Can't get sub to activate in stereo music

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I have an Pioneer Elite SC 27 AVR and I am playing music from my iMac to it. The computer is plugged in VIA optical cable.

All of my speakers are set to small with the crossover at 80.
The subwoofer works fine with movies but not when I play music off of my computer.

Any idea on how I can get the sub to work during stereo music playback?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What audio format do you have it set to when listening via the mac? Try "forcing" it to stereo rather than some other format, though even then it may not use the sub as stereo technically does not. If that doesn't work, try another audio format that does matrix processing (PLIIz, DTS:NEO, etc...)

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
What audio format do you have it set to when listening via the mac? Try "forcing" it to stereo rather than some other format, though even then it may not use the sub as stereo technically does not. If that doesn't work, try another audio format that does matrix processing (PLIIz, DTS:NEO, etc...)
Hmmm I forced the AVR to stereo and the sub now works but not sure if it is better... I had it in Pure Direct and no sub was kicking in.

Yup.... Pure Direct sounds best... just checked a few times. I guess the music sounds better without the sub.

Last edited:
cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
On many receivers I have seen, Pure Direct option often avoids all digital processing on an analog signal. If that is the case, the receiver cannot apply a crossover since that is done digitally.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have an Pioneer Elite SC 27 AVR and I am playing music from my iMac to it. The computer is plugged in VIA optical cable.

All of my speakers are set to small with the crossover at 80.
The subwoofer works fine with movies but not when I play music off of my computer.

Any idea on how I can get the sub to work during stereo music playback?
My Pio Elite VSX82--
Pure Direct is just that--no processing, no sub channel
Direct--activates the sub channel, but no other processing
Stereo--Activates the sub and activates all other processing

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
My Pio Elite VSX82--
Pure Direct is just that--no processing, no sub channel
Direct--activates the sub channel, but no other processing
Stereo--Activates the sub and activates all other processing
The Pure Direct is better than the Direct with the sub kicked in.... The stereo is not very good.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Pure Direct is better than the Direct with the sub kicked in.... The stereo is not very good.
It should be the same. Maybe your sub isn't dialed in correctly? If it is running way above 80 Hz, that could mess up the imaging.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I use Direct Mode for music.

GE T2 towers with Rythmik F15HP Sub.

It kicks arse!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I had it in Pure Direct and no sub was kicking in.
Your manual says:

DIRECT – Sources are heard according to the settings made in the Surround Setup (speaker setting, channel level, speaker distance, acoustic calibration EQ, and X-curve), as well as with dual mono, the input attenuator, and any sound delay and hi-bit/hi-sampling (SC-25 only) settings. You will hear sources according to the number of channels in the signal.

PURE DIRECT – Analog sources are heard without any digital processing.

To me, this is pretty clear PURE DIRECT won't use your subs.

Even DIRECT won't use the subs unless there is a .1 LFE signal present, (which means not in music). But I'm not sure what they mean by "speaker setting" or "acoustic calibration EQ). Best to look at your panel display and see if the sub is turned on.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Your manual says:

DIRECT – Sources are heard according to the settings made in the Surround Setup (speaker setting, channel level, speaker distance, acoustic calibration EQ, and X-curve), as well as with dual mono, the input attenuator, and any sound delay and hi-bit/hi-sampling (SC-25 only) settings. You will hear sources according to the number of channels in the signal.

PURE DIRECT – Analog sources are heard without any digital processing.

To me, this is pretty clear PURE DIRECT won't use your subs.

Even DIRECT won't use the subs unless there is a .1 LFE signal present, (which means not in music). But I'm not sure what they mean by "speaker setting" or "acoustic calibration EQ). Best to look at your panel display and see if the sub is turned on.
Well, like I said my older Pio Elite kicks on the sub when I use Direct (or stereo) but not when I use Pure Direct. So, maybe the sub is tied up in that "speaker setting" statement?

Or just they have made a change in his newer model.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Seems so. Surprisingly, the manual could be more clear. ;)
LOL!

Yeah, I will mention that the older Pio Elites are notorious for being a bit difficult to configure and a bit lacking in the manual. I guess not exactly difficult, but not exactly user friendly or intuitive either.

I've had mine for almost 10 years so I'm good with it, but there are a few little settings and quirks that were quite difficult for the first year or so.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
It should be the same. Maybe your sub isn't dialed in correctly? If it is running way above 80 Hz, that could mess up the imaging.
Maybe my woofers on the Totem Forest towers are better than the old PSB subsonic 5i.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For deep bass frequencies, I would be surprised of the Totem woofers would be better than the PSB sub. Imaging shouldn't be affected much by subwoofer frequencies anyway. If it is, than it is either not being low-passed sufficiently, or it is out of phase with the speakers can causing some cancellations in mid bass frequencies. Either case would be a matter of calibration.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've been properly shocked by how low yet loud the bass can be coming from Totem floorstanding speakers. Placed properly, they're really pretty amazing. I still can't figure out how those tiny Arro speakers with a 4-1/2" driver can put out more than most stand mount speakers sporting a 6-1/2" driver. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis