Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
I have a question regarding bi wiring and before I open up a can of worms here, I don't really want to know that I shouldn,t bi wire or I should,just plainly the correct way to do so.I have the speakers for it and also the amp and double the cable already installed so I can't see why not.My amp is the Denon POA 10 ch with 20 sets of terminals A and B being 10 each.I have separated the connections at the speaker end with high and low range correctly and taken off my high and low speaker brackets which connect to each other which I know is correct for bi wiring but at the amp end I have joined the speaker cable and used up speaker A terminals on my amp which is high range leaving speaker B free which is low range.Instead of joining the cable should I seperate the ends at the amp end And instead connect both high and low range separately using up terminals A and B as that is what is shown in the manual. I have heard people saying that it doesn't matter but I can't see the point in tying them together at the amp end as then it can't be true separation off my high and low frequencies unless the two A and B terminals are used.Thoughts please thank you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a question regarding bi wiring and before I open up a can of worms here, I don't really want to know that I shouldn,t bi wire or I should,just plainly the correct way to do so.I have the speakers for it and also the amp and double the cable already installed so I can't see why not.My amp is the Denon POA 10 ch with 20 sets of terminals A and B being 10 each.I have separated the connections at the speaker end with high and low range correctly and taken off my high and low speaker brackets which connect to each other which I know is correct for bi wiring but at the amp end I have joined the speaker cable and used up speaker A terminals on my amp which is high range leaving speaker B free which is low range.Instead of joining the cable should I seperate the ends at the amp end And instead connect both high and low range separately using up terminals A and B as that is what is shown in the manual. I have heard people saying that it doesn't matter but I can't see the point in tying them together at the amp end as then it can't be true separation off my high and low frequencies unless the two A and B terminals are used.Thoughts please thank you.
You either connect the high and low wires together with the A/B switch or do it yourself at the terminals. Either way the wires are connected together as when A + B are connected it is a simple parallel connection.

So you are correct there is no separation of high and low frequencies with Bi-wiring. All it does is double your chances of having trouble in your speaker leads and blowing up an amp.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your method of connection is correct, however the signal remains the whole signal on both wires regardless of whether you connect them together at the amp or the speaker or keep them separate on A and B (whi In bi-wiring there IS NO SEPARATION of high and low; the signal has already been amplified and does not get filtered until it gets to the crossover which is exactly what happens if you just run one pair of wires.

All it does is double your chances of having trouble in your speaker leads and blowing up an amp.
All this does is nothing except use twice as much wire with zero benefit :)

Last edited:
Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Thanks so much guys.I was not sure if the signal was separated or not.Now I know it's not.If I go back to the standard way of connecting with just the single cable,(no bi wire)do I need to put the speaker brackets back on and connect to the low terminals at the speaker end.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks so much guys.I was not sure if the signal was separated or not.Now I know it's not.If I go back to the standard way of connecting with just the single cable,(no bi wire)do I need to put the speaker brackets back on and connect to the low terminals at the speaker end.
If you mean the jumpers, between low and high pass crossover sections, then yes they must be in place for a single wire connection. It does not matter after installing the jumpers if you connect to the upper or lower terminals.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
In terms of Bi -amping, in the past, Bi- amping was pretty popular. It all revolved around Speaker efficiency. Some speakers are very efficient (they don't need a lot o power to drive them). Others may eat up a lot of power. Then you need a lot of power. We used at least 3 amplifiers (if you tri-amp them). This was usually done if you wanted to power the Tweeters with one amp; use another amp for the mid's, and another for the woofers. The results were often spectacular. I remember going to CES many years ago. In the Infinity Room they d'moed a Tri-amped system. I can never forget the experience. I can still feel it. They had set up 4 of the Infinity top of the line Towers 7' Tall bwith Emitt & Eminn midranges and Woofers. The woofers were in a separate 7 ' tower with a line array of Polypropylene drivers. The Midrange array & the Tweeters were in the othwer tower sisd by side. I don't recall the brand of the amplifiers they had setup. Each were big heavy rack mounted Amps. Massive. They played one of the Star Wars Films. Very powerful Soundtrack. All I can tell you was, I, along with many others, stood there in total shock with their jaws hanging down. Since then, I have NEVER heard & felt Bass like that. The Bass hit me in the chest so hard, I thought I was being hit in the chest with a sledge hammer. Unfriggin' believable. Most of the females in the room left whan that happened. Completely of the charts. I have had a lot of systems in my times, but never have I ever experienced anything like that beore or since, including my HT with dual HSU TNN-1220's & HSU 500 watt separate Rack mounted, an cooled Sub Amp.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
In terms of Bi -amping, in the past, Bi- amping was pretty popular. It all revolved around Speaker efficiency. Some speakers are very efficient (they don't need a lot o power to drive them). Others may eat up a lot of power. Then you need a lot of power. We used at least 3 amplifiers (if you tri-amp them). This was usually done if you wanted to power the Tweeters with one amp; use another amp for the mid's, and another for the woofers. The results were often spectacular. I remember going to CES many years ago. In the Infinity Room they d'moed a Tri-amped system. I can never forget the experience. I can still feel it. They had set up 4 of the Infinity top of the line Towers 7' Tall bwith Emitt & Eminn midranges and Woofers. The woofers were in a separate 7 ' tower with a line array of Polypropylene drivers. The Midrange array & the Tweeters were in the othwer tower sisd by side. I don't recall the brand of the amplifiers they had setup. Each were big heavy rack mounted Amps. Massive. They played one of the Star Wars Films. Very powerful Soundtrack. All I can tell you was, I, along with many others, stood there in total shock with their jaws hanging down. Since then, I have NEVER heard & felt Bass like that. The Bass hit me in the chest so hard, I thought I was being hit in the chest with a sledge hammer. Unfriggin' believable. Most of the females in the room left whan that happened. Completely of the charts. I have had a lot of systems in my times, but never have I ever experienced anything like that beore or since, including my HT with dual HSU TNN-1220's & HSU 500 watt separate Rack mounted, an cooled Sub Amp.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

To do that the triamping has to be active with electronic crossovers. That is the way things ought to go. Power amps belong in speakers and NOT receivers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Was going to say the same, sounds like an active system and was designed as such. Much different than a passive speaker. People who don't know what an active system is would tend to think that a passive system works the same way.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
If you mean the jumpers, between low and high pass crossover sections, then yes they must be in place for a single wire connection. It does not matter after installing the jumpers if you connect to the upper or lower terminals.
Yes that's exactly what I meant,I should off said in my op but I sometimes get a little flustered when talking about something I am not sure about.Also I should of mentioned my speakers which are the Yamaha HX8 series which I think from memory require a lot of power.I was wondering if it was worth using A and B.Bi amping sounds like the go,also my amp is capable of bridging into a 5.1 system but I am not sure about my speakers being able to handle that.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
Thanks guys, this is great education for myself and I really appreciate all your help on this.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
There is nothing more important in this passion than getting a good demo of a system that is well set up,as it's something you don't forget.I love hearing other people's systems and am always interested in how they hook up their equipment.Your story reminds me off the first time I viewed a laser disc player.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Just to clarify signal separation.
While the signal is present at the speaker terminal the current flow in the wire to each set will be different, not identical for obvious reason.
The high end will have the current flow of the crossed over low band equivalent to the slop of that crossover. If you have a sharp crossover, say 18 dB or 24 dB per octave, that is the amount less those will be in that line and the opposite on the low band driver.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
There is nothing more important in this passion than getting a good demo of a system that is well set up,as it's something you don't forget.I love hearing other people's systems and am always interested in how they hook up their equipment.Your story reminds me off the first time I viewed a laser disc player.
I am still enjoying my Laser Discs. I have a huge collection of them and 2 Higher end Pioneer Players. They still work great and no macrovision.. More songs or chapters on a lot of LD's.

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
I am still enjoying my Laser Discs. I have a huge collection of them and 2 Higher end Pioneer Players. They still work great and no macrovision.. More songs or chapters on a lot of LD's.
Yea the pioneer players were probably the most popular.I once owned a Sony mdp850d but it played up a lot so I got rid of it.I now have a pioneer CLD1750 but hardly use it.I always thought the bass reproduction from a laser disc was outstanding.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't bother bi-wiring. I know the product blurb says this about bi-wiring: "The separation reduces modulation distortion and better sound quality". Literally that says it reduces better sound quality, probably some quality translating going on there :).

Yea they are the ones,they are my mains and I have the HX7 as my centre so I was thinking of bridging the front 3 only as I don think I need to bridge my surrounds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis