newb looking for good headphones

W

wito

Audiophyte
hi im new here and would appreciate some help of you guys
im looking for some headphones mostly for music (rock, hiphop...) and casual gaming
ive got some recommendations from my friends but they arent audioholics and have they knowledge from reviews etc.
so heres a list of models i picked:
Sennheiser HD598 (but im not sure if they have the punch in bass)
Sennheiser RS185 (not sure about the mid-range and wireless quality)
Beyerdynamic DT770 (not quite sure in the versions and hell they are ugly :D )

what do you guys think about these? or would you recommend something else?
also thinking to add Audioengine D1 to them or something similar

W

wito

Audiophyte
nah im totally getting those Beyerdynamic DT770 or 990 250ohm
but im not sure what amp to use on those
are there some budget friendly ones?

W

wito

Audiophyte
yeah just ordered those DT990 250ohm
but with the amp theres a bit of a problem cause i cant get the o2+odac or the shiit magni2 (or i could but the shipping would be crazy)
is there something else i could get iny my smal slovakian country? :)

W

wito

Audiophyte
been looking for the audioengine d1 but a friend told me that it cant handle the dt990

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
been looking for the audioengine d1 but a friend told me that it cant handle the dt990
it MIGHT not handle 600ohm, but should be fine for 250ohm version.

OKLAGMCRUISER

OKLAGMCRUISER

Audioholic Intern
I am very pleased with my Grados Presige Series SR80E that can be had for around $100.

Homer Bluth

Homer Bluth

Audiophyte
I really love my Sennheiser HD598! Insanely comfortable, sound great for their pricepoint, and their tan/brown color pattern really stands out!

J

jmalecki05

Junior Audioholic
I recommend the HD 598 for rock. They are very comfortable and are great for longer sessions (games / movies). The bass is good, but not as pronounced as Momentum.

If you are also looking for an amp, you may not need depending on the DAP. The Fiio Mont Blanc is less that 100 and has a built in bass boost and gain increase switch, which both work wonderfully. If you are gong for the HD 600, they are 300 ohm (vs. 50) and would benefit much more from an amp.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
nah im totally getting those Beyerdynamic DT770 or 990 250ohm
but im not sure what amp to use on those
are there some budget friendly ones?
No need for an amp. My iPhone 5s can easily drive my Beyer DT 880 - and these are 600 ohm cans.
Sennheiser HD 650 or 600 do not need an amp either, unless you want to go deaf - in which case there are cheaper solutions.
Spend your money on headphones not amp/dac - 100$ more invested in headphones makes a bigger difference than 500$ spent on an headphone amp / dac.
The iPhone and most 100$ computer sound cards are very good, beyond the point where you hear distortion - don't buy in all the audiophile BS; THD 0.05 (100$ sound card) vs 0.00017 (like the mojo I have) - no audible difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis