Marantz AV8802A and HDR-10 Pass Through

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I traded in my old Xbox One for the One S
  • I am glad I did, it fixed a few issues I was having with my system
  • My xbox 1 would Turn on Zone 2 and Main every time I turned it on, never could figure out why (Xbox One S solved this problem)
  • Started Playing Red Dead, since I had it and never played on my 360 days. It ran laggy on my One (Xbox One S smooth as silk)
  • Everything is upscaled to 4k
Here lies the problem, both my Sony XBR TV and Projector are 4k HD10 Complaint:
Marantz AV8802A is currently not able to pass the HDR10 Signal to my TV

I tested this on both TV and Projector and found it to be the issue when I ran the tests on my Xbox One S
  • I contacted Marantz Technical Support on this issue, it is fully HDMI 2.0a and HDR 4:4:4 Compatable
  • They said they are aware of the issue, and while they have no problems with 8bit HDR Signal, it does not currently pass that HDR10 signal through
  • I asked if this was hardware or software: They stated it is a software issue and they are addressing it
Bottom line, I hope this helps someone who may have been experiencing the same issues and saves the the time to troubleshoot.

Being an early adopter may turn out to bite me in the ass if they turn around and claim its a Hardware issue on a very expensive piece of equipment to replace, we shall see. On the bright side probably less than 1% of the audio community used 4k

Last edited:
B-Root

B-Root

Audiophyte
That is good to know. I was considering upgrading to the AV8802A for my own setup but I'm torn between it & the Anthem AVM 60. I have read pretty much every forum post I could find on the matter but hey, the more info the better. Maybe I could pick your brain?

Have you experienced any other issues with your Marantz?

Do you feel that the video upscaling was worth the extra $1,000 over the AVM 60?

Do you have any experience with the AVM 60 in comparison to the AV8802A?

I am currently running a Marantz AV7702, Emo XPA 2, Emo XPA 5, Klipsch RF-7II 5.2 speakers. I'm planning to switch a 7.2.4 system when my theater is done and to the Parasound A51 for my amp for the 5 channels and as stated earlier am still contemplating pre-pro.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Agh. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I'll also need an HDR10-compatible processor and the AV8802a was basically my intended choice for its audio quality. An HDMI splitter may be the necessary solution.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
That is good to know. I was considering upgrading to the AV8802A for my own setup but I'm torn between it & the Anthem AVM 60. I have read pretty much every forum post I could find on the matter but hey, the more info the better. Maybe I could pick your brain?

Have you experienced any other issues with your Marantz?

Do you feel that the video upscaling was worth the extra $1,000 over the AVM 60?

Do you have any experience with the AVM 60 in comparison to the AV8802A?

I am currently running a Marantz AV7702, Emo XPA 2, Emo XPA 5, Klipsch RF-7II 5.2 speakers. I'm planning to switch a 7.2.4 system when my theater is done and to the Parasound A51 for my amp for the 5 channels and as stated earlier am still contemplating pre-pro.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Apparently Marantz is working on a fix, so I will wait and see. I have always liked Anthem Gear as I have had the AVM 30 etc. The ARC room correction is supposed to be excellent, though I am curious how they drove the cost down so much from the AVM50. I do know they lost the video processing, upscale etc, but the rest of the components should be solid. There are quite a few comparisons on the AVSForum to look at.

I don't know how the AVM60 handles HDR-10 4k content, but if I were you I would wait a little longer and possibly some receivers will also support Dolby Vision 4k HDR. Not sure which is going to win the war, but it would be good to cover both bases.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I don't know how the AVM60 handles HDR-10 4k content, but if I were you I would wait a little longer and possibly some receivers will also support Dolby Vision 4k HDR. Not sure which is going to win the war, but it would be good to cover both bases.
I think HDR10 is going to be more available, because there are a number of existing displays that will only do HDR10. So releasing any content that only uses Dolby Vision HDR would be kind of silly.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Cos, have you done a firmware update? A Marantz rep on Facebook said the latest AV8802A firmware should support HDR10. Looks like the latest AV8802A firmware was released a month or two ago.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Me: So the latest firmware for the AV8802A will support HDR10?
Me: I just want to make sure before I purchase the AV8802A.

Marantz: Yes, you can get full 4k HDR with the AV8802A, just make sure it's the "A" version.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Me: So the latest firmware for the AV8802A will support HDR10?
Me: I just want to make sure before I purchase the AV8802A.

Marantz: Yes, you can get full 4k HDR with the AV8802A, just make sure it's the "A" version.
Sorry for the delayed response, I had the most current firmware when I made this post, I don't believe there has one since. My comments specifically related to the HRD 10 standard

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
As an update: I have the Marantz AV8802A now and it passes HDR10.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I will have to check and see if there is a firmare update, it wasn't working with my xbox one.

F

fizban11

Audiophyte
Ran into a problem last night with the new Roku Ultra running through the AV8802A to my Samsung UN65JS9500 - I get an error message that "your TV reports it does not support HDR."

That's bogus. The TV does support HDR10. I thought it had to do with the Marantz AV8802A and stumbled across this posting. I also contacted Marantz tech support and will let you know what they say to me. I have the latest firmware for both the AV8802A and the TV.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Ran into a problem last night with the new Roku Ultra running through the AV8802A to my Samsung UN65JS9500 - I get an error message that "your TV reports it does not support HDR."

That's bogus. The TV does support HDR10. I thought it had to do with the Marantz AV8802A and stumbled across this posting. I also contacted Marantz tech support and will let you know what they say to me. I have the latest firmware for both the AV8802A and the TV.
Yup, let us know.

In the meantime, try to hook the Roku Ultra directly to the TV. If the problem persists then the problem can't be the Marantz

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I will have to check and see if there is a firmare update, it wasn't working with my xbox one.
I'm also using an Xbox One S right now. Your display has to support 18Gbps for the Xbox One S to do HDR. Which means all green checkmarks in the Advanced TV check screen on the Xbox One S. If your display is only 10Gbps and does not support 4Kp60 10-bit video then the Xbox One S will only do Rec.709 SDR, from what I've experienced.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have the XBR 850C which is HDR-10 18GBS, I also use a monoprice 18Gb/s HDMI cable, so unless I am missing something, not sure why it doesnt work

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Did you make sure to set HDMI UHD Color to ON in the UN65JS9500 settings and use the HDCP 2.2 HDMI input? It may also depend on what the Roku Ultra wants to detect. That display doesn't support 4Kp60 4:4:4, only 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. The manual indicates it should support an HDR10 signal, specifically referencing 10-bit video signals, however I'm not sure if the display actually meets the HDR10 requirements.

I have the XBR 850C which is HDR-10 18GBS, I also use a monoprice 18Gb/s HDMI cable, so unless I am missing something, not sure why it doesnt work
The 850C manual indicates 4Kp60 YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit only which means the Xbox One S will not give it green checkmarks for HDR. This is only indicated for 4Kp60 though, so 4Kp24 YCbCr 4:2:0 10-bit might work, in which case I think it would work with a different player, like the Philips BDP7501, when you insert a 4K Blu-ray disc. And also, as a 2015 display I'm not sure it will actually meet HDR10 specs even if it accepts a 10-bit signal.

F

fizban11

Audiophyte
OK, received an almost incoherent response from a Marantz tech. I may have to call them.

"Keep in mind there are issues with HDR on the TVs and our units. If the TVs HDR/UHD Deep color settings are enabled, it changes the TV's EDID information assuming its something different. Can you try with disabling those TV settings."

I then stated to them that disabling the UHD mode on the TV defeats the purpose of trying to get HDR to work on the TV, so I asked them to elaborate.

"We noticed when the deep color settings are enabled it adds addtional information to the TVs EDID when its broadcast compared to its original EDID. This lies in the TV. But I have no information of firmware updates or resolution as of right now. You may want to try the front AUX HDMI port."

Anyone want to try and decipher this? They are blaming the AV8802a not being able to get HDR10 to pass through on the EDID of the TV?

I can confirm that bypassing the AV8802A and connecting the same 35ft out to the TV allowed for the 4k UHD HDR setting on the Roku Ultra to sync with the TV. So, the fault does indeed lie with Marantz passing the signal, *Speculation* - either due to firmware or adding the extra HDMI connection (form Roku to Marantz and out from Marantz to TV) adds too much resistance.

-------------------------------------------
LVR: Samsung UN65JS9500, Marantz AV8802A / MM8077, Roku Ultra, Panasonic BDR (No 4K player till cables work), DTV HR34, XB1, B&W CM10 S2 Towers L/R, B&W CM Centre 2 S2, B&W (4x) CI 700 Series CCM7.4 (SS/SB), B&W DB1 Sub, PCH-VTEN (PLEX Client)
MBR: Samsung UN55JS9000, PIO Elite VSX-90, Roku 4, Pioneer Elite BDR, DTV C31 Client, XB1, B&W (5x) CI Series CCM816, B&W PV1D Sub, PCH-VTEN (PLEX Client)
Headphones and Control: Sony MDR-HW700DS System (Japanese Import) 2x headsets, C4 System
Home PC with PLEX Media Server

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
What cable are you using between the Roku Ultra and the AV8802A? You might need to make sure you're still using an 18Gbps HDMI cable. It does sound like your 35' cable satisfies that requirement.

The only good way I know of to debug this is with an HDFury Integral box that lets you see the EDID and video signal at various points along the signal chain.

F

fizban11

Audiophyte
I'm using a 35' cable from MyCableMart. It seems to work directly from the Roku Ultra, but again, passing it through the AV8802A causes the issue. However, running directly from the Roku Ultra would require running the cable across the floor which violates the "rule of spouse" which includes language such as: wife must never see cables. Ever. Again." So, that's that.

As far as a cable that supports 18Gbps - it's moot. 4k (UHD) 60Hz at 8-bit is 17.82 Gbps. However, HDR10 is a 10-bit UHD signal, which comes out to 21.38Gbps. So, just about any cable over 20' will fail with the introduction of more resistance. It makes me wonder if Marantz messed up. They brought out the AV8802 before the HDMI standards were set. Then they offered an HDMI board free upgrade for those and came out with the AV8802A that already had the new boards built-in. Are the boards minimum spec for HDMI 2.0 and incapable of HDMI 2.0a specs, which would include higher bandwidth requirements for HDR10? Will they offer another board upgrade program to solve the issue?

On another forum I follow, a poster said they had talked with a rep from Monoprice at CEDIA and that a third generation of active repeater chips were being tested for a target retail date of Feb 2017 that will pass the UHD 10-bit signal properly. I'm not going to worry about it and be patient to see if these cables come out as planned and if there are lengths I can use. If these work and pass the signal, then that solves the 2.0 vs 2.0a question I have. If not, I may have to go to more a more expensive fiber optic HDMI solution and see if that works. If not, then I may have to resign myself to no HDR with the AV8802A.

I bought a first generation PIONEER Dolby Pro-Logic receiver in 1988 during high school. I've seen many things come and go in the AV industry. Waiting a few more months for cable tech to catch-up won't kill me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
LVR: Samsung UN65JS9500, Marantz AV8802A / MM8077, Roku Ultra, Panasonic BDR (No 4K player till cables work), DTV HR34, XB1, B&W CM10 S2 Towers L/R, B&W CM Centre 2 S2, B&W (4x) CI 700 Series CCM7.4 (SS/SB), B&W DB1 Sub, PCH-VTEN (PLEX Client)
MBR: Samsung UN55JS9000, PIO Elite VSX-90, Roku 4, Pioneer Elite BDR, DTV C31 Client, XB1, B&W (5x) CI Series CCM816, B&W PV1D Sub, PCH-VTEN (PLEX Client)
Headphones and Control: Sony MDR-HW700DS System (Japanese Import) 2x headsets, C4 System
Home PC with PLEX Media Server

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I meant what cable are you using between the Roku Ultra and the AV8802A. You need two cables. The AV8802A is acting as a repeater/retransmitter so it shouldn't matter in terms of total length as long as the two cables are high-speed and individually capable.

I am passing a 4Kp60 RGB 12-bit signal from the Xbox One S through the AV8802A to my RS500 display. I am using the Microsoft-provided high-speed cable between the Xbox One S and AV8802A, and a 25' Monoprice Redmere cable between the AV8802A and RS500. The Redmere cable includes an amplification chip.

A 4Kp24 YCrCb 4:2:0 10-bit signal from a 4K Blu-ray player through the AV8802A to the RS500 also worked.

I'm unaware of a board upgrade for the AV8802A.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis