Honest facts of SONY-STR DH550 AVR

N

nivek76

Audiophyte
I love music but" I'm a novice in todays technologies. I don't consider myself ignorant only a little behind the times, always wanting to increase my knowledge on todays equipment and slowly saving here and there to expand {upgrade} my system. I've done some homework to under stand the techno brain killing graph's and number game specs on "AVR's". I bought a SONY STR DH550 AVR a while back (7 months) and it's my first home theater. I know it's the bottom line AVR in it's class. Could anyone out there give me there honest unbiased opinion of facts you could share with me so I can better understand what I have experienced since owning it. I'm using POLK RTI A1 bookshelf for fronts, FLUANCE signature series center, FLUANCE XL7S bookshelf for rears and a MARTIN LOGAN dynamo 300 subwoofer. Also" ONKYO C-7030 CD player, with NOBSOUND EL-34 single ended tube amp that I switch between AVR and this ! and also a NOBSOUND "BREEZE" E-200 pure single ended headphone tube amp. and my trusty little Fiio X3 MP3 ankered on a custom wood and plexi-glass dock I built with RBG illuminating it ""pretty awesome"" THANK YOU for any thoughts you could share....nivek76

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might help to explain just what you have experienced with this system....how the heck would we know? A little more information about room/setup might help as well....

Why the surround speakers but apparently no multi-ch source or video?

N

nivek76

Audiophyte
Might help to explain just what you have experienced with this system....how the heck would we know? A little more information about room/setup might help as well....

I apologize for the confusion

I apologize for the confusion of my question ! I just want to know if anyone else owns the SONY-STR DH550 and what they think about it as a AVR and if there is any critical reviews PRO'S or CON'S about it. After I purchased it, I read things like they over heat and literally explode in some cases ? I added my set up just to give you an I idea of what I have hooked up to it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I don't have the 550 altho I do have an old 6.1 DE597 in my workshop (it got demoted due to no hdmi, use an Onkyo in my bedroom and a Denon in my living room). Sony doesn't get a lot of love in avr land these days in general, but I've found my unit basic and reliable and inexpensive...the reasons I bought it originally. Doesn't have much in the way of dsp/room eq type stuff and limited setup parameters, but it works fine. The audio quality is fine altho I do prefer my units that have more amp channels, hdmi and provide Audyssey room eq/auto setup functions.

Don't know about reliability issues reported, I don't remember reading any particularly, but keep in mind people come to the audio forums to complain more than praise and bad news always spreads faster to boot. If you like your setup that's what counts.

So no video or multi-ch content or? I don't see any added setup....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis