.

If you pull the HDMI board I have no idea if the analog section would work or not. In the old days the answer would be yes, likely. In this day and age with everything software driven, with self checks the answer is likely no, but I'm far from certain of that. If you have time on your hands you can try it and see.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I ran HDMI straight from my Apple TV, Cable, Oppo Blue Ray, etc. How would I get sound to amp for sound?

So now that I'm looking at specifically a Preamp/Processor, are there any features that you all recommend are a minimum I look for?

Thanks again!
For Cable and Oppo BDP just use the optical or coax outputs but for Apple you are out of luck. Seems to me the $799 Denon X4200W ADTG (link in post#7) suggested is a good option. I bet it has all the features you need and some that you probably will never use. You can't get an equivalent Marnatz (feature wise) prepro for that price, not even close.

83benz240

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your help guys. Ended up with a decently discounted Marantz AV7702.

One issue I'm having is while using airplay the volume is limited at 74.5. I searched and saw another user had the same issue a few years ago but I didn't see any solutions.

Anyone know how to remove this volume limit while using airplay?

I checked the Marantz and iPhone for volume limiters but both were off......

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I have had good luck with Anthems, but I'm only one case. Bryston is another Canadian company with low volume production, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their amps given their reliability and unheard of warranty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis