Marantz MM8077 vs Yamaha MXA 5000

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mostly the volume is about 18 or 20 db as shown on the display. ( this is the reading I get when watch a movie) Room size is 6Mx4M approximately or little less. Closed type with 1 door ( closed type) .
Is that -18 or -20 relative scale? 18 or 20 doesn't make any sense at least on the absolute scale. You did calibrate the avr with Audyssey? If so, that's not a particularly very loud level and you're probably using about 20 watts per ch to hit the peaks at those volume levels.

6 x 4 by what height? Works on the volume, not the square measure....and ceilings vary.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, but if you are given a situation that Pre amp is a totaly different brand I.e Rotel, Anthem..what would you suggest
Then I would get the matching Rotel, Anthem...amp. Or ATI. :D

I have the Denon pre-pro. I would have gotten the Denon amp, but it was too big and heavy and overpriced (especially for its 150WPC output). So I got an ATI amp.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Kurt..

I totally agree with you but I have the top of the line Jamo fronts C109 and Jamo C9 SUR and C10 cen. That is why I wanted to choose between Marantz and Yamaha power amps. I hear Yamaha usually has more power to drive lower impedeance speakrs as oppose to marantz power amps. Anthem also good but over my budget..

Cheers
Thanks for making me aware of these speakers, I stand corrected!
Audiovox bought Klipsch (who owns Jamo) in 2011. We have watched (once innovative) Energy and Mirage (and to a lesser extent, Klipsch) gradually be "de-contented" and discounted for high volume sales with no new innovation by this arrangement, and I was expecting the same on Jamo's count. I'm not yet convinced, but the fact that Jamo is introducing new designs since the Audiovox takeover is reassuring that they may be giving a successful company some leeway to continue building success instead of running it into the ground for immediate profits.
When you said Jamo, this type of $300 HTiB is what came to mind, and I was concerned that you were investing disproportionately in electronics when a speaker upgrade was obvious.
https://www.amazon.com/Jamo-102-HCS-Theater-System/dp/B007BSORS0/ref=sr_1_6?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1474486150&sr=1-6&keywords=jamo

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I looked at the Jamo site for his speakers one thing struck me was their comments on design...by an industrial designer no less, apparently not a speaker designer, concentrating on the aesthetic aspects primarily. Check out the typical rooms they show the speakers in while he talks about the design...acoustically challenged to say the least...but they look good o_O

A

anthony weimar

Audiophyte
Hi

I am thinking of updating my power amps for the HT and I would like to choose between Marantz MM8077 7 channel power amp and Yamaha MXA 5000 11 channel power amps. I will be using these amps only for 7 channels (1 center, 2 surround, 2 back and 2 ceiling (Dolby Atmos) as main Left and Right are being driven by seperate power amp. All the speakres are 6 Ohms Jamo latest models. Regardless cost and amount of channels available for the mentiones power amplifires, what is the best opption to power up 7 channels.

View attachment 19172 View attachment 19173
keep in mind that the mm8077 does sound nice and warm, but it will run out of steem. i had one with the 8801 and paradigm studio 60's there rated at 6 Ohms. it would clip and shut down, i now have a rotel.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would be very surprised if Marantz produced a power amp that actually colored the sound in any audible way. Amplification is a mature science and we know how to measure it to ensure that the amplifier is not distorting the signal in any audible way. And yes, "nice warm sound" is distortion, if the amp is imparting that characteristic on the sound. Now, if the recording has a nice warm sound, any well designed modern amp should convey it quite nicely.

A

anthony weimar

Audiophyte
I would be very surprised if Marantz produced a power amp that actually colored the sound in any audible way. Amplification is a mature science and we know how to measure it to ensure that the amplifier is not distorting the signal in any audible way. And yes, "nice warm sound" is distortion, if the amp is imparting that characteristic on the sound. Now, if the recording has a nice warm sound, any well designed modern amp should convey it quite nicely.
ok let me put it this way marantz amp was a better match to my paradigms compared to emotiva, now i have a rmb 1585 it is clearer now compared to the marantz and not harsh like emotiva my personal experince.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Unless any of these were under-powered for your speakers, I feel pretty confident that the difference you heard was due to your bias/expectations. If you were talking AVR's or Preamps, I would be quicker to acknowledge the possibility (because of how the processing can be implemented).
No offense, it is human nature to perceive a difference when marketing or simply appearance causes you to expect a difference.
My favorite analogy is to suppose that two women are equally good at kissing; however, one is very attractive and the other, not so much. Would you get more enjoyment out of one over the other? Why is that? You have mentally coveted the more attractive woman and because you expect an exceptional experience, you realize it. (I apologize if my analogy offends you, but it is the strongest and most common example I can think of).
I guess this also begs the question, "If you ultimately enjoy it more, does it matter?". And I think that your pleasure after it is said and done is what matters! So, if you have found your best speakers (because speakers certainly sound different) and have the money to spend, buy whatever you believe to sound best. However, don't expect us to be comfortable with you advising others on specific benefits from swapping among well designed and capable amps when we cannot see any reason/measurement indicating that there would be a difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ok let me put it this way marantz amp was a better match to my paradigms compared to emotiva, now i have a rmb 1585 it is clearer now compared to the marantz and not harsh like emotiva my personal experince.
Sure you're not just dealing with different gain structure? How did you A/B each combo or are you relying on memory and your expectations based on what you've read and other factors?

I've changed out a lot of receivers/amps/avrs over the years and sure there are slight differences but never have been able to say for all material/sources one has a particular characteristic worth trying to categorize. Rooms make huge differences, the amplification....meh.

Last edited:
A

anthony weimar

Audiophyte
Unless any of these were under-powered for your speakers, I feel pretty confident that the difference you heard was due to your bias/expectations. If you were talking AVR's or Preamps, I would be quicker to acknowledge the possibility (because of how the processing can be implemented).
No offense, it is human nature to perceive a difference when marketing or simply appearance causes you to expect a difference.
My favorite analogy is to suppose that two women are equally good at kissing; however, one is very attractive and the other, not so much. Would you get more enjoyment out of one over the other? Why is that? You have mentally coveted the more attractive woman and because you expect an exceptional experience, you realize it. (I apologize if my analogy offends you, but it is the strongest and most common example I can think of).
I guess this also begs the question, "If you ultimately enjoy it more, does it matter?". And I think that your pleasure after it is said and done is what matters! So, if you have found your best speakers (because speakers certainly sound different) and have the money to spend, buy whatever you believe to sound best. However, don't expect us to be comfortable with you advising others on specific benefits from swapping among well designed and capable amps when we cannot see any reason/measurement indicating that there would be a difference.
sounds like a you feel that all amplifiers sound the same,i was stating fact that although the 8077 was a good match to my paradigms. it ran out of stem when pushed and theirs a good chance there was something wrong with it cause it would shut down even under normal listening. theirs no bias here just my personal experience with this hobby. i have owned sunfire tg3 with bobs signature amp, emotiva xpa5 ,xpa2 and upa1, av 8801 with mm8077 ,mm9000 and now the rotel rmb 1585 ... they all have there own sound differences but i wont hold it against anybody is they cant here a difference when you Chang gear.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
sounds like a you feel that all amplifiers sound the same,i was stating fact that although the 8077 was a good match to my paradigms. it ran out of stem when pushed and theirs a good chance there was something wrong with it cause it would shut down even under normal listening. theirs no bias here just my personal experience with this hobby. i have owned sunfire tg3 with bobs signature amp, emotiva xpa5 ,xpa2 and upa1, av 8801 with mm8077 ,mm9000 and now the rotel rmb 1585 ... they all have there own sound differences but i wont hold it against anybody is they cant here a difference when you Chang gear.
I don't "feel like" all amplifiers sound the same; I do "believe" all amplifiers sound the same when used within their design capability, assuming modern competent design, blah, blah, blah).
I "feel like" my system sounds different almost every time I listen to it! Most notably (and most easily repeated for me), I find it sounds cleaner and more detailed in the early morning than it does at the end of the day. I also find it sounds better after I have been anticipating getting home to listen to a song. So I "feel like" all amps sound different and even the same amp sounds different, although there is no apparent justification for the sound to be different.

However, I cannot bring myself to believe my perception is more accurate that logic (or measurement equipment). I assume that the music sounds better in the morning because I have a "fresh" set of ears (and anything else along the path from sound to perception). I assume the fact that music sounds better after I have been anticipating it is akin to the fact that food tastes better when I am hungry.

Music always sounds better when I am in a good mood! (though it helps improve my mood when I am not).

Those MacIntosh Monoblocks with the big blue meters will always sound better than my XPA-2! But if you prevent me from knowing which is which in a blind test, all of a sudden, the difference is not so clear or repeatable (I have BTDT).

I believe you hear a difference, I just don't believe you are being honest with yourself about why.

Now, if we are talking defective amplifiers or amplifiers which are incapable of properly handling the load presented by the speakers (and clipping), we are talking about an entirely different topic, and I believe it is wrong to advise people on the "sound" of gear which is likely defective as if it were the inherent nature of that gear. In the case of defective gear, the differences are easily measured, and usually at a level expected to be audible (and would easily be repeatable in a blind test).

So, you can see my real issue is the idea that, through subjective observations, you are reliably detecting objective differences in sound which are not supported by objective measurement. There are far too many variables in the human psyche to assume none of them are influencing your perceptions.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No it does not sound like that at all. I don't recall anyone here at AH saying all amps sound the same, not for a very long time if ever, not without qualification anyway.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
keep in mind that the mm8077 does sound nice and warm, but it will run out of steem. i had one with the 8801 and paradigm studio 60's there rated at 6 Ohms. it would clip and shut down, i now have a rotel.
It looks to me the power supply of the 8077 is comparable to that of the 1585. 150W vs 200W is less than 1.25 dB, and if the 8077 is used for 5 channel, the gap should even be closer. The Rotel weighs much more but that's mainly because it is built like a tank so the much more robust enclosure probably is the main source of the extra weight.

The Rotel has two fans while the Marantz has none so it is possible that the Marantz has a more aggressive protective system. Still, my MM8003 that is very similar to the 8077, and it has more than enough power for my not too sensitive speakers that also have some low impedance dips. If your 8077 would clip and shut down, either you push it beyond it's limit or you had a defective unit. I don't think the rated power output was the issue because again, the power output capability between it and the Rotel is really marginal.

A

anthony weimar

Audiophyte
It looks to me the power supply of the 8077 is comparable to that of the 1585. 150W vs 200W is less than 1.25 dB, and if the 8077 is used for 5 channel, the gap should even be closer. The Rotel weighs much more but that's mainly because it is built like a tank so the much more robust enclosure probably is the main source of the extra weight.

The Rotel has two fans while the Marantz has none so it is possible that the Marantz has a more aggressive protective system. Still, my MM8003 that is very similar to the 8077, and it has more than enough power for my not too sensitive speakers that also have some low impedance dips. If your 8077 would clip and shut down, either you push it beyond it's limit or you had a defective unit. I don't think the rated power output was the issue because again, the power output capability between it and the Rotel is really marginal.
i love the sound of marantz amps i still have the mm9000 in the rig, spec wise maybe close. in my opinion the dynamics of the rotel are far superior than the marantz, i wish marantz would come out with a 7x200 amp.

A

anthony weimar

Audiophyte
No it does not sound like that at all. I don't recall anyone here at AH saying all amps sound the same, not for a very long time if ever, not without qualification anyway.
look at post #31

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
i love the sound of marantz amps i still have the mm9000 in the rig, spec wise maybe close. in my opinion the dynamics of the rotel are far superior than the marantz, i wish marantz would come out with a 7x200 amp.
Then you haven't heard ATI fully balanced 7x300 amps. The dynamics is astounding. The soundstage is utterly breathtaking. ATI amps sound very sweet and exquisite.

It will make your Rotel amps sound severely anemic and a lot less chocolaty.

Last edited:
A

anthony weimar

Audiophyte
Then you haven't heard ATI fully balanced 7x300 amps. The dynamics is astounding. The soundstage is utterly breathtaking. ATI amps sound very sweet and exquisite.

It will make your Rotel amps sound severely anemic and a lot less chocolaty.
that must be awesome i will have to look that up just for sh*ts and giggles.

S

Sandi_k

Audiophyte
So I found this thread, searching on the Outlaw 7215 and the Yamaha CX-A5000 - which is the combo we're looking at.

Both are on deep discount right now - we can get the Yamaha for $1250 on closeout, and the 7215 for $800 - which seems like a SCREAMING deal. They'd be running our very warm Cremona M's, 4 ohm speakers.

Does this seem like a good combo?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So I found this thread, searching on the Outlaw 7215 and the Yamaha CX-A5000 - which is the combo we're looking at.

Both are on deep discount right now - we can get the Yamaha for $1250 on closeout, and the 7215 for $800 - which seems like a SCREAMING deal. They'd be running our very warm Cremona M's, 4 ohm speakers.

Does this seem like a good combo?
Did you mean Outlaw 7125 and Yamaha MX-A5000?

If so, I would say if you only need 7 channel, the Outlaw is a better deal in terms of bench tested dollar per watt. The Yamaha would do just as well or slightly better in 1,2 channel driven but the Outlaw will beat it in 5 and 7 channel driven output. Both are excellent deals though, for the prices you quoted, assuming both brand new with manufacturer warranties.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis