Thoughts on upgrading Yamaha receiver? With pic

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast
Not sure where to post this, so guess I'll try here. Been using a Yamaha DSP-A3090 receiver for a few years now. Awesome piece of equipment, but I'm ready to upgrade to something that has hdmi capabilities.

Trying to stick with a Yamaha powerhouse, but looking for a model that is older (putting my last kid thru college right now, so watching the funds!!!) but also has hdmi inputs. Been looking at the RX-Z7, but they are few and far between and probably more than I wanted to spend, anyway.

Which model should I be looking at? Oh, here's a pic of my trusty old 3090 and my Yamaha M-80 amp. I run small cooling fans that help pull the heat out of the top of the units......never had a problem with my amps. Thank you for your time.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

RX-3900 maybe?

The thing to keep in mind with HDMI is that there are different versions of it. So if some of your components are recent they might not “play well” with an older receiver.

I had a DSP-A3090 for many years, loved it. The only reason I "traded up" was to get component video capability (I'm not a fan of HDMI). I'm currently using the old RX-Z9 in my main system and a RX-2500 in my bedroom.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast
Thank u for the reply. The problem I am running into is getting the audio out of my new Sony BDP-S6700 bluray player into my DSP-A3090. There r no red/white (left/right) outputs on the Sony.

I tried hooking up the digital out coax from the bluray player to a digital to analog audio converter box and then into my 3090.......all i get is hiss. :/

Guess i can keep using my PS3 until i get this sorted out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your PS3 is a worthy bluray player, what I use in my main setup.

What happened when you connected the digital out on your bluray player to the coax input on your DSP1090? Why did you need a converter box?

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast
Your PS3 is a worthy bluray player, what I use in my main setup.

What happened when you connected the digital out on your bluray player to the coax input on your DSP1090? Why did you need a converter box?
I tried doing that. No sound at all.

I have been happy with the PS3 (have 3 of them, all fat models), but I go the new blu ray player free thru Sony Rewards.

Anyway, might start looking seriously on finding a receiver that has hdmi inputs. Maybe then I cld figure out how to get sound out of my system!! lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you go through settings in the receiver to make sure the coax input was the assigned input? What were the audio output settings on the bluray player? I have the PS3 slim which does have some more capability with lossless codecs IIRC but that shouldn't matter if you are limited to a coax or optical output.

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast
Did you go through settings in the receiver to make sure the coax input was the assigned input? What were the audio output settings on the bluray player? I have the PS3 slim which does have some more capability with lossless codecs IIRC but that shouldn't matter if you are limited to a coax or optical output.
Even tho I have the factory manual for the Yamaha, not sure if I have it set up right. lol It says it should be "automatic" how it is suppose to work.

I'll check the output on the bluray player. Just assumed the output wld be automatic as well. ^_^

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast
Ha, u figured it out for me!!! I had to walk away from it for a bit (went and mowed Mom's yard), but when I came back I went into the bluray players menu like u suggested and changed the audio output from "auto" to "pcm".

And the rest is history!!! Sounds really good and all 12 speakers seem to be getting the correct info. I have my Yamaha M-80 amp running 6 speakers, seperate amps running the 2 center channel speakers and rear speakers, and the processor runs the 2 small front effect speakers. 3 subwoofers and 2 bass shakers mounted in the sofa. Really sounds nice!!

Thank u so much!!!!

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast
still using an old 73" Mitsubishi......I'll upgrade once my youngest gets out of college, but for now the tv is fine. I like it.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions!!

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I came back I went into the bluray players menu like u suggested and changed the audio output from "auto" to "pcm".
I think PCM gets you stereo only, which (if that’s right) means you’re getting Dolby Pro Logic at best. If the player has a setting for “bitstream” or “5.1” or Dolby Digital, or something like that, that’s the setting you want to use for movies.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast

I think PCM gets you stereo only, which (if that’s right) means you’re getting Dolby Pro Logic at best. If the player has a setting for “bitstream” or “5.1” or Dolby Digital, or something like that, that’s the setting you want to use for movies.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I will have to get back into the menu and check that out. Thanks for the heads up!!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I see too many people on forums like these having trouble with components with different versions that won’t “talk” to each other (i.e. the “handshake” issue), receivers with fried HDMI boards, etc.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure where to post this, so guess I'll try here. Been using a Yamaha DSP-A3090 receiver for a few years now. Awesome piece of equipment, but I'm ready to upgrade to something that has hdmi capabilities.

Trying to stick with a Yamaha powerhouse, but looking for a model that is older (putting my last kid thru college right now, so watching the funds!!!) but also has hdmi inputs. Been looking at the RX-Z7, but they are few and far between and probably more than I wanted to spend, anyway.

Which model should I be looking at? Oh, here's a pic of my trusty old 3090 and my Yamaha M-80 amp. I run small cooling fans that help pull the heat out of the top of the units......never had a problem with my amps. Thank you for your time.

We need to know your budget, room size, and speaker make and model numbers to help you better. Something else to consider is if you want DOLBY Atmosphere capabilities. Take a look at my equipment list and you will see that I own 2 Yamahas, the RX-RX-V1800 is equipped with HDMI, the other not.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I see too many people on forums like these having trouble with components with different versions that won’t “talk” to each other (i.e. the “handshake” issue), receivers with fried HDMI boards, etc.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I've never experienced handshake issues with HDMI in my system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis