New DIY MTM Towers designed by Dennis Murphy and Paul Kittinger

F

FingerlessHackWoodworker

Audioholic Intern
Nice looking hunk of wood, looks like your dog would like to give it a chew ! So, do you use a large
band saw to slice off the 1/4" pieces (isn't this what they call resawing ? )? Do you feed the whole chunk through or cut it into more manageable lengths first. Good luck with the process, looks like beautiful wood.

Dave
Yea, she was not happy being in the hot and sticky garage, nor was I. Correct, I will use my band saw to resaw. I do not have a huge band saw but probably bigger than the average. I was very lucky years ago to afford it. You bring up a good point; which I have been contemplating since I bought the stick. I had planned on NOT cutting the stick into manageable lengths (approx. speaker height). However, each time I did a test mock-run of cutting the in-tack stick, I felt unsure of my ability to control the length and weight. Probably could manage it, but don't want to risk it due to the cost of the stick. So probably will cut from board two lengths of at least 45". Each of these lengths will be cut into six 1/4" panels (total of 12). Each of the 1/4" panels will be divided up into veneers for left, right, front, and back faces. After all the resawing is completed, veneers will be smoothed/planned down to slightly greater than 1/4" thickness-- will leave just enough extra thickness for finish-sanding or possibly finish scrapping.

My piece should be at least as good as this one, knock on wood (figure wise, maybe a little tighter):
curlyMapleSample.PNG

Last edited:
D

David LR

Junior Audioholic
Yea, she was not happy being in the hot and sticky garage, nor was I. Correct, I will use my band saw to resaw. I do not have a huge band saw but probably bigger than the average. I was very lucky years ago to afford it. You bring up a good point; which I have been contemplating since I bought the stick. I had planned on NOT cutting the stick into manageable lengths (approx. speaker height). However, each time I did a test mock-run of cutting the in-tack stick, I felt unsure of my ability to control the length and weight. Probably could manage it, but don't want to risk it due to the cost of the stick. So probably will cut from board two lengths of at least 45". Each of these lengths will be cut into six 1/4" panels (total of 12). Each of the 1/4" panels will be divided up into veneers for left, right, front, and back faces. After all the resawing is completed, veneers will be smoothed/planned down to slightly greater than 1/4" thickness-- will leave just enough extra thickness for finish-sanding or possibly finish scrapping.

My piece should be at least as good as this one, knock on wood (figure wise, maybe a little tighter):
View attachment 18405
Nice ! Should be a beautiful pair of speakers. Looking forward to your finished product.

A

AuralFission

Enthusiast
Hi everyone! I'm currently in the finishing stage for these speakers, so I've been looking at A/V receivers to power them (I'm building the center at the same time). My top candidate so far is the Marantz NR1606 because it is supposedly good for music. However, I'm not sure if 50 watts is enough to properly power these speakers at low volume (I live in a townhouse and don't plan on listening at high levels).

Can anyone please comment on their experiences with different amps and/or A/V receivers with these speakers? Does anyone feel like there is a certain wattage needed to properly do these justice?

R

roadrune

Audioholic
I use a Denon Avr-2313 rated at 105w i feel it's to weak.

Once i finished them i used a Hegel H80 rated at 80w (real watts) and that was sufficient, however this is a high quality stereo amp, and the watt rating is not at all comparible to any avr imo.

I would GUESS that realistic watt rating on avr's is at most about a third of what the manufacturer claims.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hi everyone! I'm currently in the finishing stage for these speakers, so I've been looking at A/V receivers to power them (I'm building the center at the same time). My top candidate so far is the Marantz NR1606 because it is supposedly good for music. However, I'm not sure if 50 watts is enough to properly power these speakers at low volume (I live in a townhouse and don't plan on listening at high levels).

Can anyone please comment on their experiences with different amps and/or A/V receivers with these speakers? Does anyone feel like there is a certain wattage needed to properly do these justice?
The Marantz AVR you mentioned is said to produce 50 watts per channel, when two channels are driven under standard FTC conditions. If more channels are driven, such as 5, the power per channel will be lower, but how low is unknown. I believe a somewhat more powerful AVR (75-100 watt/channel – 2 channels driven) would be of some benefit for you.

Although an 'honest' 50 watts/channel should be enough to drive these speakers, more power (easily as high as 250 w/c) will not hurt them. It can always be difficult to say exactly how much power to use for a set of speakers, as room dimensions, speaker & listener locations, and listening preferences can differ greatly.

R

roadrune

Audioholic
So the ER's got a bigger brother for the real punch in movies

image.jpeg

It ain't that big, i am only 6' :)
image.jpeg

And it got a matching littlebrother.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Surrounds next :)

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Jealousy like!

Me too but not for a few years, toddlers have poor reliability concerning my speakers :oops:

R

roadrune

Audioholic
Second pair finished, two seeks after i got the mdf sheets:)

A diy Hypex amp can be seen on the right speaker (this is the surrounds)

IMG_0961.JPG

R

roadrune

Audioholic
Since the question of suiting surrounds apear in the thread every now and then, i can give you my experience;

As you can see abowe i built a second pair of ER's as surrounds, i never got that to sound all that great ( might be room issues), so i decided to try the Overnight Sensations recommended in this thread.

I ended up with 4 of the Bipoles for a 7.1 system (having a ER15 center and ER18 mains) this sounded a lot better.

Recently i got a new AVR with Atmos capability, so i decided to build 8 new surrounds with the drivers i had in the bipoles, so heres the build thread on those with full instuctions: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/heavily-modyfied-os-for-surround-and-atmos-use.106191/

The thread seems a bit overlooked, but now it can be found for everyone wanting small good sounding surrounds for a low pricetag.

R

roadrune

Audioholic
After living with theese for a while, several audiophile buddies independently have pointed out severe lacks in the midrange in both of my pairs (being more of a basshead i cant hear the same, but again i am not good at pointing out what excactly is the problem with my ears).

Could this be from the fact that i made a flat baffle, without the radius at the bottom, and no roundovers, or could i have done anything else wrong, like crossovers?

The ER's should be connected in parallell?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
After living with theese for a while, several audiophile buddies independently have pointed out severe lacks in the midrange in both of my pairs (being more of a basshead i cant hear the same, but again i am not good at pointing out what excactly is the problem with my ears).

Could this be from the fact that i made a flat baffle, without the radius at the bottom, and no roundovers, or could i have done anything else wrong, like crossovers?

The ER's should be connected in parallell?
How close to you have your speakers to the walls? TL speakers need some room to breathe. Does it improve their response if you move them out from the wall?

R

roadrune

Audioholic
We have tried different placements in 4 different rooms, but no more than 1m from front wall and 60cm from sidewalls.

Does the TL have any effect in the midrange?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
We have tried different placements in 4 different rooms, but no more than 1m from front wall and 60cm from sidewalls.

Does the TL have any effect in the midrange?
I guess not. Can you measure the response? Wonder whether it's possible that you've got the polarity reversed on your tweeters causing a suckout at the crossover point?

R

roadrune

Audioholic
Its mainly male vocals and guitars that sounds strange (and partly missing where there is alot of information at the same time), which is well below 2k where the crossover point is, so i can not imagine that being the problem.

One friend who have a great system (Electrocompaniet Aw180/B&W cdm9nt) have tried them for a couple of days on the EC's discribed them as tireing in the mids, but great both at bass and highs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis