Dolby atmos...worth upgrade?

C

Chuck Willems

Enthusiast
ok...I have a home theater in my basement. 7.2 system with 110" screen and projector. Have 2 speakers in center back ceiling and am thinking of upgrading to atmos receiver....adding two more ceiling speakers (with a potential for two additional down the road-for total of 11)...will be upgrading to new marantz sr6011 just released.

Questions...
- those of you who have upgraded.....have you found that you have seen(heard) notibal improvement relative to a more immersive audio movie experience with Dolby atmos DVDs ?

- how well has the "up mixing" worked for the 5.1 and digital ex/Dts content (non atmos) ? I.e. I have a lot of ripped 5.1 DVDs content and I have read articles that atmos amps upmixes non atmos audio to maximize the additional channels to do more with the space. Not necessarily create atmos out of 5.1 but at least utilize the extra channels.

Thanks in advance!!

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
Both Dolby and DTS will "upmix" their respective 5.1 audio soundtracks to simulated 3D and use the Atmos speakers. I like it because it expands the soundstage upwards a bit in my setup.

C

Chuck Willems

Enthusiast
Thanks for the response. So you find that the 5.1 content indeed sounds more expansive with the atmos receiver....cool.

Will have to add a 2nd amp at some point to expand to more speakers..

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
Absolutely, it gives new dimension to all of your legacy and everyday content.
Personally I consider it considerably more of abb improvement than going from 5.1 to 7.1 was, and my room and setup really needed rears.

C

Chuck Willems

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply!! I have a Sony projector in the ceiling. (3D 1080p-2yrs old)

For speakers...7.2 setup...7.2 center, 2 fronts, 2 subs (8"), 2 def tech bi pilar sides, 2 def tech center backs..110" screen (with variable led lights around the outside).

Will be adding two more with the new atmos amp in the ceiling somewhere in front of the projector.

I believe with my amp trade in marantz(sr6009) to the new sr6011 and the 2 ceiling speaker (dI6.5r) with install labor...will be looking at $2K.. Now need to get this by the wife...somehow.

C

Chuck Willems

Enthusiast
Attached is a pic of my setup...apologies but you can't see center back ceiling speakers cause they are just behind the projector

Attachments

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Theres several very large threads over at AVSforum about this very subject thazt I keep up on, and I dont recall even one person who has upgraded *properly* (in or on ceiling speakers) that didnt think it was worth it. FWIW.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
Theres several very large threads over at AVSforum about this very subject thazt I keep up on, and I dont recall even one person who has upgraded *properly* (in or on ceiling speakers) that didnt think it was worth it. FWIW.

I'm just using the PSB Imagine XA Atmos enabled modules in my living room (I know, Audioholics review blasphemy) in 5.2.2, and I've been happy with it. Of course the problem with the modules is that it's going to be very room specific as to performance. I might have just gotten lucky :)

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
I'm just using the PSB Imagine XA Atmos enabled modules in my living room (I know, Audioholics review blasphemy) in 5.2.2, and I've been happy with it. Of course the problem with the modules is that it's going to be very room specific as to performance. I might have just gotten lucky :)
And thats really all that matters. This hobby is a bit crazy as no one has the same set-up or room theyre working with. But in the end, if youre happy. why worry about it? :)

Ning

Ning

Audiophyte
I just upgraded my 7.2 system to a 12.2 Atmos system. All I had to buy was a new pre/pro (Marantz AV8802A). Everything else came out of the closet - 5-channel amp, speakers, etc. Was it worth the not-inconsiderable effort? Not sure yet. The brief Atmos demos at the beginning of some Blu-Rays (e.g.: first disc of 'Game of Thrones' Season 5) are FABULOUS. The front height and width speakers open up the front soundfield nicely and surround the TV screen with expansive sound. However, most of the actual Atmos soundtracks I've experienced so far make insufficient use of the rear channels. I'm dying to hear a helicopter fly across my ceiling, but no such luck yet. Like 4k, I hope the content providers make a greater effort to take advantage of the possibilities afforded by the technology AND make more content available.

L

Lawrance Mann

Audiophyte
ok...I have a home theater in my basement. 7.2 system with 110" screen and projector. Have 2 speakers in center back ceiling and am thinking of upgrading to atmos receiver....adding two more ceiling speakers (with a potential for two additional down the road-for total of 11)...will be upgrading to new marantz sr6011 just released.

Questions...
- those of you who have upgraded.....have you found that you have seen(heard) notibal improvement relative to a more immersive audio movie experience with Dolby atmos DVDs ?

- how well has the "up mixing" worked for the 5.1 and digital ex/Dts content (non atmos) ? I.e. I have a lot of ripped 5.1 DVDs content and I have read articles that atmos amps upmixes non atmos audio to maximize the additional channels to do more with the space. Not necessarily create atmos out of 5.1 but at least utilize the extra channels.

Thanks in advance!!
I had 4 Boze 901s with a quad turntable 40 yrs ago, so I have heard it all. Just got an Onkyo RZ800. Have vaulted ceilings so, I just connecting to existing 7.1 speakers and UNREAL!!!! Greatest sounding system I have ever had. So much clearer and the sound literally surrounds you. I don't get that you ndividual speaker effect anymore. Suicide squad, Fifth Element, and The Wall would make you drop what your doing right now and get it, lol. I'm an old musician so even with my hearing, or lack of, the difference is astounding. I upgraded from an Onkyo receiver with the same power rating, 135 / ch. I might try some higher speakers.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I had 4 Boze 901s with a quad turntable 40 yrs ago, so I have heard it all. Just got an Onkyo RZ800. Have vaulted ceilings so, I just connecting to existing 7.1 speakers and UNREAL!!!! Greatest sounding system I have ever had. So much clearer and the sound literally surrounds you. I don't get that you ndividual speaker effect anymore. Suicide squad, Fifth Element, and The Wall would make you drop what your doing right now and get it, lol. I'm an old musician so even with my hearing, or lack of, the difference is astounding. I upgraded from an Onkyo receiver with the same power rating, 135 / ch. I might try some higher speakers.
How does Dolby Atmos sound to you when playing regular 2 channel music?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd have to hear the same movie (the crop duster scene from "North By Northwest" or "The Birds") with and without Atmos to truly make a wise judgement if it's worth it to upgrade. I'm not sure the bouncy-house speaker is the way to go and my landlord won't let me place speakers in the ceiling.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
I'd have to hear the same movie (the crop duster scene from "North By Northwest" or "The Birds") with and without Atmos to truly make a wise judgement if it's worth it to upgrade. I'm not sure the bouncy-house speaker is the way to go and my landlord won't let me place speakers in the ceiling.
You can always use Height speakers instead, while not as accurate a in-ceiling, in almost all situations Heights work better than upfiring reflective speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis