Running cables behind wall to tv

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Should I really have any concerns running hdmi, stereo rca, coax, along with power to the tv. As with everything, I've read conflicting stories about power cables being run with signal cables. I'm assuming optical would have no concerns. If it is an issue, what should I look for when purchasing cables that will have to be alongside power cables.

Mike Ruby

Mike Ruby

Audioholic Intern
I don't think you should be concerned about the cables in the wall. It's never ideal to run power with signal cables, but I don't think you will have a problem. I usually use an optical to coax convertor from the digital audio output of the TV. I don't find long toslink optical cables work or sound very good, especially with a lot of turns.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Should I really have any concerns running hdmi, stereo rca, coax, along with power to the tv. As with everything, I've read conflicting stories about power cables being run with signal cables. I'm assuming optical would have no concerns. If it is an issue, what should I look for when purchasing cables that will have to be alongside power cables.
Any cabling that's run in walls or over a ceiling,whether in an attic or between floors must comply with code requirements fr cabling (it needs to be CL2 or CL3, which are now called CMR (called 'riser' cable or CMP ('plenum' cable). Riser is the vertical path between floors, in walls and through attic spaces or between a floor and ceiling, Plenum is the return air ducts or when the space above a ceiling is used to carry return air for the HVAC system.

If the cable doesn't comply, it must be in some kind of conduit or closed raceway (no open seams or gaos) in order to meet code. This conduit/raceway cannot be shared with high voltage wiring (high voltage is power supply AC), nor is passing through the same drilled holes in framing. 'Low Voltage' has limited current flow and there's little risk of serious shock if the 'hot' conductor(s) are touched and it's sometimes defined as "no lethal voltage present".

Any signal cables for audio or video need to be 'in-wall rated' and should be more than 12" from power wiring that's not in metallic conduit when their paths are parallel because noise intrusion is more likely (less likely in digital circuits, but issues can arise).

If you want to make cable additions or replacement easier in the future, install some kind of flexible conduit between the wall plates where the cables go in and out- if you want to make the whole thing easier, use a junction box that has a high voltage and a low voltage side- Arlington and Carlon both make these and the Carlon should be available from Home Depot (that's where I bought them), Menards and other Arlington should have the other. This way, you can use one double gang Decora wall plate, rather than having two boxes, wall plates and trying to align them. If you want to make connection of the TV to a power surge protector easy AND comply with the electric code, you can use a recessed receptacle at the TV (sometimes called a 'clock outlet', it prevents the power cord's plug protruding into the back of the TV when the mount is close to the wall) and a power 'inlet' at the bottom (this looks like the male end of an extension cord)- use an extension cord with a straight plug to connect the power inlet to the surge protector.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

If you want to make connection of the TV to a power surge protector easy AND comply with the electric code, you can use a recessed receptacle at the TV (sometimes called a 'clock outlet', it prevents the power cord's plug protruding into the back of the TV when the mount is close to the wall) and a power 'inlet' at the bottom (this looks like the male end of an extension cord)- use an extension cord with a straight plug to connect the power inlet to the surge protector.
Here’s the solution highfigh was talking about. The “Power Out” mounts behind the TV, and the “Power In” at the bottom of the wall at standard electrical outlet height.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerBridge-In-Wall-Dual-Power-and-Cable-Management-Kit-for-Wall-Mounted-HDTV-TWO-CK/204820258

Here’s a Youtube video on how to install it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis