C

Connie G

Audiophyte
I'd like to buy a turntable system for my husband. I have no idea where the technology has gone is at since we last turntable we purchased was in the 70s. I'd like to keep the cost for turntable, amp, speakers under $1500. He's a guitar player and he has some electronic equipment for recording, etc... but nothing for listening. Any suggestions are appreciated.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Speakers: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
Amp: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs300bl/yamaha-r-s300-2-ch-x-50-watts-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

Turntable: No idea. what so ever. Someone else will chine-in. Maybe Pro-ject Debut ??

If you could stretch budget a bit or find really good deal on TT, maybe you could upgrade the deal to these speaker: http://philharmonicaudio.com/New Philharmonitor.html
Don't be afraid to put most of money into speakers, that's the right way to go. Balanced approach doesn't really work in audio since it's the speakers responsible for 95% of sound quality.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Where are you located Connie G? There may be some shops near you where you could go look.

When I walked into my local dealer the other day with my cousin to help her audition some speakers I spied a pretty nice entry-level system featured. It sounded fairly good for the money. Same one shown here:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/r-15pm-turntable-pack

Those are powered speakers (internal built-in amplifier) that can also output to a subwoofer. And now you'd have budget for one.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd like to buy a turntable system for my husband. I have no idea where the technology has gone is at since we last turntable we purchased was in the 70s. I'd like to keep the cost for turntable, amp, speakers under $1500. He's a guitar player and he has some electronic equipment for recording, etc... but nothing for listening. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Hello and welcome to the group. :)

Most of your budget should be allocated on the speakers turntable and amp in this order with speakers and turntable being roughly equal in cost.

Looking at turntables, stay away from semi automatics and turntables equipped with USB. Go strictly manual as the money spent on developing and building goes primarily on the motor, tonearm, and plinth (base of the TT) and thats where it counts the most in terms of performance. Reputable entry level turntable manufacturers are ProJect, Music Hall, Rega, Orbit...there are a few more but I can't remember them all. I'm on my 2nd ProJect TT having lost the first one in a flood.

Speakers are a personal preference and are very subjective as no one hears exactly the same. Your best is to audition to get an idea of what sound you or your hubby likes. I would look at the following speaker manufacturers: PSB, Salk, Ascends, Philharmonic Audi. The last three are internet direct brands, the first goes through a dealership. Both my systems are built with PSB speakers. You can see my equipment list in my signature. Your options for 2speakers are full range towers or bookshelves + a sub woofer. My main system is built around towers while my secondary system is built around bookshelves and subs.

For amplification, you can go to an integrated amp, a 2 channel receiver, or an audio video receiver (AVR) . My pick would be a midlevel to top level AVR from 2 o3 three years ago from companies such as Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz. Just make sure they include a phono input. The reason behind an AVR is increased flexibility with bass management which is required for bookshelf+sub configurations. Its also cheaper than buying a dedicated integrated amp or stereo receiver. An AVR usually provides many more component inputs so you can expand your sources as well as allowing one to move to home theater should you choose too. I hope this helps;

My main system are the first three pics, the last two pics are of my secondary system.IMG-20130924-00093.jpg IMG-20130924-00097.jpg Xpression-2.jpg IMG_20150414_080823.jpg IMG_20150609_145636.jpg

Attachments

Mike Ruby

Mike Ruby

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

Does he use his recording system to listen to music currently? An entry level pair of powered recording monitors would easily outperform the Klipsch system and have value for his recording hobby as well.

If he does, a decent phono preamp can be had for around $100 to allow for a conventional turntable to work within his recording environment.

I think the Project TT's are very good options and have good upgrade paths if wanted.

Some ideas's

M-audio BX-8's - Small biamplified cost effective Studio monitor. Much higher performance than the Klipsch speakers and might have benefit for his recording needs. He might already have something like this in his recording system. $500/pair and they are self powered so they don't need an outboard amp.

Project debut carbon - $400 included with a decent cartridge. Much better TT than the Klipsch package.

Project Phono box MM - $99 this little box would make a conventional Turntable able to be hooked up to his recording system.

I hope this helps.

Mike

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with Mike Ruby about the cartridge in the Klipsch-ProJect package deal, it's nothing great. Consider the price of the whole package is about $200 more than what I'd spend on just the entry-level turntable, there's got to be some cost-cutting in there.

My choice was the Pro-Ject RPM1, sold in the US with the Sumiko Pearl cartridge. I got it with the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM for $500. Can't complain, it's actually pretty darn good for that price. The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is in the same class of price-performance. That leaves $900 to $1000 for an amp and speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis