What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
For you Analog lovers,
I just picked up this turntable. Michell gyrodec with a SME arm and a micro benz low output MC cartridge. Kinda overkill for my upstairs system - B&W Signature 7 inwall's, Bryston 9BST, Marantz AV7701, but it does sound significantly better than my old circa 1992 Linn LP12 with a Dynavector Dv20x cartridge
I'm surprised no one caught this. That is one serious turntable and tonearm! I'm not sure the cartridge is in the same league though it's good. Which tonearm from SME did you get and what made you choose that one?

That the unit together sounds better than the well-regarded Linn LP12 isn't a big surprise, there's a lot of technological advances in the new one! When can I pick up the old obsolete stuff? ;)

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
A few months back I purchased a Shaker Logic phono preamp that's built here in NH. Compared it to the Parasound JC3+ and for me the Shaker Logic was the clear winner. The phono has a built in Cinimax 1254 SUT and it just about elimniates the surface noise, The vinyl is dead quiet. Late last week I saw David Plummer (built the Shaker Logic Phono) at my local dealer and I asked him if he could install a mono switch in my phono. Told me no problem. Got it back today and it sounds terrific. Just a flip of a switch, no extra box or cables love the addition.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Was that at AV Therapy or over at Fidelis? I've never been to Fidelis as John, Mark, Scott, Amanda and the others at AV Therapy have been SO good to me I don't think I'm missing anything. I know what lines Fidelis has and most are beyond my reach. Plenty of what AV Therapy is beyond me too and they know it (I told them), but never have I felt spoken down to by anyone there. And they let me listen to the good stuff upstairs when they're not too busy.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
Been a steady customer at AV Therapy/Ensemble for about 20 years. Dave does a lot of work for John fixing audio equipment. He's kept my 25 year old Threshold amps in excellent shape over the years. David is retired from R&D in Radar Technology. He has a Masters in Math from Harvard. I do go to Fidelis on occasion as they have an excellent used record selection. They also pay cash for used records. They also let me demo some of the records I'm going to buy. Last time the setup was a VAC Integrated a $5000 Acoustic Signature TT and a pair of Harbeth 40.2 speakers. But for audio video gear AV Therapy is my Number One destination.

Mike Ruby

Mike Ruby

Audioholic Intern
I'm surprised no one caught this. That is one serious turntable and tonearm! I'm not sure the cartridge is in the same league though it's good. Which tonearm from SME did you get and what made you choose that one?

That the unit together sounds better than the well-regarded Linn LP12 isn't a big surprise, there's a lot of technological advances in the new one! When can I pick up the old obsolete stuff? ;)
It's actually a Michelle Orbe SE, and after spending some time with the springs I think I'm getting there. It has a SME series 4, Vi magnesium tonearm. The tonearm came with the TT and the Tone arm mounting plate is designed for the SME. I sold this to an old customer 14 yrs ago and his wife contacted me to see if I was interested. I suggested the tonearm to him honestly because I always found the SME arms very easy to set up well. I could never afford it new. I think it was 2-3k.
I agree the cartridge could be upgraded, but at least it is the low output version of the glider.

I also aquired his Ayre K1x preamp. No surprise but the difference between a phonomena phono preamp hooked up to my Marantz AV preamp versus the K1x is pretty substantial, but I think it's about three times the cost of the Marantz and has only 2 channels. The Ayre has balanced inputs for the phono input and the tonearm cable has balanced outputs kinda funky but cool.

There is great value in older equipment especially separates. My Bryston amps have been hooked up to three different AV preamps through the years. The technology moves quickly through HDMI versions, Surround formats, but a great amp from 15 years is better than any receiver out there.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Got some small cheap Height speakers for the PJ setup. Didn't need anything fancy just for helicopter/planes movies, which won't be frequent so I got these. Decent reviews and got them under 20 bucks on the bay. :)
Acoustic Audio AA321B

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Got some small cheap Height speakers for the PJ setup. Didn't need anything fancy just for helicopter/planes movies, which won't be frequent so I got these. Decent reviews and got them under 20 bucks on the bay. :)
Acoustic Audio AA321B

I'd be interested to know how that works for you as an effects only option!
Let us know after you've had a chance to try them out (and try not to wait 6 months before you open them!;))

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well they are not Bi-poles, but they should do fine. Nope KEW these will go up quickly. :) I'm gonna test Top Gun on Netflix and of course the movie Flight Of The Phoenix, which I have on BD. Movies with rain/storms are cool too, so realistic sounding. FUN! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like nice stuff, though I'll admit to being no fan of horns. What's the build plan?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
No, actually. :)

I wrongly assumed you "bought stuff" with some purpose in mind. Perhaps you just like to cuddle up to woofers & tweeters. How presumptuous of me, so sorry. :D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Ha...I ordered a couple of discs from Amazon.ca using my wife's account...I mentioned to her that I had and she brushed it off because she hates Roger Hodgson voice and Supertramp in general. .. the other was Cream live 2005 concert at the Albert Hall in London.

When she got the email notice items have shipped she actually laughed out loud...she thought I was kidding about the ST cd...lol.
Nope...both will be heard throughout the house once they arrive.:D

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Ha...I ordered a couple of discs from Amazon.ca using my wife's account...I mentioned to her that I had and she brushed it off because she hates Roger Hodgson voice and Supertramp in general. .. the other was Cream live 2005 concert at the Albert Hall in London.

When she got the email notice items have shipped she actually laughed out loud...she thought I was kidding about the ST cd...lol.
Nope...both will be heard throughout the house once they arrive.:D
Careful. She might respond by going shoe shopping during your listening sessions. Consider getting yourself some nice headphones. They could save you money in the long run.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Careful. She might respond by going shoe shopping during your listening sessions. Consider getting yourself some nice headphones. They could save you money in the long run.
I dunno the cost of some high quality HP....shoes might be the lesser of two evils...lol

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I order this from Amazon... I have the 2nd and the last album on vinyl contained in this group. Both albums were very well recorded...would even consider them as reference level recordings on vinyl. Problem is, I didn't have real turntable at the time so they got chewed up bad. So for about $17 including taxes, I get these two albums and three more.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just order this on CD used in very good condition for $1.29 Cdn. Shipping costs me twice as much :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis