A

Audiohrdwr

Enthusiast
hi to all.
we have been working hard on our sound system that can be used with the Raspberry PI or our own single board computer.

system includes the actual quad core single board computer, our DAC with subwhoofer out 2.1 , our amplifier 2 x 50W , a reclocker board to reduce jitter when streaming from the SBC and accessories (acrylic enclosure, power supply...).

We are interested in placing a few system in the hands of contributing community members to get some feedback.

I can offer detailed tech specs on the devices. See attached image .
Anyone interested?

Attachments

A

Audiohrdwr

Enthusiast
Hi and thanks for the reply...
yeah its not easy.. I know.
Well look, its the first i talk about it.
maybe if I share more tech info others would be tempted...

let me know... we are shipping out the first samples tomorrow.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi and thanks for the reply...
yeah its not easy.. I know.
Well look, its the first i talk about it.
maybe if I share more tech info others would be tempted...

let me know... we are shipping out the first samples tomorrow.
Well, from post#1 you said
"I can offer detailed tech specs on the devices"

I understand not wanting to share it on a forum, that is why I sent my inquiry via PM.

What are your conditions for the testing? How long is the trial, what do you expect in return, etc?

A

Audiohrdwr

Enthusiast
I am more than willing to share more info!
Just wanted to make sure its the right place to do it...

here is what sets our system apart...

We have designed a new DAC working with any SBC/RPI (i2s)
We are using 2 DAC ics PCM5142 with integrated DSP. The PurePath software from TI is available for download (registration required) and can be used to create specific filters and other audio functions.
The board will come pre programed as a 2.1 output (but you can create your own custom design and load it the board and can access the xover frequency directly from linux (we made a small app)
Hardware wise , we have split the digital and analog side with LDOs and we feed the analog side using an extremely capable (low noise ultrahigh psrr) LT3042. Basically each board has 4 LDO (2 for each DAC ic) (note that digital side uses cheaper LDOs)
Of course , on the analog side we used only thin film resistors and poly caps in audiopath.
This DAC has RCA outputs but also a small connector that will connect to our TPA3118 AMP shield (only LR)
I am including a video of the Purepath so you can see the capabilities of soft. We are able to have 4 poles crossover filters , volume etc for files that are 24/192Khz
We send only HPF frequency's over 80Hz (chose from 60-150Hz) to main speakers and rest LPF to subwoofer.
Its hard to explain the sound improvement , but he unit sounds clean , effortless .

Also, in the past few months we have worked very hard on a new shield for RPIs/SBCs.
Basically the main idea belongs to Ian's. His hardware is actually superior to ours , mostly in the way he implemented the clocks and to the attention of the detail (like mounting xtals on a pcb supported by elastics ). So we credit Ian's idea and his great design.
Our hardware/soft is not a copy , its an implementation of the same idea. We use a FPGA and sram to buffer the DATA and we reclock bclk/mclk outside the FPGA using NDK (or Crystek) . The board has an eprom but its not HAT complaint (because of the space). FCC will be available for the board.
Main reason for making the board was to try to correct the audio clocks of SBCs and bring high quality audio to anyone that has an SBC around..for a great price.

You can use our own SPARKY single board computer or the RPI along with our VOLT amp to have a complete system

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am more than willing to share more info!
Just wanted to make sure its the right place to do it...

here is what sets our system apart...

We have designed a new DAC working with any SBC/RPI (i2s)
We are using 2 DAC ics PCM5142 with integrated DSP. The PurePath software from TI is available for download (registration required) and can be used to create specific filters and other audio functions.
The board will come pre programed as a 2.1 output (but you can create your own custom design and load it the board and can access the xover frequency directly from linux (we made a small app)
Hardware wise , we have split the digital and analog side with LDOs and we feed the analog side using an extremely capable (low noise ultrahigh psrr) LT3042. Basically each board has 4 LDO (2 for each DAC ic) (note that digital side uses cheaper LDOs)
Of course , on the analog side we used only thin film resistors and poly caps in audiopath.
This DAC has RCA outputs but also a small connector that will connect to our TPA3118 AMP shield (only LR)
I am including a video of the Purepath so you can see the capabilities of soft. We are able to have 4 poles crossover filters , volume etc for files that are 24/192Khz
We send only HPF frequency's over 80Hz (chose from 60-150Hz) to main speakers and rest LPF to subwoofer.
Its hard to explain the sound improvement , but he unit sounds clean , effortless .

Also, in the past few months we have worked very hard on a new shield for RPIs/SBCs.
Basically the main idea belongs to Ian's. His hardware is actually superior to ours , mostly in the way he implemented the clocks and to the attention of the detail (like mounting xtals on a pcb supported by elastics ). So we credit Ian's idea and his great design.
Our hardware/soft is not a copy , its an implementation of the same idea. We use a FPGA and sram to buffer the DATA and we reclock bclk/mclk outside the FPGA using NDK (or Crystek) . The board has an eprom but its not HAT complaint (because of the space). FCC will be available for the board.
Main reason for making the board was to try to correct the audio clocks of SBCs and bring high quality audio to anyone that has an SBC around..for a great price.

You can use our own SPARKY single board computer or the RPI along with our VOLT amp to have a complete system
Well, in general I'll say that I'm liking what I'm seeing here.

What is your price point going to be on this?

As I mentioned via PM, I think your .1 channel may be where you get a competitive advantage.

DSP--is that ONLY for the X-over?

And the interface? That will be wi-fi with Volumio or Rune? Any local interface options?

That is my biggest complaint with Volumio/Rune--I love these applications, but it would be nice to move along and not be required to have a wi-fi connection to access the interface. On the other hand, it is nice to control it with ANY wi-fi device that can access a web page.

@TLS Guy what do you think?

Last edited:
A

Audiohrdwr

Enthusiast
hey guys,

thanks for the positive feedback so far.
Looking to post 2 threads about the DAC and reclocker board... where do you recommend to do it?
I posted about the complete system in the Home Theater.

to answer your questions,
the Purepath software provided by TI has all the features of the DSP. You can check it there.

Interfaces are Wifi / ethernet and USB.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
hi to all.
we have been working hard on our sound system that can be used with the Raspberry PI or our own single board computer.

system includes the actual quad core single board computer, our DAC with subwhoofer out 2.1 , our amplifier 2 x 50W , a reclocker board to reduce jitter when streaming from the SBC and accessories (acrylic enclosure, power supply...).

We are interested in placing a few system in the hands of contributing community members to get some feedback.

I can offer detailed tech specs on the devices. See attached image .
Anyone interested?
So, what's the the story on "placing a few systems in the hands of contributing community members to get some feedback"

:rolleyes:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So, what's the the story on "placing a few systems in the hands of contributing community members to get some feedback"

:rolleyes:
I had PM convo with OP and he mentioned "review" - I pretty much told him same thing....

A

Audiohrdwr

Enthusiast
Guys, it was never my intention to spam in any way... Maybe a newbie mistake... but not spammer.
I was looking for a place to start a discussion about what we had achieved with our hardware and get some feedback and offer to members the chance to test it...
I realized that here was not the best spot and wanted to clean up by posting threads in the Home Theater section which would be more appropriate...I thought that this thread would get erased.

I am sorry if it came across like this... But its not at all what I wanted.

I still hope that someone is interested in taking a closer look at our DAC and reclocker board for SBCs so we can talk about it.

Please let me know what's the best way of doing that.
thanks

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Item for eval arrived safely. It was well packed. Upon brief initial inspection, I like what I see here!

I have some work to do here. I've read about half of the instruction manual.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis