Need suggestions...Center channel to match KEF Q55

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
This suggestion is to assist my son, who's in the process of building his bedroom system. He's using my Pioneer VSX-522-K mated to a very nice pair of KEF Q55 speakers he picked up today. We're in the process of fine tuning everything. At the moment, he's using a Polk Audio RM101 that I had and wasn't using, as a center channel speaker. It's better than the crap speaker that came with the cheapo home theater system he bought two years ago. The sound isn't bad at all, but not as tonally matched as what I have in my living room.

What center channel speaker out there is better matched to the Q55?

He and I will address the rear channel speakers at a later date. He grabbed a pair of car speakers I had in a box in the basement, and is using that for now. Not the best arrangement, I know...but it's what he can do for now.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
This suggestion is to assist my son, who's in the process of building his bedroom system. He's using my Pioneer VSX-522-K mated to a very nice pair of KEF Q55 speakers he picked up today. We're in the process of fine tuning everything. At the moment, he's using a Polk Audio RM101 that I had and wasn't using, as a center channel speaker. It's better than the crap speaker that came with the cheapo home theater system he bought two years ago. The sound isn't bad at all, but not as tonally matched as what I have in my living room.

What center channel speaker out there is better matched to the Q55?

He and I will address the rear channel speakers at a later date. He grabbed a pair of car speakers I had in a box in the basement, and is using that for now. Not the best arrangement, I know...but it's what he can do for now.
Would a Q200C or Q600C be within his budget? If not, then you could try one of Dennis Murphy's Affordable Accuracy center channels. I believe he sells them for $120 + shipping? See this page for contact details. He doesn't have the center channel on his website, but on-axis response should be reasonably similar to the AA monitors, which is to say, flat. Which is to say, having a neutral character. He starts with an Andrew Jones designed Pioneer center (the SP-C22), then upgrades the tweeter and crossover.

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
Would a Q200C or Q600C be within his budget? If not, then you could try one of Dennis Murphy's Affordable Accuracy center channels. I believe he sells them for $120 + shipping? See this page for contact details. He doesn't have the center channel on his website, but on-axis response should be reasonably similar to the AA monitors, which is to say, flat. Which is to say, having a neutral character. He starts with an Andrew Jones designed Pioneer center (the SP-C22), then upgrades the tweeter and crossover.
I wish for him that those were in his budget, but they aren't. He found the Q55 speakers for sale on Craigslist for $125, which I thought was a bit high, until I heard them...they are outstanding speakers, IMHO. I may look into the Dennis Murphy option. The pricing you stated seems much more within his reach. He's 17, building his system, and trying to save for a truck...all while working a full time job and completing his Senior year of High School online, and holding a 4.0 GPA while doing so.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Good for him! Online education takes a lot of self-discipline. That he's committed enough to achieve a 4.0 is impressive. Yeah, drop Dennis a line and see what he recommends.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis