Connecting CD Player to amp question

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks. I knew about the Pro-Ject mat options. They also offer a leather mat, I've just never heard anything about using one. I'll keep my eyes open for something nice.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. I knew about the Pro-Ject mat options. They also offer a leather mat, I've just never heard anything about using one. I'll keep my eyes open for something nice.
Yeah, in my opinion the stock mat from Pro-Ject on the Debut was not even serviceable. I had no option other than replacing it with something at least serviceable.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I'm not happy to hear about the mat. I bought a cork one anyway so it'll be replaced.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do the Project tables adjust for arm height for different cartridges or mats?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I checked the manual for my RPM1 and the platter has no height adjustment, though there is a little adjustment in the tonearm mount for raising or lowering it. I don't know how much but it's probably less than 3mm either way.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I checked the manual for my RPM1 and the platter has no height adjustment, though there is a little adjustment in the tonearm mount for raising or lowering it. I don't know how much but it's probably less than 3mm either way.
I was curious, thanks. I looked at the Debut Carbon manual and didn't see it, but as it was in German.....mine has a range of settings gauged 0-6 for a range of cartridge heights of 15-21mm.

I wouldn't expect a platter height adjustment, though.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
So, I'm A-B comparing the Onkyo C-7030 CD player connected via RCA and Coax. The RCA connection is definitely louder but I can't say it's clearer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's why you need to level match to do a proper comparison....

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I received my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC yesterday and hooked it up. Levels are not far off from my other components now. Sounds excellent! This 2-channel setup makes coming to work much more enjoyable. Thanks

You have a good, compact amplifier. It's limitations are that it's got room on the back for just a couple of inputs and you have more. The weakest point of your devices is that AT-LP60 turntable. I would try to upgrade that. I know because I owned one and even the slight bump to the one I have now was a HUGE jump in sound quality.

Your current connections are fine, and the DAC in the Onkyo is a pretty good one. Would you notice any difference between that and the one in the 3020? I doubt it...I think they're essentially the same other than the one in the 3020 is probably a Burr-Brown.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Noticeably better than the LP60, eh?

Congratulations!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I received my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC yesterday and hooked it up. Levels are not far off from my other components now. Sounds excellent! This 2-channel setup makes coming to work much more enjoyable. Thanks
That was your issue, different levels compared to other components?

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
That wasn't the issue. It's a bonus though. This is just an all around better turntable

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What do you notice most improved about it? I know from my upgrade from the same Audioquest AT-LP60 what I got, I'm curious what your take on it might be.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis