Time to replace the AVR?

J

Jaybeez

Junior Audioholic
I've been using my Denon AVR 1602 for 12+ years. It has been dependable, and though lacking in the latest bells and whistles, is fit for purpose.

I mostly use it in lieu of the crappy speakers on my Samsung TV, but put it through it's paces during BluRay viewing sessions.

Tonight, whilst watching The Bourne Identity with my son, the receiver shut itself off 4 - 5 times. Typically it was at louder portions, but I've had volume louder in the past, and never experienced this.

We felt it was some sort of "volume overload" and would turn back on at lower volume, then crank it a bit when the action transitioned to quieter portions (like dialogue).

Would really like to hold on to this unit, but was wondering if this is a common issue and what if anything can be done about it.

All thoughts / opinions appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They can and eventually will start to go south, sometimes sooner than later. You might try a check of all wiring/connections and maybe at least do a soft reset (unplug it for a while) or maybe even a microprocessor reset before giving up on it. Is it getting good ventilation? Nothing stacked on it or in a confined space?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I've been using my Denon AVR 1602 for 12+ years.
When was the last time you cleaned it... inside? Dust can cake on components making them run hot. Remove cover if possible... blow w/ compressed air. Clean what you can, including the fan grates.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've been using my Denon AVR 1602 for 12+ years. It has been dependable, and though lacking in the latest bells and whistles, is fit for purpose.

I mostly use it in lieu of the crappy speakers on my Samsung TV, but put it through it's paces during BluRay viewing sessions.

Tonight, whilst watching The Bourne Identity with my son, the receiver shut itself off 4 - 5 times. Typically it was at louder portions, but I've had volume louder in the past, and never experienced this.

We felt it was some sort of "volume overload" and would turn back on at lower volume, then crank it a bit when the action transitioned to quieter portions (like dialogue).

Would really like to hold on to this unit, but was wondering if this is a common issue and what if anything can be done about it.

That unit is right at the end, and actually a little beyond its expected lifespan.

All thoughts / opinions appreciated.

J

Jaybeez

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the tips. Unit sits on it's own shelf in our TV stand/AV rack and is open in back with about 2 inches of clearance on top. I will double check all wiring and clean inside (which I've never done).
I have the sub pretty close to the unit. Wondering if that might have an impact?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see sub proximity being an issue. That doesn't sound like great ventilation, especially with the newer avrs (hdmi boards and bigger processers run on the warm side and many ask for 10-12 inches of clearance above the unit now, check the manual for guidelines).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Be very thorough checking your speaker cables. Aside from loose strands at the terminals, a sharp kink in the wiring is the most obvious issue (where it was pinched and distorted); however my brother had a bad wire where his cat had stuck a claw through the cable (at least, that is the best explanation we could figure). He went through 2 AVR's before he found that!
It wasn't a bad short, the new AVR worked fine and he thought the AVR had just gone bad until he had one of his wild parties and they cranked it hard. Ultimately over time, he wore out AVRs so they would trip sooner and sooner.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That unit is right at the end, and actually a little beyond its expected lifespan.
What is the expected lifespan of an AVR? Is this in general, or do you have specific data for brands, etc?

S

ScottAllenLogan

Audioholic Intern
That's a pretty open ended question with so many variables that there is really no one way to answer it. Solid state electronics don't like heat and heat is the most common culprit towards demise. If you maintain good airflow and avoid running up excessive heat by failing to remove hair and lint buildup or keeping your unit in a confined space that doesn't allow for ventilation, then the answer really is without an expiration date. If any of those variables are compromised, and you can also throw in shorts, spikes, and general mishandling, then it could be a very quick and early death. As far as "useful lifespan" goes, you have to factor in functions and adaptability to current standards. This is one reason that basic pure one or two channel amplifiers really never go out of style, especially if they are made with robust components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis