Cutting the cord...

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
What's the difference between HULU and HULU Plus?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
We still use Dish, but have recently added an Apple box and an Amazon box. The thing I'm realizing is that a lot of content accessible thru those boxes requires a fee.

Apple doesn't have much we want, movies or TV, without a fee. It is useful for mirroring our Iphones or Ipads and viewing photos on our phones.

We already paid for Amazon Prime, so that opened up some content on the Amazon box. But we still had to add subscriptions for a lot of the content, (like Acorn and PBS). And it seems most network stuff is only available as a replay, not during the original airing, w/o a fee.

To cut the Dish cord, I'd have to add up all the individual channel fees to compare costs. And even then, we couldn't skip the commercials like we can w/ the DVR.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Tivo boxes are nice, but aren't they have required subscription included part of the deal?
Not to mention the 200 dollar hit. All I really need is CBS I may just bite the bullet and pay for the all access service. Problem is they don't do NFL games.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
11.34mbps DL/1.3mbps Uploads
This is good hope the prices don't go up. Thanks again BSA!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
:eek: I only wish. Snail pace, eh huh? o_O I'm guessing your playing internet games.
I barely play any games. Speed was cheap upgrade then $15/month more (grandfathered plan)
I will ether go for 200 or lower my bill by $5. I do work from home a lot and extra speed helps

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
When we moved into the new place, went internet only. Finally tired of missing soccer games that have finally broken into network TV so I'm giving SlingTV a try for the 7 day free trial. Right now watching the presidential debate. So far so good.........with SlingTV that is. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We cut the cord at our Eagan residence a month ago.

We stream most of what we watch anyway. However there are gaps in doing this. On the weeks my wife still works she likes to come home and watch the evening news for instance. she does not generally get home until this is long over.

So a couple of days ago I installed a Channel Master DVR+ with a small UHF roof Yagi-Uda array.

It works like a charm and provides 45 really crisp channels. PQ is better than Comcast or Direct TV we have on Benedict Lake. This unit allows for simultaneous record and playback, or the recording of two programs at once. It also supports Dolby 7.1.

The unit can be ordered with a 16 GB or 1 TB drive. I ordered the 1 TB version. In addition I ordered the USB Wi-Fi Dongle for it. You have to order the Channel Master one and it works well. I updated the Firmware with it. You get VUDU for free, YouTube, Pandora and Sling TV in the Internet apps

The unit is all metal and not plastic and it only gets slightly warm. Excellent on line user manual also, the latter way above the usual offerings. Quality is of a far better standard then Comcast junk electronics. This one does actually switch off and powers down by itself if you forget. I'm not easily impressed, but I was with this unit. Not cheap but for the build quality and presentation I rate it well worth the money. I hate junk and this unit just oozes quality when you handle it and in use.

My wife is thrilled with this unit.

This system has FM/HD radio, a BD player, Chromecast and a media player.

For streaming neither I nor my wife find this as handy as the HTPC we have at Benedict.

I have specked an Intel NUC HTPC build round the IVY Bridge 5. I think I will order the parts this week and install it here. The I think this system will have excellent functionality. This system sounds absolutely superb and it is well worth getting optimal functionality from it.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
We cut the cord at our Eagan residence a month ago.

We stream most of what we watch anyway. However there are gaps in doing this. On the weeks my wife still works she likes to come home and watch the evening news for instance. she does not generally get home until this is long over.

So a couple of days ago I installed a Channel Master DVR+ with a small UHF roof Yagi-Uda array.

It works like a charm and provides 45 really crisp channels. PQ is better than Comcast or Direct TV we have on Benedict Lake. This unit allows for simultaneous record and playback, or the recording of two programs at once. It also supports Dolby 7.1.

The unit can be ordered with a 16 GB or 1 TB drive. I ordered the 1 TB version. In addition I ordered the USB Wi-Fi Dongle for it. You have to order the Channel Master one and it works well. I updated the Firmware with it. You get VUDU for free, YouTube, Pandora and Sling TV in the Internet apps

The unit is all metal and not plastic and it only gets slightly warm. Excellent on line user manual also, the latter way above the usual offerings. Quality is of a far better standard then Comcast junk electronics. This one does actually switch off and powers down by itself if you forget. I'm not easily impressed, but I was with this unit. Not cheap but for the build quality and presentation I rate it well worth the money. I hate junk and this unit just oozes quality when you handle it and in use.

My wife is thrilled with this unit.

This system has FM/HD radio, a BD player, Chromecast and a media player.

For streaming neither I nor my wife find this as handy as the HTPC we have at Benedict.

I have specked an Intel NUC HTPC build round the IVY Bridge 5. I think I will order the parts this week and install it here. The I think this system will have excellent functionality. This system sounds absolutely superb and it is well worth getting optimal functionality from it.

Wow, I had looked at the Channel Master. I'm glad it's that good. It was our intent to ditch Verizon FIOS. The price is high, & they constantly try to raise the price, and I have to waste my time arguing with them. I am sick of it. I have an incredible HD Roof antenna on a telescoping 25' mount on the roof. The off air signals are very good, and we bought a few Roku's but I could not convince my wife to ditch Verizon. She is so stuck on their DVR. I only use the antenna on 2 less used TV's in the house right now. Is thyere any way to use the CM to also be a DVR. I saw some hacks for it, but I don't know.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis