2.1 System for Music

A

Astriguy12s

Audiophyte
I'm revamping my system a bit and looking for advise.

Recently moved into a new place and currently looking for to revise my 2 channel music setup in our Living Room. This will be music only.

Currently have a Peachtree 220 amp, Yamaha WXC-50 running preamp duties, all tied into a couple of older Monitor Audio Bronze B4 towers. The MA's have always sounded quite "veiled" to my ears so I'm looking for change and move these to the bedroom.

My room is 14 feet wide, 20 feet long, with about 11 foot ceilings. Listening distance from couch to speakers is about 8-9 feet. Photo attached.

Budget at about $3,000 for speakers, and perhaps a sub. I've thought of just going towers only running full range but keep coming back to introducing a sub with some EQ in the mix. EQ in the form of miniDSP 2x4HD w/ REW is my best guess right now. Being the main entry into the home, acoustic treatments won't be an option. But draperies and wall hangings will be going up soon so that could at least help a little.

Would running the this setup work...

Preamp ---> minidsp 2x4HD which then splits to feed the amp and then to the sub. I think I would be able to get a full room EQ with this and blend the sub in nicely.

For speakers and sub, I'm torn. The Living Room is the main entry into our home so I've thought of going with something like the Salk Songtowers (regular version), then with a ~$600 small SVS sub or something plus miniDSP I'd be coming in around budget. But the Songtowers would be quite imposing, and when EQ'ing with a sub is a tower really necessary over a bookshelf? Could also do a bookshelf like the Ascend Sierra 2 with RAAL plus sub and save a little money there. And is the EQ worth it without a sub at all in 2 channel?

IMG_6012.JPG

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
That looks like a great place to relax with some good music, you'll find good advice here on Audioholics.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
For speakers and sub, I'm torn. The Living Room is the main entry into our home so I've thought of going with something like the Salk Songtowers (regular version), then with a ~$600 small SVS sub or something plus miniDSP I'd be coming in around budget. But the Songtowers would be quite imposing, and when EQ'ing with a sub is a tower really necessary over a bookshelf? Could also do a bookshelf like the Ascend Sierra 2 with RAAL plus sub and save a little money there. And is the EQ worth it without a sub at all in 2 channel?
With your budget, you could also do the Sierra Towers with RAAL, which I have heard compete well or better the Monitor Audio Gold series.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
That's a nice area for music and yes acoustics may pose a little challenging, I would also consider SVS Ultra Towers with dual subs, PB 2000, HSU VTF-3 MK5 both ported if you can extend your budget, haven't had the opportunity yet to hear Rythmik and they're highly praised here, embrace the information, knowledge given here from the supporting cast in this forum because they truly care, more support is on the way, hold on...Cheers;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For music only, I would advise you to hold off buying a sub until you try out the towers. With the kind of bass the Phil3, SVS Ultra, or even Phil BMR, I don't believe it is worth the cost and trouble of properly integrating good quality subs.
It depends on the type of music you listen to and your personal preferences.
But, whether you do or not, it is wise to set up your mains and get used to them then get a sub to test out and see if you prefer it or not. You are not going to feel any major bass deficit with the speakers being listed 4 traditional music.

A

Astriguy12s

Audiophyte
Thanks all. I've gone ahead and decided to order the Ascend Sierra Towers w/ RAAL. Should be here in a few days. I'll run them a while without a sub, and if I find I desire a bit more lower end then I'll cross that road in the future.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks all. I've gone ahead and decided to order the Ascend Sierra Towers w/ RAAL. Should be here in a few days. I'll run them a while without a sub, and if I find I desire a bit more lower end then I'll cross that road in the future.
Very nice! Congrats on the purchase. I know that the choice is not always an easy one. Please be sure to let us all know what your initial impressions are. Also, we love pics! BTW, did I mention pics......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis