Atmos setup installed on Tuesday! Recommended 1st movie?

C

Chuck Willems

Enthusiast
Just got my marantz sr6011 with atmos receiver installed and currently have following deftech speaker setup

- 1 large center
- 2 tower left and right (bi polar)
- 2 bi polar surround left and right (on sides of the wall hanging)
- 2 surround back speakers in ceiling
- 2 sub up front (powered)

Getting in 2 more in ceiling speakers installed on Tuesday in front of back row to make it a 7.1.2 Atmos setup....

Question is....what would be the movies you would recommend that I get for my first true atmos experience?

Looking to impress the wife given the expense upgrade...from non Atmos amp 7.1 setup.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
S

ScottAllenLogan

Audioholic Intern
The 4K bluray of Mad Max is about the most perfect film for Atmos and HDR combo. The sound design is off the charts amazing. Now, for the questions that your question generated: By "bipolar" do you really mean "dipole", or should you possibly be talking to someone more professionally qualified to look into your issues? ;). Could you mean "bi-amped"? Odd that you would have dipole towers up front, but even more odd that you would have bi-amped surrounds. Also, you say "surround back" that are in-ceiling, and then you're getting two more in-ceiling speakers "in front of back row" to get to 7.1.2, but you have two subs, so that would be 7.2.2 or is it really 7.2.4? I think you need to study the Dolby white sheet and possibly reorganize your layout to better accommodate the full effect of Atmos. Some adjustments may do wonders after you have a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
He's right; Mad Max: Fury Road is the best, both Blu Ray and Ultra Blu Ray. Some other good choices are Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, and the New TMNT and San Andreas(The last two I'd recommend for their sound ONLY).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
+1 for Mad Max.

Ex Machina actually had very good audio also, but not exactly silly grin demo material like Fury Road.

C

Chuck Willems

Enthusiast
Hi Scott & Utop...thanks for responses! Scott apologies for confusion. your right 7.2.2 is what I meant...will eventually create a 7.2.4 (once I get another amp and install 2 more ceiling speaks)

The Fronts are actually called bipolar my friend : ) ...see BP68 Deftech (a bit older-perhaps why you were not familiar)

And regarding the layout...see attached Atmos setup pic from Dolby...I worked with Marantz, deftec reps along with & local AV installer. We just installed the speakers in the attached picture with the circles as my 1st pair of Atmos speakers.

The speakers with red arrows, I am using as my surround sound Backs for now. ...yes they are in ceiling. The marantz audyssey feature compensates for this.

The reason I don't have floor standing Surround sound backs is because I have a table there and can't accommodate floor standing.

Eventually....I will use the speakers with red arrows as my 2nd pair of Atmos speakers and put two more ceiling speakers in where the purple arrows are and use those as my surround sound backs

I know...confusing...all this is based on the recommendations of the above company reps I was working with..

Attachments

S

ScottAllenLogan

Audioholic Intern
Excellent. Looks like you're well on your way to fire up "Mad Max" really loud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'll add The Conjuring 2. I saw it in Atmos and the audio was impressive. Movie was decent too, if you liked the first one.

C

Chuck Willems

Enthusiast
great comments and recommendations! certainly learned a lot from this great site. one thing I am surprised with regarding the the new Marantz amp and new capability from the few movies I have watched (thought I have yet to watch a TRUE ATMOS dvd yet) is the upmixing of DTS or 5.1 Digital to "Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround" mode to utilize the additional speakers.

very cool.

C

Chuck Willems

Enthusiast
Just ordered MM on BR. Thx for recommendations. Also..my sons 8th bday this weekend..will have to rent the TMNT 2 for him as I understand it has a good Atmosphere track.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Just ordered MM on BR. Thx for recommendations. Also..my sons 8th bday this weekend..will have to rent the TMNT 2 for him as I understand it has a good Atmosphere track.
Let's hope it has the Atmos track on it

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
While "Fury Road" will give you an "in your face" Atmos mix, there are better to give you the true spectrum of what Atmos can do.
(Some of these are hard to find but will be worth it just to keep in mind if you can get them)
Best overall use of Atmos:
"Gravity" (diamond luxe edition)
"Lucy" (H.K. import BR or U.S. UHD disc)
"Fifth Element" (Atmos re-release)
"Everest"
"John Wick"
"Mad Max: Fury Road"
Best use of discrete heights:
"Goosebumps"
Best use of Atmos for music or musical score:
"Man From U.N.C.L.E"
"Roger Waters: The Wall"

C

Chuck Willems

Enthusiast
Yes the normal MM BR had the Atmos Track on it. Thx for the recommendations for the other movies. Will have to rent or buy a few more.

Watching Madmax and teenage MNT 2 Definitely noticed a "fuller" and "wider"sound with the Atomos tracks. A different experience. More immersed in the sound of the movie vs it coming at you from the specific channels. Really enjoying it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis