Cutting the cord...

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Every company only cares about revenue.

VOIP isn't a joke because of router reliability (we've never had one go down), but VOIP, any VOIP, has some occasional QoS problems I don't like. But it's more reliable than LTE for long conference calls. A true land line alone where we live is ~$70/month. Still, I'm tempted sometimes...

As for price going up after the intro period, only if you're complacent and don't renegotiate. Cable companies need to be managed like car dealers and real estate agents. Disgusting, but reality.
Well, it really depends on where you live, who your provider is, etc. I have Verizon FIOS. We have had problems with our router. I am at 75/75 because of the number of devices we have. My 4G LTE in my area is a lot better then VOIP around here is disapointing. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. You should look into Ooma though for home phones.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've been using sling for a while. It's actually more reliable than my cable was and I can watch it on any device I own anywhere. Problem with getting a cable install is I need to be home for them to do it and they want to charge me a hookup fee. Plus for 50 bucks a month I already have every channel I want for sports. Vue doesn't have PC support so that's a non-starter for me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nvidia Shield-TV box with SlingTV plus is what I would suggest
https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/best-apps-to-stream-tv
With Kodi it supports playback of ALL HD audio codecs etc... and it has the most powerful hardware of the bunch. It's also only one which supports 4k HDR (HDR10)

2nd option : Amazon FireTV with PS VUE or Sling TV

Apple's ATV4 is too limited and I won't recommend it for most cort cutters, except if you're stuck to itunes walled garden.
I'm intrigued because you do not include the "standards" (Hulu and Netflix)!
I'm certain you've spent more time researching this than I have/will.
Are you primarily addressing the request for watching sports or do you see this as a total solution?
Is Sling TV essentially Hulu on steroids? Would I miss anything from Hulu if I swapped these two services?
I assume that Netflix is a different category.

I really don't care about the sports channels, so much of the benefit of Sling is lost on me.

One point I believe is accurate is that Sling TV Orange is $20, but only allows streaming to one device at a time, while Sling TV Blue is $25/mo and allows 3 devices at a time along with more channels (although orange has some shows blue doesn't and vice versa).

Edit: I found that Tom's Hardware did a good summary of Sling TV:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-sling-tv-faq,news-20474.html

For me, a major advantage of Hulu is I can watch a show when I want instead of needing to make myself available when the show is broadcast. I've never had tivo, so am not sure how easily that would replace Hulu's ability to watch a few of weeks of past shows.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm intrigued because you do not include the "standards" (Hulu and Netflix)!
I'm certain you've spent more time researching this than I have/will.
Are you primarily addressing the request for watching sports or do you see this as a total solution?
Is Sling TV essentially Hulu on steroids? Would I miss anything from Hulu if I swapped these two services?
I assume that Netflix is a different category.

I really don't care about the sports channels, so much of the benefit of Sling is lost on me.

One point I believe is accurate is that Sling TV Orange is $20, but only allows streaming to one device at a time, while Sling TV Blue is $25/mo and allows 3 devices at a time along with more channels (although orange has some shows blue doesn't and vice versa).

Edit: I found that Tom's Hardware did a good summary of Sling TV:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-sling-tv-faq,news-20474.html

For me, a major advantage of Hulu is I can watch a show when I want instead of needing to make myself available when the show is broadcast. I've never had tivo, so am not sure how easily that would replace Hulu's ability to watch a few of weeks of past shows.
Correct, I don't include Netflix and Hulu since they are pretty much golden standard, but If you know which specific content provides you need, one should validate it ahead.

So Sling TV and Playstation VUE are not Hulu or netflix - they are first and for now only Live TV streaming over the internet (legal) options. Both subscription based. Have different features, limits and prices.

The reason I suggested these is since Hulu and netflix could used almost on every platform, but live TV streaming is relatively new thing. Some may want, while I couldn't care less about live TV any more.

Cutting the cord is very individual process. Only you would know what content you like and build hardware which supports it. I believe that Nvidia shield TV is most universal, but if it's missing Amazon Prime Video and it's important for you - you know - get FireTV :)

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
I've been using sling for a while. It's actually more reliable than my cable was and I can watch it on any device I own anywhere. Problem with getting a cable install is I need to be home for them to do it and they want to charge me a hookup fee. Plus for 50 bucks a month I already have every channel I want for sports. Vue doesn't have PC support so that's a non-starter for me.
I respect your choices. Years ago, I had a bad experience with Dish Network (they own Sling), so this just isn't important to me. Different strokes for different folks. Journey on.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I liked Dish vs. Comcast. New place doesn't have reception so I got out of contract early with no fees, but now I am stuck with Comcast.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I believe that Nvidia shield TV is most universal, but if it's missing Amazon Prime Video and it's important for you - you know - get FireTV :)
The Shield is an interesting device but since I use all Apple devices the Apple TV 4 was the best option. As for Amazon Prime, the Apple TV doesn't support it directly but the iPhone/iPad app for Amazon video supports AirPlay which works beautifully.

I basically only use my URC MX-980 remote to turn my system on/off at this point. The Apple TV Siri remote is just so simple and so intuitive with the trackpad navigation. I do hope this type of UI becomes more prevalent. It has been attempted before and failed miserably but Apple got it right.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
HiHo, it's not about which devices you use, it's about which media content you consume.
Like I said, if you invested a lot in iTunes content, the choice for media device becomes very simple.

Splicer

Splicer

Audioholic Intern
Cut the cord back in 2007 (minus internet service of course ;) ) and haven't looked back. 50+ OTA channels plus my Amazon FireTV box (Roku 2 XS originally) with Netflix and Hulu+. The Bedroom has the FireTV stick + OTA. The office has only FireTV Stick. Zero complaints.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice one Splicer.
People tend to underestimate the capabilities of tiny FireTV Sticks - it's actually quite powerful htpc client.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My OTA box finally bit the dust. What are you folks using now?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

My OTA box finally bit the dust. What are you folks using now?
TIVO sells DVRs that accept an OTA antenna input and also streams. We’ve been using one for a number of years now, no complaints.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
TIVO sells DVRs that accept an OTA antenna input and also streams. We’ve been using one for a number of years now, no complaints.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Tivo boxes are nice, but aren't they have required subscription included part of the deal?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

We’re paying $16 a month per unit (two in our case). You’re mainly paying for the scheduling feature for the DVR, which is totally worth it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis