Room Correction for Ceiling Mounted Speakers

K

Kong Trang

Audiophyte
I've been messing with REW and have read a lot of articles on room corrections for a standard 5.1 home theater setup. Unfortunately, my setup is 5.1 using ceiling speakers. I have a project also. Now, this is great for my small-open living room, but makes it difficult to do any research on this.

I'm wondering if I can get advice on how I can go about correcting some of the frequency issues I'm having. Where do the typical absorbers/diffusers go in this setup?

As a side note, I'm also wondering if I can use this 5.1 ceiling setup for the object oriented Atmos encoding or if I would have to add a front LCR setup too.

Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've been messing with REW and have read a lot of articles on room corrections for a standard 5.1 home theater setup. Unfortunately, my setup is 5.1 using ceiling speakers. I have a project also. Now, this is great for my small-open living room, but makes it difficult to do any research on this.

I'm wondering if I can get advice on how I can go about correcting some of the frequency issues I'm having. Where do the typical absorbers/diffusers go in this setup?

As a side note, I'm also wondering if I can use this 5.1 ceiling setup for the object oriented Atmos encoding or if I would have to add a front LCR setup too.

Thanks.
Ceiling speakers are crude appliances and not acoustic works of art or high technology. You will never correct those frequency response issues and will always be awash in them.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
And yet, as an example, every LDS (Latter Day Saints) facility has surface-mounted ceiling speakers and the sound in the area that's used for services has been equalized with very good results. When the actual speaker quality is considered, they're usually Atlas and are nothing special, the results are rather impressive. While these aren't music listening rooms, music is played in them and the coverage is excellent, speech is very clear and if someone walks through the space, there's almost no major distinguishable changes from one place to another.

Sometimes, it's not possible/practical to use box speakers, set up for perfect sound. He didn't ask for an opinion on in-ceiling speakers, he asked about room correction.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis