Apple kills the 3.5mm headphone jack (along with the iPhone)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have seen many many small vendors use these (especially square) so it's another valid point:

I assume some will switch to lighting port (if apple lets them, but we'll see) I'd guess that Apple doesn't allow to use lighting for payment processors otherwise so many did use audio port (which seems counter intuitive and it's likely used due to lack of choice)

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have seen many many small vendors use these (especially square) so it's another valid point:

I assume some will switch to lighting port (if apple lets them, but we'll see) I'd guess that Apple doesn't allow to use lighting for payment processors otherwise so many did use audio port (which seems counter intuitive and it's likely used due to lack of choice)

Wow, we get it, you want your 3.5m Jack, don't buy Apple LOL. Yes it must be some evil conspiracy by Apple to force you to use ApplePay :eek::eek:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, we get it, you want your 3.5m Jack, don't buy Apple LOL. Yes it must be some evil conspiracy by Apple to force you to use ApplePay :eek::eek:
No need to get personal and start mocking me. I am just trying to show possible issues with their decision.
As I said before, Apple has a wonderfully maintained garden, which you apparently got sucked in, but it's tall walls will keep me out of it.
It's not about Apple vs Google, it's about open system vs closed. I value my device and vendor freedom. I value my media to be left alone. I am enjoying open markets and occasional tinkering of sideloading apps. I love how easy to transfer my CD ripped FLACs to my phone or expand storage with large capacity sd card.
I get it - most people don't care about these things and it's fine. Just don't get mocking me.

Coz, Enjoy you walled garden and defend Apple as much as you like. I'm outta this thread. It's ran it course a while ago.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Those card readers are very common but the new ones from Square that support EMV chips already did away with the 3.5mm jack and I would imagine others will follow. Also I would think those readers would still work with the adapter. All they are doing is sending signals through the mic input and that should still function just fine with the adapter.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
No need to get personal and start mocking me. I am just trying to show possible issues with their decision.
As I said before, Apple has a wonderfully maintained garden, which you apparently got sucked in, but it's tall walls will keep me out of it.
It's not about Apple vs Google, it's about open system vs closed. I value my device and vendor freedom. I value my media to be left alone. I am enjoying open markets and occasional tinkering of sideloading apps. I love how easy to transfer my CD ripped FLACs to my phone or expand storage with large capacity sd card.
I get it - most people don't care about these things and it's fine. Just don't get mocking me.

Coz, Enjoy you walled garden and defend Apple as much as you like. I'm outta this thread. It's ran it course a while ago.
It was not a personal attack, I am sorry you took it that way. Can I have tomatoes and carrots in my walled garden though :p.

I will enjoy my Apple phone, and as someone who has used, and currently still does primarily android devices, my garden wall must have a door. As someone who uses a Surface Pro 4 over a MacBook, I must also have a window. (Windows 10 to be exact :)) I also have 2 phones, Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge (Personal T-Mobile). I must also be sitting on the top of my wall, so I could fall either way :confused:

Some innovations work, some don't. Apple was a big proponent of Firewire, that really didn't hit the PC world much. I thought they were crazy when they were one of the first ones to remove the CD/DVD drive in their units, now everyone followed them. Also that they never supported blue ray drives, that annoyed me to no end until streaming and internet providers had enough bandwidth to make them obsolete.

There are two sides to every discussion, and none of it has to involve attacking the other. I also miss the large SD Card, I have a 256GB one sitting on my desk as we speak which was a give away with my Note 7. I also have never gone past 64GB on my phone and don't mind the $1.00/mo for ICloud Storage.

I am not biased towards one phone or the other, quite the opposite Phones I have owned;
EVO, EVO 3D, Motorola Photon, Droid Razor Maxx, Apple IPhone 4S, HTC One M7, HTC One M8, LG G3, Nokia Lumia Icon, Galaxy Note 4, Apple IPhone 6S, Galaxy Edge 7)
Android: 9 IPhone: 3
(Also various Blackberry devices since 2003, Palm Trio / Pre etc.) Dang u Apple for killing off the keyboard with touchscreen!

At the end of the day, I simply used the devices that work best for me or meet my needs. I explained my reason for going back to an iPhone for work. Enjoy your Google Phone, they work very well, my two IT guys use the current model and love it. You won't see me putting up multiple posts or cartoons bashing it, they make a good product.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
personally I don't care if Apple or anyone else eliminates the 3.5 mm plug. These little portable devices like MP3 players and cell phones are not Hi-Fi, that's what a home theatre system is for. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
It's articles like this that really bother me about the deletion of the headphone jack:

http://qz.com/776240/by-scrapping-your-antiquated-headphones-apple-is-doing-something-extraordinary-for-music/

Essentially, trying to say that putting the DAC in the air pods will magically transform music.:rolleyes: While there's no reason to believe that wireless headphones can't sound as good as wired, expecting them to sound better because they are wireless is pure snake oil.
I 100% agree with you that article is straight up wrong, or misrepresented the feature. What was discussed in the launch was to improve the sound of wireless headsets, not to sound better than 3.5 headphone jack.

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
I believe wireless is the way of the future. Everything will likely be wireless in the future........Home theater with no wires for components and speakers.

However, we are not there yet and there is still a sonic compromise when one goes wireless. I've used many bluetooth wireless headsets over the years and although one cannot deny the convenience of them, they still don't measure up to a good set of wired cans.........not to mention the dropouts!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I can't believe people care so much about a non-issue. The biggest complainers are, as always, Android users who complain every single day about everything Apple they possibly can.

$9 for an adapter.
BT headphones at all price points.
Lightning headphones.

Geez, you mean that everything that already exists will continue to work?

Then it's a non-issue and people just need to move on.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I can't believe people care so much about a non-issue. The biggest complainers are, as always, Android users who complain every single day about everything Apple they possibly can.

$9 for an adapter.
BT headphones at all price points.
Lightning headphones.

Geez, you mean that everything that already exists will continue to work?

Then it's a non-issue and people just need to move on.
Agree 100%. Here is a well written article about specs: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/12/12886058/iphone-7-specs-competition

After reading some reviews of the iPhone 7 yesterday I concluded that the Jet Black finish, as pretty as it is, is just too scratch prone. I don't like having a case on my phone so I switched my order to a silver 7 Plus with the added bonus of a quicker shipping time vs. the Jet Black model.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Has Apple adopted anything approaching the durability of Gorilla Glass for their phones? The single most common failure I see is the shattered screens, though the phone will often still work. On my Motorola Droid Maxx and the Droid phones before it, they took some pretty serious drops and abuse but the screens held up.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If I'm not mistaken, they have used GG in the past and are again. I'm not a fan of their products cause the tweaker in me can't take full advantage of the hardware without constantly JBn the devices and proprietary connections.

Has Apple adopted anything approaching the durability of Gorilla Glass for their phones? The single most common failure I see is the shattered screens, though the phone will often still work. On my Motorola Droid Maxx and the Droid phones before it, they took some pretty serious drops and abuse but the screens held up.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Apple uses: ion-strengthened glass, oleophobic coating

There are rumors this is in-fact Gorilla Glass, but contracts allow Apple to not specify it as Gorilla Glass, or some such. Likewise, there are rumors that this is not at all the Corning product at all, but something else.

At the end of the day, the tests seem to show that whatever Apple is using, it is virtually identical to Gorilla Glass from Corning. All issues with breakage are just an issue with glass itself. Stop dropping your phone and you won't have such an issue.

I have never broken a cell phone in my life. Why? Because I'm careful with it. My wife drops hers all the time and broke the screen once. It was back in the day when Apple was definitely using Gorilla Glass.

Hey, it's called glass for a reason.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Agree 100%. Here is a well written article about specs: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/12/12886058/iphone-7-specs-competition

After reading some reviews of the iPhone 7 yesterday I concluded that the Jet Black finish, as pretty as it is, is just too scratch prone. I don't like having a case on my phone so I switched my order to a silver 7 Plus with the added bonus of a quicker shipping time vs. the Jet Black model.

A funny note, I picked my jet black at the Apple store and some guy offered me $200 to trade for the silver. After doing some research, I thought the same thing and I decided to take the offer. Apple Fans are crazy!!:)

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
My indecisiveness means I still have an estimated ship date of 2-3 weeks. :(

EDIT: Well my order has changed from "Processing" to "Preparing for shipment" and my credit card has been charged so it looks like it will be much quicker than the 2-3 week estimate. That is, unless it's on a ship trudging across the ocean. Haha

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
My 7 Plus came on Thursday. I love it. Really it looks just like an enlarged version of my old iPhone 6 but the camera upgrades and 3D Touch capabilities alone are worth the upgrade to me. I am so used to 3D Touch now that I don't know what I'd do without it. The camera with the dual lens and Live Photos is amazing. I was worried that the Plus might be a bit large in my pocket but it is not an issue and now my old phone feels tiny when I hold it. I Couldn't care less about the headphone jack thing. I have a cheap set of Bluetooth headphones on the way from amazon which I was going to buy regardless of whether my phone had a headphone jack or not.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

It will be interesting to see how soon the 3.5mm connector disappears from the iPad. Lots of businesses (including restaurants) around here use iPads with these card swipe systems. Rare do I see the operation that uses a phone.
The case for saving real estate is not as compelling with the iPads.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis