Anyone own vintage Polk Monitors?

J

jwhisl

Audiophyte
I got a hold of a set of vintage Polk Monitor 5's this week not really knowing what to expect. ( To be completely honest I bought them because they looked so nice) I was a little disappointed to find that the 8" "woofer" is nothing more than a passive radiator but all that was forgotten when I hooked them up for the first time!

The highs were super crisp, mids were dead on and the bass response is something you might expect from a set of tens. It doesn't matter what type of music I put on them. Everything sounds good. I only wish I could run them properly as I can only give them about 15wpc right now and Polk recommended 20-125wpc. Anyone else have the pleasure of owning a pair of these gems?

Last edited:
U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
I have some 1992 RTA11TLs. I usually like them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I spent some time with the Polk Monitor 5Jr > the treble is crisp and also,
I felt the midrange was somewhat weak, plus the bass somewhat lacking.
I think, that I like them better than the current Polk Monitors. Enjoy your
speakers - and have fun.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Running them with 15w is a good way to fry drivers. I would not be playing them too hard until you get some decent power. Yes, the Polk of old was IMHO better than their offerings today.

J

jwhisl

Audiophyte
Thanks for the info. I have a Sony str-da5es that will be running them eventually as surrounds or second room speakers. I had to leave it behind with my klipsch rf62's when I moved here but I hope to be getting all that back soon :)

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
Be sure to get a receiver that is stable at low impedance's, those old polk's with the passive radiator have some really low impedance dips in the lower frequencies and are good for frying receivers.

J

jwhisl

Audiophyte
The Da5es should handle it. It's compatible with 4 ohm-8ohm. I was running the RF62'swith it at 4 ohms and it shook the walls in my apartment lol. I wasnt able to put up pictures in my living room. It has a physical switch on the back for selecting impedence. I can't post links for pictures yet

J

JeffBro

Audiophyte
Polk 5JR.jpg
Greetings fellow Polk owners, just acquired a set of 5jrs yesterday, they are my first Polk speakers. They are wired to my newly cleaned/repaired Marantz 2215b that had been sitting in my lower garage for the last 12 years, it sat somewhere else for a while before that.

I actually sold the Marantz to a local record store and they had it re-conditioned. I tried out a Pioneer 626 (wanted the "Pre-Out" output) for a while with my Titans but didn't like it. Then tried out a Marantz Legacy Series (Black) and didn't like it. I asked the record store owner if I could have first dibs on the 2215b when it came back from the shop. Yep I was stupid enough to sell it but smart enough to realize it was a mistake before it was too late. He was happy to oblige and gave me a pretty decent deal on it and a set of Monitor 5JR's, which of course are playing at this moment, why wouldn't they be?

The Marantz of course is also rated at 15w per channel, so yeah, I need to exorcise restraint as well. I can drive them at just under half volume with some media such as... Flim & The BB's "Tricycle". What sold me on the 5jr's is listening to said music, the 5jr's handled that 'snap' of the drums in a way reminiscent of the Paradigms.

I don't know if they have the Polk tweeters or the original, apparently smoother tweeters, the only info I have is as follows; Polk Monitor Series 5JR 27295. If anyone knows details about these particular Monitors I'd sure appreciate learning more about them. They have both 6.5" driver and 6.5" Passive radiator.

Now listening to the "What Do You Want From Live" - Tubes drum solo and it sounds pretty good. These speakers impress me with their ability to give music that impact that brings it alive without having to crank it up, and I quite like that. One of my kids is sleeping on the couch six feet from the speakers and remains sleeping, these Monitors are nice in that they don't keep screaming to be turned up to be heard. So far I've concluded that they sound best at levels quite friendly to anything that can push a clean and continuous 15w's per channel.

Note: I fully reserve the right to have my mind changed by hooking them up to something with more power, as we know, having "too much" power isn't really a thing. Although spending "too much" money can be a very real thing. I paid $120 and have a like new 2215b and a set of Polk Monitor 5JR's. These speaker grills are now voted 'most likely to get lost' as I love just looking at the drivers. These speakers are too good looking to cover up.

I haven't done an in-depth A-B comparison between the Titans and the 5JR's yet but I am looking forward to it. I am not sure what I think of the Titans just yet, I might have gone a little crazy adding internal bracing whilst getting the Paradigms re-foamed. They just don't have the same charm as they did from the factory, might have to make some 'replica' boxes and take a lighter approach to internal bracing. I think I might simply have introduced too much mass into the cabinet.
20160915_100950 copy.jpg

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis