KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know where you are looking, but A4L has the Denon 2100 for $70 less ($330) than the 2200 ($400) (and the Yammy 850 is $470).

Are there features on the 2200 that are important to you? As a music guy, I would get the 2100 allowing more money to go to speakers. I don't think you care about atmos and that leaves HDMI version 2.2 as the only difference I see. I don't plan on installing a 10' projector and am pretty sure that I could not tell 4k resolution on my 60" screen from 15' back where the seating is.

From an Audyssey standpoint here are the differences. Going from Silver to Gold has little value to me:

As for the difference between XT and XT32, see the chart at the bottom here:
http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors

If you level-match dual subs and set their distances close to the same, you have done what Sub EQ HT does.
So the main benefit of XT32 is 4 times the resolution for EQ'ing your subs. That sounds like a lot, but the 128x of plain XT should take care of the big problems. I suspect there is a situation of diminishing returns by the time you get to 512x, but honestly don't know that to be fact.

If you go the Yamaha route, make sure it has decent sub EQ as that is really where EQ makes a solid impact.

You may have noticed that I ignore Audyssey's resolution on satellites. I just don't really care much about that. It is fun every now and then when I hear something come from my satellites watching a movie, but I have never even considered critically listening to my satellites in normal 5.2 operation (I have listened critically to them only as mains for stereo music). But if you are a HT guy, that may be worth considering.

Re-read this section of Hi Ho's post:

Audyssey uses FIR filters and works in the time domain to correct issues. It is also the only system that actually EQ's the low bass effectively which is really one of the most important areas for any room correction system. The competitors are simply automated parametric equalizers which are not as effective and none of them do much, if any for low bass.
If Hi Ho is correct (and he usually is) and if you plan to have a sub or two, I don't see Denon vs Yammy as a difficult decision!;) It is a shame that Yamaha hasn't developed a similar system or just paid Audyssey as I do like Yamaha.

Also, you may want to consider the Marantz SR-5007 ($350 at A4L). Marantz usually falls short overall on HT features against Denon, but even the lowly 5007 has 7.1 RCA inputs and pre-outs for all 7.2 channels. If you have no use for them, go Denon.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
After reading on the manual to the Pioneer 1130-K I have decided to forgo it altogether. MCACC Pro looks to me very complicated and probably not even worth the hassle. So really the question is do I opt for an AVR that is HDCP 2.2 compliant OR not worry about that too much. I am aware that if I not go the HDCP 2.2 route that I can connect a 4K BR player directly to a 4K TV and then subsequently run optical from the 4K BR Player to the AVR. No it would not be the best route to go, but it sure would work. Just hope that it would work well enough for me as my preference is on music as it is. Seems like everything one way or another is about trade-offs!

Cheers,

Phil

J

Justintime2

Audiophyte
I have had an Onkyo with Audyssey.
Now i own a Pioneer with MCACC Pro. But it does a way better job.
My subs are sounding great and the upper bass kicks in my large Floorstanding speakers are booming.

Audessey was always way off (the highs were tiring at one moment) and no manual eq possible at that time.

With MCACC pro you can set everything to your own taste.

Really like mcacc pro (2015 mcacc pro)

Lower bass is indeed what I miss. But that I am going to solve withe the minidsp.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have had an Onkyo with Audyssey.
Now i own a Pioneer with MCACC Pro. But it does a way better job.
My subs are sounding great and the upper bass kicks in my large Floorstanding speakers are booming.

Audessey was always way off (the highs were tiring at one moment) and no manual eq possible at that time.

With MCACC pro you can set everything to your own taste.

Really like mcacc pro (2015 mcacc pro)

Lower bass is indeed what I miss. But that I am going to solve withe the minidsp.
Very glad to hear that MCACC PRO is working well for you. Personally, I prefer Audyssey myself. Measuring from more than one spot makes a significant difference inmho. I know that YPAO has Multi-Point. Not too sure how MCACC PRO measures. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

J

Justintime2

Audiophyte
Very glad to hear that MCACC PRO is working well for you. Personally, I prefer Audyssey myself. Measuring from more than one spot makes a significant difference inmho. I know that YPAO has Multi-Point. Not too sure how MCACC PRO measures. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
Mcacc pro has also multispot measurements.

My system sounds way tighter and more in balance with MCACC pro than with Audessey.
But each of their own... I was quite surprised to be honest.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Regardless of which RC one uses, there is much more than just running them once. There are a few guides that aide in their setups that really tweak the setup more favorably

J

Justintime2

Audiophyte
Regardless of which RC one uses, there is much more than just running them once. There are a few guides that aide in their setups that really tweak the setup more favorably
100% true.. That's why i like mcacc pro. With old Audyssey you couldn't tweak much as you were chained to the eq values.
I believe the new versions Audyssey are able now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
100% true.. That's why i like mcacc pro. With old Audyssey you couldn't tweak much as you were chained to the eq values.
I believe the new versions Audyssey are able now.
Except that's not what he meant, at least the way I read it, believe he was talking about running the routine more than once and experimenting with technique/mic positioning to vary results....i.e. just don't run MCACC or Audyssey or YPAO or whatever just once and leaving it. Tweaking the resultant eq settings over the fixed ones is something the new 2016 Audyssey app does finally offer on newer avrs (but the manual controls are still fairly limited).

J

Justintime2

Audiophyte
Except that's not what he meant, at least the way I read it, believe he was talking about running the routine more than once and experimenting with technique/mic positioning to vary results....i.e. just don't run MCACC or Audyssey or YPAO or whatever just once and leaving it. Tweaking the resultant eq settings over the fixed ones is something the new 2016 Audyssey app does finally offer on newer avrs (but the manual controls are still fairly limited).
I know what he meant.... It's not just a measurement and done.

There is an excellent tutorial (in German) for MCACC Pro. Where you have to calibrate four times. If you follow that guideline it sounds way different and better than a one run.

Playing with speaker distances and "toe in" subwoofer placements etc. etc. Done it all.

But most important set the eq in the way it sounds best to your ears.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know what he meant.... It's not just a measurement and done.

There is an excellent tutorial (in German) for MCACC Pro. Where you have to calibrate four times. If you follow that guideline it sounds way different and better than a one run.
Didn't sound like it, sorry.

Is this to accumulate different saved profiles each of the four times you run it?

A

asere

Audioholic
I had MCACC PRO, multeq, XT and now XT32. Going from plain multeq to XT there was indeed a difference. The bass was tighter. With XT32 it's hard to tell sometimes but I can say it feels more integrated and the LFE is really where it's at.
How much more does XT32 calibrate compared to other audyssey flavors? Yes from 128 to 512 but how much more exactly?
Does anyone know?
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes the setup for the auto eq is much more than "I ran it". Both MCACC and the others need tweaking and there are detailed threads discussing the same

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis