Need suggestions...Phono Stage

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
Good morning, everybody. I have recently picked up a used Technics SL-1200 for the low price of $10 at an estate sale. It's in good shape, with the exception of a broken hinge clip on the lid. It appears to be a newer cartridge, and sounds great, when hooked up to my JVC RX-517VTN...however, that receiver isn't in the room where I want to listen to my records. My Pioneer VSX-822-K didnt' come with a Phono input, so I need a phono stage.

Here's where things are a bit awkward. I'm on a very fixed and limited income now that I'm disabled from an accident with a drunk driver. I'm seeing many in the sup $50 range on sites like Amazon and Ebay that look doable, and others with tubes that are truly out of my price range. I am somewhat physically unable to go around to stereo shops to listen to what they have to offer, and making an online purchase of something, well...I can really afford to buy something that doesn't work.

Can someone suggest a somewhat decent phono stage in the sub-sub $50 range that would do a decent enough job?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good morning, everybody. I have recently picked up a used Technics SL-1200 for the low price of $10 at an estate sale. It's in good shape, with the exception of a broken hinge clip on the lid. It appears to be a newer cartridge, and sounds great, when hooked up to my JVC RX-517VTN...however, that receiver isn't in the room where I want to listen to my records. My Pioneer VSX-822-K didnt' come with a Phono input, so I need a phono stage.

Here's where things are a bit awkward. I'm on a very fixed and limited income now that I'm disabled from an accident with a drunk driver. I'm seeing many in the sup $50 range on sites like Amazon and Ebay that look doable, and others with tubes that are truly out of my price range. I am somewhat physically unable to go around to stereo shops to listen to what they have to offer, and making an online purchase of something, well...I can really afford to buy something that doesn't work.

Can someone suggest a somewhat decent phono stage in the sub-sub $50 range that would do a decent enough job?
The good news is that you do not need to spend a fortune on a phono preamp. The bad news is that it will be a little over $50.

This one will be fine.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
+1 on TLS's recommendation. Try needledoctor.com to get an idea of the various phono preamps out there. The Project is listed there but it's $20 more exexpensive than what TLS found.

jplinville

jplinville

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for the help. I now know what I need to save up for. Back in the day, I used to be able to drop $400-$600 on equipment without a second thought...not anymore.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis